Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

The lack of juice is a little meh. Over that long a timeframe it won't get the job done around metro areas. But big improvement. 

Lol! Def would if the gfs depiction comes to fruition. EC/Canadian/rgem have temps in the mid 20s in the metro on Thursday.

Just now, DDweatherman said:

With temps under 30 it would. 

The temps won't be the issue this time. We wouldn't get under the bands necessary to get to those levels. In reality it would be spotty and riddled with subsidence. But it's just one run of one model that improved toward better guidance so I don't want to act like I'm bummed about it or anything. 

• Weenie 1

Just now, chris21 said:

Lol! Def would if the gfs depiction comes to fruition. EC/Canadian/rgem have temps in the mid 20s in the metro on Thursday.

As mentioned in reply to a similar post, the temps wouldn't be the issue. We wouldn't get that QPF stack in that scenario. It was too light around our area and the GFS operational can't depict subsidence. Again, it was another massive improvement though so overall very happy with this run. 

The temps won't be the issue this time. We wouldn't get under the bands necessary to get to those levels. In reality it would be spotty and riddled with subsidence. But it's just one run of one model that improved toward better guidance so I don't want to act like I'm bummed about it or 

1 minute ago, ravensrule said:

Not for the Baltimore beltway. 

Not even for the northern half of the dc beltway... 7-10.

As mentioned in reply to a similar post, the temps wouldn't be the issue. We wouldn't get that QPF stack in that scenario. It was too light around our area and the GFS operational can't depict subsidence. Again, it was another massive improvement though so overall very happy with this run. 

This is more of an overrunning situation, not like the previous two storms where intense banding resulted in large areas of subsidence. Overrunning tends to be far more uniform.

• Like 2

I’m not disagreeing 100%, but part of your logic is off. A weaker wave that causes lighter Precip would also be accompanied by less SW flow. Temps almost across the board look upper 20’s at most. Decent rates at all and it accumulates most places. 

edit to also say what Chris said about the subsidence is partially true as well. More uniform areas of Precip are to be expected, even if the overall scheme isn’t terribly heavy.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chris21 said:

This is more of an overrunning situation, not like the previous two storms where intense banding resulted in large areas of subsidence. Overrunning tends to be far more uniform.

That's true, but I don't think it's totally removed from that situation and even the model shows better lift to the north. I know I'm kind of contradicting myself there but I'm just going by experience. For example even if I lived in Ellicott City still I'd be much happier with that scenario verbatim. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol. Waaay too much sweating over 13 mile shifts and uneven qpf distribution. Save that stuff for when it really matters. Like 0z tomorrow. If your yard is still inside of the general idea, you should be elated really. 

For my part I'm just dissecting. Overall very happy with this run. Massive improvement every run since 0z. 

The interesting part to me is that second wave continues to look like it’s strengthening. Noticed that on the icon as well. Yesterday that was dampening out in the Ohio valley and then giving us some light snow after. Now it looks to be strengthening before it moves toward us.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic