Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Well, I think it might end up being more distinctly 2 waves with a gap in the middle.  Even if the gap is only ~12 hours.

Even an occurrence like that is unusual.

My wag is the first one is a flush hit for the northern third of the region and a bit mixy south, and the second one is somewhat suppressed, but hopefully not a whiff.

• Like 1

If my memory serves me (and it may not) waves like this are usually 3 to 5 inch events (higher in the higher spots).. So we get two, which would net 6 to 10 inches (maybe?).. I would think. A long while ago in the early 90s (yep..) I remember tracking one of something like this and it was a 3 to 6 inch event .. I was an intern at the Climate Analysis Center at the time... but it quickly moved through. So two, seems like a double of the same thing. On to the model analysis! 

• Like 1

Just now, midatlanticweather said:

If my memory serves me (and it may not) waves like this are usually 3 to 5 inch events (higher in the higher spots).. So we get two, which would net 6 to 10 inches (maybe?).. I would think. A long while ago in the early 90s (yep..) I remember tracking one of something like this and it was a 3 to 6 inch event .. I was an intern at the Climate Analysis Center at the time... but it quickly moved through. So two, seems like a double of the same thing. On to the model analysis! 

Jackpot of 10 seems pretty reasonable if you get something like the euro. Gut says somewhere in the latitudes between DC and Baltimore gets it.

1 minute ago, baltosquid said:

Jackpot of 10 seems pretty reasonable if you get something like the euro. Gut says somewhere in the latitudes between DC and Baltimore gets it.

This doesn't seem like a particularly juicy setup to me. If there are in fact 2 waves that hit the same area, then yeah maybe there will be some 8" amounts. Cant say I can recall seeing this happen before in a configuration like this(and be all snow), but certainly not impossible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Ptype panels arent out yet on TT, but it looks like it's NW compared to 12z. Gets the immediate area into some precip at 84 but the run ends right there. Comparing hr 84 to 78 on 12z shows how the axis has shifted NW. 

I saw this and verbatim it looks to favor the southern areas.  But you’re right that it is north of its prior run.

640993DC-08E4-44D1-86C3-DF6BE1D1FCFD.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

I remember a very similar situation in February 1996 if that’s what you’re referring to. I think @psuhoffman may have already mentioned it.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic