• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

both waves still reach us and i don't see much change with the waa at 850, but looks like precip has been getting cut back slightly the last several runs.  that might just be because there's not much of a surface reflection at all.  the weekend system is the one that looks like it could trend better.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

not even close to what 00z showed for wave 2 per gfs. getting sick of stuff falling apart as it closes in on us

You have somehow avoided a flush hit and that’s kinda frustrating...I do get that everything has to be in perspective and given the amazingly good pattern you could easily have 10” more with some luck, but still you’re only like 4” from going above climo (I’m about 8) and that’s a very likely number to reach given the look ahead. So it’s not been that bad. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You have somehow avoided a flush hit and that’s kinda frustrating...I do get that everything has to be in perspective and given the amazingly good pattern you could easily have 10” more with some luck, but still you’re only like 4” from going above climo (I’m about 8) and that’s a very likely number to reach given the look ahead. So it’s not been that bad. 

Some of the frustration/pessimism from many in this forum is that despite a great pattern, multiple threats, and multiple WSWs, many of us are in that boat. Here in Towson, which usually does pretty well in the snow department (for Central MD, at least), our best event was 4 droopy inches over 3 days...and we just went from a 4-7-inch WSW to a slushy half inch of nothing. Favored spots N and W always do better - and that's to be expected - but the dichotomy is starker than usual, and some suburban locations that usually do respectably have been underperforming so far - and that's after several years of almost nothing. We need a forum-wide overperformer for morale, if nothing else, so seeing the first signs of concern for this already unusual event is simply going to evoke that "here we go again" feeling for a lotttt of folks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I wish I was that close to climo... BWI region has had it much worse than NoVA this year, so... perspective.  I think BWI climo is 18" and we've seen around 7-8". Not sure what their official tally is at this point.

• Like 1

The GFS did cut back on total qpf. But it brought it more in line with the other models. A lot of that qpf for the Winchester area comes from a lucky band with the second wave. In the end I think this ends up a 4-8 event for everyone. Cant really complain about that. Except the fact that it takes 2 full days to get there. 

• Like 1

3.8 at DCA, spread over 5 or 6 days total. LOL. Other urban hear islands in the northeast have done more than cash in.  Just give me decent temps at all levels and I’ll take my chances with QPF.  Systems this season have not been moisture starved. Not going to fret about a 0.1 change from run to run. I will fret if we are at 32-33 but have that extra 0.1. 

• Like 3

CMC only has about a 4 hour lull out here. Pretty much snows from hour 36 to 74. And I get a whopping .8 total qpf out of that. One thing that seems to be coming into agreement from the models is less than an inch of total qpf from this through Friday. Pretty paltry for a 2 and a half day storm.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

CMC only has about a 4 hour lull out here. Pretty much snows from hour 36 to 74. And I get a whopping .8 total qpf out of that. One thing that seems to be coming into agreement from the models is less than an inch of total qpf from this through Friday. Pretty paltry for a 2 and a half day storm.

That sounds great to me honestly. I'll gladly take another long duration 6-10 event with plenty of more opportunities behind it.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic