joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm sorry ... "froude number"   ?

It is a Vermont thing:

https://www.weather.gov/btv/profileFroude#:~:text=The Froude Number represents the,chain versus the atmospheric stability.

The Froude Number represents the flow of air when it comes in contact with a barrier, in Vermont's case, the Green Mountains. It is an estimation of whether the flow can make it over the mountains or not and is basically a ratio of the wind perpendicular to the mountain chain versus the atmospheric stability.

Under northwesterly flow, if the Froude Number is low (< 1), or subcritical and blocked, the air will not make it over the mountain and the precipitation will back up and fall primarily along the spine of the Green Mountains and the western slopes. If it is very low (< 0.5), the precipitation will back further west into parts of the eastern Champlain Valley and the western slopes of the Green Mountains.

If the Froude Number is high (> 1), or supercritical and unblocked, the air will flow freely over the mountains and deposit the heaviest precipitation on the east side. A Froude Number near 1 is critical and the heaviest precipitation will likely fall along the barrier. For more information on the Froude Number, please click here.

Lots more inc pretty graphics here:

https://www.weather.gov/btv/froude

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's some sweet banding going over LI....that should be cranking up into SNE later on

Or 'cracking' up ... not sure which.

Looking at that...it appears to be an usually long IB/WAA event over the elevated frontal interface, but..the models seem to hint at abandoning that ascent mechanic - or attenuating it ..such that we don't quite get the same proficiency that we see in those rad animations there, up here...  But, I wonder if that's too cutesy with the handling and not real? 

This thing's a pain in the ass

I feel confident in a foot plus at BOS. 

This seems like a deal where extremely far east coastal locations struggle in that 4-10" range max. Some areas of cape Ann and far eastern portions of the south shore. 

Might tickle the taint here but anywhere west of coast In BOS by a few miles should get smoked aka blue hills Jerry Jamaica Plain Brookline and all Boston suburbs. Houghs neck and Squantum are examples of places you DON'T wanna be. My house in dot may have several inches more than Houghs neck and several inches less than Brookline. 

We'll see. It will be fun. I'm getting ready to go deliver packages. Today at work should be an absolute disaster. I'm on shift until 8pm in a uhaul van with rear wheel drive.