Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You may want to address that ice damming issue you look to have in those valleys of that roof sooner rather then later, A roof rake goes a long ways, Surprised they didn't go with a metal roof so that snow would unload.

It’s on the list to be addressed. There are even worse spots on the southern exposure where the sun melts more. It’s kind of a tough situation because obviously gutters and downspouts would be destroyed by late November here. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

It’s on the list to be addressed. There are even worse spots on the southern exposure where the sun melts more. It’s kind of a tough situation because obviously gutters and downspouts would be destroyed by late November here. 

Gutters wont help that, That would just back things up worse, A metal roof though would do wonders for you.

prolly not gonna verify as is ... obviously, but the D10 Euro's looking rather spring -like already.

I still suspect this is a different spring complexion comparing recent years -.. I figure it for a move over in March... thinking the 2nd week ?  

But it makes sense to see early extended ranges start nudging the suggestion along like this - ...if we were waiting until March 3 to get a solution on D10 that looks like that 850 mb thermal layout...I'd be pushing things out to the end of the month.  But this gives it time to fail ... come again...fail...then start to stick -

Also, the AO still recovers to neutral or modestly positive SD  out there beyond the 20th... and with the PNA trying to collapse ... I don't know where sustaining winter into March can really come from with this hemisphere of La Nina + HC being free to expand heights over the Americas ..They want that, then dipping the PNA may synergistically realize a bigger proportional response to the base-line statistical suggestion -

That means weakly -PNA = higher heights thaan one might think. 

This isn't a March thread though...  I still suspect February is good for at least 10 days and negotiable for another week after that ... 

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You may want to address that ice damming issue you look to have in those valleys of that roof sooner rather then later, A roof rake goes a long ways, Surprised they didn't go with a metal roof so that snow would unload.

Yeah, the barn has a hunter green metal roof and it looks amazing. Definitely want the same on the main house. Makes it look like a Tahoe ski lodge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah just avoid the ugly cutter and you’ll keep the pristine look to the pack. Even an Ottawa cutter won’t wipe it out at this point, but nobody wants a 20 inch glacier either after 1-2” of rain and a refreeze.

That’s some impressive icicle action there. I was up on the roof here yesterday (and likely going back out there today) getting rid of the ice dams. One thing I hate about living where I do...I’m in that climate belt where it’s marginal to have traditional gutters. A little bit colder/snowier and you ditch the traditional gutters...you are well into that territory. Further south and you usually don’t have to worry because stuff melts frequently enough...but here is that annoying zone where every few winters, it turns into this weeks-long battle. 

My south roof is cleaned out after I roof raked. North roof is an ice dam. I raked it and there are open spots but time for the nylons filled with rock salt. I do have ice snow protection layers under the new roof.

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

prolly not gonna verify as is ... obviously, but the D10 Euro's looking rather spring -like already.

I still suspect this is a different spring complexion comparing recent years -.. I figure it for a move over in March... thinking the 2nd week ?  

But it makes sense to see early extended ranges start nudging the suggestion along like this - ...if we were waiting until March 3 to get a solution on D10 that looks like that 850 mb thermal layout...I'd be pushing things out to the end of the month.  But this gives it time to fail ... come again...fail...then start to stick -

Also, the AO still recovers to neutral or modestly positive SD  out there beyond the 20th... and with the PNA trying to collapse ... I don't know where sustaining winter into March can really come from with this hemisphere of La Nina + HC being free to expand heights over the Americas ..They want that, then dipping the PNA may synergistically realize a bigger proportional response to the base-line statistical suggestion -

That means weakly -PNA = higher heights thaan one might think. 

This isn't a March thread though...  I still suspect February is good for at least 10 days and negotiable for another week after that ... 

Imagine how warm your car will be.

• Weenie 1

29 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

NAO doesn't even look bad either

Winter isn't done at all

Done when?     what time do you think folks are extrapolating for -   ...

tonight?  Tomorrow?    ... 

Mid March

in global f'ing warming with a La Nina spring climo - yeah... winters over ;)