joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 24-26th Something Potential

Chicago Storm

4 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

#stopthenorthshift. Starting this now. Haha

Awesome... ;-)

Hopefully cooler heads prevail and everyone chills out on the track for 24ish hours until this thing becomes more clear... 

Whole bunch of people are potentially in the money, we all have bingo cards with 4 in a row, just waiting on that 5th number. Some will win, someone will lose. 

Give me 2 inches of totally frozen precip vs all the mess storms we've had in N IL thus far and I'm a happy man. 

Happy Friday everyone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A little skeptical of the model depictions that have it getting above freezing over 100 miles north of the surface low track (besides any possible marine influences), especially lacking an obnoxiously warm layer aloft that far north.  Still have time to hone in on that though.

21 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Last 6"+ snowstorm

Detroit- Jan 18, 2020 - Chicago- Nov 26, 2018

Last 8"+ snowstorm

Detroit- Nov 11, 2019 - Chicago- Nov 26, 2018

Last 10"+ snowstorm 

Detroit- Feb 9, 2018 - Chicago- Nov 21, 2015

Last 12"+ snowstorm

Detroit- Feb 1, 2015 - Chicago- Feb 1, 2015

Wow, Chicago hasn’t had a 6” storm in over 2 years?

40 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

18z GEFS Mean...
a77923e1822c7cc2de435371bbf980f8.jpg

ding ding ding...regardless of where the exact swath of heavy snow sets up, there are fewer clunker members than before.  Not completely eliminated, but progress. And the map is 10:1 ratios.  If the 18z and 0z Euro ensembles follow suit, I think we're in business.

• Like 3

Snow:liquid ratios probably won’t be spectacular given the DGZ is only 100mb deep, strong winds from 700 to the surface and a temp profile flirting w the freezing mark, at least from IL on east. I’d say average 8-12:1. 
Another reminder that QPF is poorly modeled and often too high (w some exceptions....NAM cold sector for instance). 

56 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Lowkey counting on it, it just has that vibe.

55 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

It sure does.

As an optimistic person, I love to see the optimism! However, I would probably never ever “count on” a snowstorm that’s not in the northeast dumping 20(+) inches of snow. I wasn’t even confident that GHD 1 was going to verify to the kinda-sorta way it did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Euro has 35-40mph winds later Monday, with 45kt+ at 925mb.

I think we will be pushing blizzard criteria in some areas, even if the ratios and thus blowing and drifting are held in check a little.  There's a signal for a period of heavy rates, so even if the blowing is a bit muted, the rates may be able to do a lot of the work to get down toward/under 1/4 mile visibility.