• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow-ice-rain for the NYC forum 7PM Mon 1/25-6AM Wednesday 1/27

wdrag

The GFS is still not very enthused about snow. 1-2" positive depth change N&W with little or nothing for the City or coast. As depicted, rain washes away what little does accumulate initially.

I think we can beat the GFS estimates, but it's a good starting point. We'll see how the radar looks tomorrow morning...

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

The GFS is still not very enthused about snow. 1-2" positive depth change N&W with little or nothing for the City or coast. As depicted, rain washes away what little does accumulate initially.

I think we can beat the GFS estimates, but it's a good starting point. We'll see how the radar looks tomorrow morning...

Gfs drills the Catskills but ugly closer to the coast. Hope to get at least a 1-2 inches. 

Good Tuesday morning.  A minor widespread event will begin in the NYS, NYC, NJ/PA portion of the forum 830AM-1230PM with a burst of snow-sleet. From there, it's modeling and our guesses. The start in the CT and remaining LI is probably 1130A-130P and there too a burst of snow to start. How its unfolds LI later today-tonight?  I do think it will get slippery there and I expect at least 1/2" snow NYC-LI possibly 2-3" in spots of LI NYC by Noon Wednesday, though I might be on the high side.  The NAM3K sounding doesn't look very warm to me and its significantly colder than the GFS.  So, it's all yours.

Have added the following graphics: 

1) NWS 5AM snowfall forecast,

2) he 00z/25 SPC HREF  glaze forecast (might be too high on the northern edge which looks all snow sleet to me),

3) the NWS 08z/25 ensemble prob for 1+" of snow, f

4) the NWS 08z/25 ensemble prob for measurable freezing rain,

5) the SPC HREF snow forecast (see legend for amounts 1"+) and

6) finally the 06z/25 NAM3K forecast for Sparta NJ giving an idea of how cold this forecast is...possbily a little robust on qpf.

All yours. Will be off line 1215P-330P.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 6.14.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 6.17.03 AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-01-26_at_5_18.38_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-01-26_at_5_20.39_AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 4.20.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.04.05 AM.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

That was expected, it's not expected to fill in until around noon but honestly with what the NAM is showing I am not sure it will be more than snow showers/showers for NYC and points south.  

marginal temps too-will have a hard time sticking on anything other than colder surfaces

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Snowing here in Metuchen at 34F with a whole dusting on the ground, lol.  Reports of rain south of the Raritan and SW into Mercer and sleet/snow north of the Raritan and in places like New Hope.  

Snow intensity has increased to moderate with a whole 1/4" on the ground now.  The snow rain line also moved SE by 10-20 miles and is now down close to 195.  Maybe we can get 1" out of this after all.  Temps have also dropped to 32-33F with evaporation cooling of the column so we're getting accumulations on all surfaces - snow is way better than freezing rain.  

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Snow intensity has increased to moderate with a whole 1/4" on the ground now.  The snow rain line also moved SE by 10-20 miles and is now down close to 195.  Maybe we can get 1" out of this after all.  Temps have also dropped to 32-33F with evaporation cooling of the column so we're getting accumulations on all surfaces - snow is way better than freezing rain.  

Been a mix of sleet and snow the last 45 minutes or so and we're up to a full 1/2" on the ground - we might need a SOE.  We're in a lull right now - supposed to be a few more hours of precip, but it looks pretty dry to our SW.  Down to 32F.  

@donsutherland1 and others  (@bluewave etal) who may look at this predictive data a lot...   has the EPS or GEFS been better at LR predictions of the AO, NAO, PNA, EPO lets say at 10 days, and 16 days?

I see some differences in the these ensembles...the GEFS overall a little more favorable for winter.  

Not sure who said winter over?   Doesn't look that way to me yet into mid Feb.

Maybe it is over, and I don'/didn't realize it???

Thanks,

Walt

• Rjay unpinned this topic