• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Snow-ice-rain for the NYC forum 7PM Mon 1/25-6AM Wednesday 1/27

wdrag

I can live with snowfall #'s presented here except it look s a little low CT.   I'd like more  snow but if sleet/freezing rain/rain depending on location get involved, then the big trim as posted herein.  From what I can tell this has slippery on all untreated surfaces almost from the start on Tuesday and a possible refreeze Tue night along the margins where it rises to 33-34F later day or eve.

I think the darker yellow ice #'s might be a touch high but jury out. Bottom line...some sleet or freeIng rain appears to be coming across NJ, LI (ice LI temp dependent.)

Back in the morning. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 6.07.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 6.06.13 PM.png

10 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Except it won’t be 10:1 ratio in the southern part of the 4-6 zone and probably counts sleet as snow? 

Agreed,,, tho i haven't seen the ptype...  there is a chance that 70% or more of this pcpn north of I80 will be all snow.  The only reason i see sleet in far nw NJ is that the saturated sounding after 00z is all below 700mb and min temp in that column about -7C. Maybe not enough ice nuclei for snow.  Uncertain but it's also all below freezing in Sparta.  The first 1-5 hours of this event may have some decent lift and snowfall rates of nearly 1/2"/hr before the mix. 

I don't know if anyone noticed, but a couple of models are increasing qpf across the forum and I think that will be right.  I think the EC and NAM are seeing developing low pressure late Tue s of 44025 and the associated cyclonic circulation may enhance qpf into the 0.3-0.5" range, esp LI.  The NAEFS is still down a little so no guarantee that the 18z EC/NAM  are correct.  Back tomorrow morning. 

The HRRR will tend to suck seeing sleet changeover so it’s probably wrong showing NYC staying snow as long as it is.  There isn’t THAT strong a WAA push in the mid levels with this so you can argue perhaps things could hold snow longer than expected but I still think it’s showing snow too long.  I’m more surprised still by the differing start times.  The RGEM Euro is 13-14Z, the NAM is 17 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The HRRR will tend to suck seeing sleet changeover so it’s probably wrong showing NYC staying snow as long as it is.  There isn’t THAT strong a WAA push in the mid levels with this so you can argue perhaps things could hold snow longer than expected but I still think it’s showing snow too long.  I’m more surprised still by the differing start times.  The RGEM Euro is 13-14Z, the NAM is 17 

That’s the difference maker because nyc chance of accumulating snow is at the start of the storm 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Take 40% of that for a better estimate of model forecast snow accumulations locally.

Agree although I think the light blue zone may get the best rates with the initial burst, ecm has a similar zone. 40% of 4-6 is like 2-3 which I think would be possible if the colder/wetter models verify 

3 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Agree although I think the light blue zone may get the best rates with the initial burst, ecm has a similar zone. 

The Stormvista maps count everything except plain rain as accumulated snow at 10:1. The EC map I saw earlier was similarly overdone. But today's guidance has increased expected snowfall for the immediate metro area for sure.

5 minutes ago, eduggs said:

The Stormvista maps count everything except plain rain as accumulated snow at 10:1. The EC map I saw earlier was similarly overdone. But today's guidance has increased expected snowfall for the immediate metro area for sure.

Yea 1-3 seems like a good bet. 2-4 with possible isolated spots higher north of the city 

• Rjay unpinned this topic