Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Outside of the mid-December storm, no threat has really survived past D7 this winter. So next 24-48 hours will be illuminating on whether this doesn’t start falling off a cliff. Those other long range threats all ended up suppressed too.

a short 1 minute ago :(

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Outside of the mid-December storm, no threat has really survived past D7 this winter. So next 24-48 hours will be illuminating on whether this doesn’t start falling off a cliff. Those other long range threats all ended up suppressed too.

Yea I’ve noticed somewhere around 150 hours (sometimes a little longer sometimes a little less) the globals have been latching onto the major synoptic setups. Adjustments after that are less wild and more fine tuning details. We need this to hold inside that window.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Yea hence the “not over react”. I felt like people wanted me to say “it’s over we’re screwed” because of a couple bad runs yesterday. 

I think you're on to something about the frequency of model runs...good lord this place can be manic 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea I’ve noticed somewhere around 150 hours (sometimes a little longer sometimes a little less) the globals have been latching onto the major synoptic setups. Adjustments after that are less wild and more fine tuning details. We need this to hold inside that window.  

If this more or less holds through the Wednesday 0z runs, then we can say it’s the best snow chance since mid December.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

One thing about it though ... a storm of some sort in this time range has been on the models a while now

4 hours ago, DCTeacherman said:

This has been very noticeable.  As a runner I still haven't had to put on more than a base layer/t shirt combo for a run.   I haven't even been wearing a hat!  Usually in January I have to bundle up at least a few times.  What's the coldest temp at DCA this season?  Like mid 20s or something pathetic like that?

Even Chicago (ORD) has only had 2 days this season with a low temp colder than 18F.  It's really shocking...

Just FYI eps likes both the 26th and 28th waves.  

Threat 1

22B4316B-D0D7-495E-816F-15E8C47F431E.thumb.png.227d7e9faf1ea9c41b1a30784cd85196.png

Threat 2: this is still the best shot at a BIG storm Imo 

9F66F030-C220-439C-8D09-5D1CE0041A97.thumb.png.8e2e4cb4ac59833be212fa298ee92af3.png

8224052C-366C-4004-A7F2-E72D7C5C7FCD.thumb.jpeg.54588f3b142261db2b9d8205c4983d5c.jpeg
that ridge out west is close...slightly east but with that whole NW to SE alignment across North America due to the block something should be able to amplify in less room then typical wavelengths imo.  Can see the energy coming east (x) and imo that’s primed for an amplifying system along the east coast at about our latitude.  If anything this looks even better then when I first showed this period a few days ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, beavis1729 said:

Even Chicago (ORD) has only had 2 days this season with a low temp colder than 18F.  It's really shocking...

My backyard amphibian pond hasn't frozen over even once and I still have the waterfall pump going.  And even worse, the hanging petunia baskets on my front porch are already regrowing.  The only time that ever happened before was....last year.  

• Sad 1

Fwiw the new edition of the Euro weeklies aren't terrible for Feb. The -NAO is there throughout, with a pretty typical Nina look out west.  I will post one panel as a sample. Other periods hint at a bit more ridging in the east, but not what I would consider a strong signal or a 'torch'. I have definitely seen worse.

1613433600-B2mASR6RRkA.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Fwiw the new edition of the Euro weeklies aren't terrible for Feb. The -NAO is there throughout, with a pretty typical Nina look out west.  I will post one panel as a sample. Others periods hint at a bit more ridging in the east, but not what I would consider a strong signal or a 'torch'. I have definitely seen worse.

At the very least with the trough out west we have cold somewhere on our continent. Even with blues over us this past month cold air has been MIA. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

At the very least with the trough out west we have cold somewhere on our continent. Even with blues over us this past month cold air has been MIA. 

I could certainly envision a few cold air excursions for our area with that look. The big picture mean is just that, esp on an extended range forecast tool.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I could certainly envision a few cold air excursions for our area with that look. The big picture mean is just that, esp on an extended range forecast tool.

Agree with you based on that H5 look.  But the theme this winter has been to mute the cold shots so I’d air on that side when it comes to future cold.  

58 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Fwiw the new edition of the Euro weeklies aren't terrible for Feb. The -NAO is there throughout, with a pretty typical Nina look out west.  I will post one panel as a sample. Other periods hint at a bit more ridging in the east, but not what I would consider a strong signal or a 'torch'. I have definitely seen worse.

It’s pretty much what I told Ralph to expect for Feb and totally acceptable Imo. There are 2 key differences between that and the failure of the blocking earlier.  The first is simply time. It’s Feb. The waters are cooling. We’re starting with a colder base state. The second is the WPO.  
B55592EB-A074-4752-97C7-DCC4425A92CB.thumb.jpeg.cd24baa76ce90eece6d7576907a69b35.jpeg
I still contend historically we have done better with the trough centered near the Aleutians not AK like that but this new pac base state is what it is.  Look where the flow into our source regions in Canada is.  Straight off the central pac firehose. 

This time the ridge west of the trough means the flow is off Siberia and across the Bering and AK. That’s not nearly as hostile to our source regions. The main pac firehose is directed across the south. 
922E86A0-5C6C-4E7F-BD82-387F8226F523.jpeg.3da66ac9fed7cdb144acc79e2bb6e2b2.jpeg

The key there is the NAO. When it relaxes the SE ridge will flex. When the NAO goes through the periodic fluxes we’ve seen all cold season the ridge will be suppressed and the trough out west will cut under.  

But that is a mean of 50 members at a range where those details get washed out. Timing differences between when different members go through those fluctuations plus some members that probably lose the  NAO completely and thus have a huge ridge in the east wash out attempts to show any trough in the east. But assuming the NAO remains negative it would be there at times and that’s a good look for Feb.  if that’s how we roll the rest of winter I’ll take it. Weve snowed in much worse!

...of course recently we’ve not snowed in better so lol 

• Like 1