Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

8 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Actually, I agree.   I (respectfully) disagree with him wrt modeling...but the yo-yo ing is annoying, but understandable.   These things are run 4x per day, so they look as if they are waffling  way more than usual. 

I’ve thought about this and I think it would be more helpful if past day 6 only ran once a day but that one run was a super ensemble that incorporated the initializations of all 4 interim runs to account for possible errors with initialization.  One more accurate update a day would be more helpful then a bunch of mini ones. And cause us way less mental anguish. A Day 7+ Forecast doesn’t need to be updated more then once a day anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Canadian similar with the northern vort outrunning the SW vort.  Might be baby stepping today

A compromise between the euro and gfs camps from a day ago. It’s coming out in pieces but they are spaced tighter then the euro had. Problem is if we don’t get enough separation between the waves it won’t work. It’s close. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

A compromise between the euro and gfs camps from a day ago. It’s coming out in pieces but they are spaced tighter then the euro had. Problem is if we don’t get enough separation between the waves it won’t work. It’s close. 

So, now what's the bad news?

• Haha 1

Just now, WVclimo said:

It isn't even done at that point.  24+ hours of freezing rain with temps in the mid- to upper 20's and more than 1" QPF would definitely leave a mark.  Glad it will change in the coming week.

Sure hope that never happens. You accumulate 3/4” of ice on trees and power lines it would be devastating. No thanks

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

So, now what's the bad news?

Lol it’s good overall. We knew the euro all alone was not going to be exactly right. This progression gives us a way way better chance then the fully phased idea the gfs was tossing around before. But it’s never easy. This solution is also better for the follow up wave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frd said:

I am not sure what to believe now really.  Isotherm said there was hope at the end of January .  February's tendencies were always to head warmer , nobody really wants to look forward to March at that time I'm thinking of spring and summer activities. 

When I look back and read HM's older  posts  I was under the assumption that he thought any sudden  stratospheric warming event would  favor our region.  but possibly I was mistaken.

Here’s are only things we know:

1. The sun angle is increasing every day.

2.  We are gaining 1-3 minutes of day light.

3. Ocean water temps are still above normal where they have been for the past 5-10 years.