• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

12Z GEFS only has one hit through Day 7.

It has shown a ton of hits for the past month and none have been correct. It’s easier for a no snow solution to be correct but at this point not sure I’m gonna sweat snow solutions from 20+ different lower resolution model runs.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It has shown a ton of hits for the past month and none have been correct. It’s easier for a no snow solution to be correct but at this point not sure I’m gonna sweat snow solutions from 20+ different lower resolution model runs.

7 days out

GEFS slp track is north of 6z and south of 0z. But pretty wide swings so far. Definitely warmer aloft though. TPV in Canada is a bit farther north and less suppressive. The biggest change is the depth of the follow on shortwave that comes onshore early next week. It’s much deeper on the 12z run and that pumps the ridge more over us. 

1 hour ago, high risk said:

FWIW, one of the findings during the GFSv16 evaluation was that it handled cold air damming better than v15, possibly due to having more vertical levels.    It still won't be nearly as good as the NAM nest, which in my opinion handles damming the best of the models (and sometimes even overdoes it), but once synoptic disagreement is removed, I'd favor the v16 profiles over v15.

Man get this relevant substantive scientific crap out of here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wish we could have a model thread limited to 4 days or closer. The 7+ day models have been more useless this year than ever and I did not think that was possible. Until the Entire platform of models is changed from giving examples to making predictions then we continue to get the same clap trap dozens and dozens of examples every 6 hours like we have last 20 years. I know of no “science” that is the same or less efficient than it was 20 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Wish we could have a model thread limited to 4 days or closer. The 7+ day models have been more useless this year than ever and I did not think that was possible. Until the Entire platform of models is changed from giving examples to making predictions then we continue to get the same clap trap dozens and dozens of examples every 6 hours like we have last 20 years. I know of no “science” that is the same or less efficient than it was 20 years ago.

Just because you continue to parrot this weird diatribe over and over again doesn't make it true. There is numerous statistical evidence that our modeling forecasting capabilities are much better than 20 years ago and continue to improve each year. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

You do know you are free to contribute however you want?  Instead of complaining about how everyone else it discussing the medium/long range why don’t you analyze what you think will happen without using the models and show us how it’s done. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

if so thats ok.  At this range...if you have a mix of just to your north, just to your south, and a few hits across guidance...that's pretty good.  Were not in "details locked in" range yet.  

I ain't mad at that location on the Euro 6-7 days out

• Like 2

• mappy changed the title to January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 1 - Day 7)
  • stormtracker locked this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic