• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

29 minutes ago, Ji said:

why cant we just get a big fat STJ going into a cold high like PD2003. Still the most uncomplicated storm in my life lol although it was highly dissapointing that it turned to sleet for 8 hours!

Even with the sleet - this was my favorite storm of all time. Heavy snow all day from that STJ firehose before the coastal even got going.

3 minutes ago, TowsonWeather said:

Even with the sleet - this was my favorite storm of all time. Heavy snow all day from that STJ firehose before the coastal even got going.

the best was when it started. It was like 12 degrees lol. And it came in hot and heavy. Friend came over around 3am and we drove around for about an hour and a half. The next day was magical. And even the sleet was crazy because it was coming down really hard and  then it switched back to snow. The QPF maps were awesome. I got in trouble on the message boards because i was saying stuff like  12zAVN nukes DC. Apparently saying nuking offended people back then. And we used to have threads for each model run. like its own seperate thread

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

the best was when it started. It was like 12 degrees lol. And it came in hot and heavy. Friend came over around 3am and we drove around for about an hour and a half. The next day was magical. And even the sleet was crazy because it was coming down really hard and  then it switched back to snow. The QPF maps were awesome. I got in trouble on the message boards because i was saying stuff like  12zAVN nukes DC. Apparently saying nuking offended people back then. And we used to have threads for each model run. like its own seperate thread

I think that is when I found Eastern.. 

I remember a coworker calling me after the small stuff the day before that brought in the cold.. I said - "That was not it!" - he thought I busted.

2 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

I think that is when I found Eastern.. 

I remember a coworker calling me after the small stuff the day before that brought in the cold.. I said - "That was not it!" - he thought I busted.

it actually snowed that saturday like 2-3 inches(would be a blizzard in 2021) but it was a warm snow. Then it got sunny. Then it cleared up and that big fat high from like 7pm to 1am dropped temps like a rock. And then it started snowing and pretty much didnt stop

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ji said:

Were you around with us on usenet when it was ne.weather? And #neweather on MIRC? I have some of those transcripts saved on a floppy disk (remember those?) in the archives. Little Ian used to get so excited at the models back then lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ji said:

it actually snowed that saturday like 2-3 inches(would be a blizzard in 2021) but it was a warm snow. Then it got sunny. Then it cleared up and that big fat high from like 7pm to 1am dropped temps like a rock. And then it started snowing and pretty much didnt stop

That was during my last semester at PSU. Actually my second stint, I took some time off after I was in a bad ski accident in 2000 and then changed majors.  But I was home most weekends working shifts at TGI Fridays in Herndon to make cash. I remember driving through the snow from the front runner wave on the way down. Then went to a movie with an old friend that night and it was freezing cold just before the second wave. The next day drive back to PSU in the snow took like 8 hours.   

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was during my last semester at PSU. Actually my second stint, I took some time off after I was in a bad ski accident in 2000 and then changed majors.  But I was home most weekends working shifts at TGI Fridays in Herndon to make cash. I remember driving through the snow from the front runner wave on the way down. Then went to a movie with an old friend that night and it was freezing cold just before the second wave. The next day drive back to PSU in the snow took like 8 hours.   

That was my last semester at PSU as well!  Think we ended up with like 20"?

• Like 3

That’s just the NS front runner. Gfs looks about to suppress everything of importance. Lol. I’m way more worried about everything getting suppressed then I am missing to the north next week. The only wave that will go north Imo is the weak front running NS wave.  The 2 waves after that 26th and 28/29 will either be a hit or suppressed imo. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s just the NS front runner. Gfs looks about to suppress everything of importance. Lol. I’m way more worried about everything getting suppressed then I am missing to the north next week. The only wave that will go north Imo is the weak front running NS wave.  The 2 waves after that 26th and 28/29 will either be a hit or suppressed imo. 

Snow on snow would be nice.  Would it be safe to assume each wave effects areas a little further South as baroclinic zone shifts south . But can't get away from thinking second or third event had major surprises because of poor modeling of upstream blocking. Just speculation. 

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro doesn't have that ns  sw cutting across the lakes around 140 hours . Gfs is the only one I believe but haven't been able to track too much last 2 days .

They all have it but they shear it out running into the block way faster then the gfs.   That preserves our temps but also leaves room/energy for wave 2 to amplify. It’s a win win. A stronger NS front runner is a lose lose. Worse temps and weaker 2nd wave.  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

They all have it but they shear it out running into the block way faster then the gfs which preserves our temps but also leaves room/energy for wave 2 to amplify. It’s a win win. A stringer NS front runner is a lose lose. Worse temps and weaker 2nd wave.  

If my memory is correct, it’s been over doing ns vorts lately.

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Snow on snow would be nice.  Would it be safe to assume each wave effects areas a little further South as baroclinic zone shifts south . But can't get away from thinking second or third event had major surprises because of poor modeling of upstream blocking. Just speculation. 

I think each wave starts further south. But the 3rd wave has some room to amplify and gain latitude on the coast. Not a lot. Depends how it interacts with the NS. But that’s the only one that imo could push snow north after it starts east of the mountains. 

• Like 1

• mappy changed the title to January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 1 - Day 7)
  • stormtracker locked this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic