Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 8th-9th threat

BullCityWx

Meh...  looking at the nam, gfs, cmc.

I wouldn't say nam is too far south. Its surface reflection maybe.  It's highly strung out and disorganized. But looking at the h5 level relatively same latitude as gfs.

Unlike Canadian which takes it through TN instead of Northern AL, GA.

I think the SW over MT, WY along with the ridging over PNW, SW Canada may be an issue. 

I guess we will see how it goes.  Just too much moving pieces to get a solid answer. 

1 hour ago, strongwxnc said:

Can you slide one over this way :)

I lived in NC for 56 years.  I live basically where I place the red dot. I can tell you I have seen this output many times. Anson and Richmond county with nothing and Moore county scores.  Good luck to the rest of you guys. I need to move

05F207C9-22A7-42E4-8CCF-DE8FACDE215C.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Yeah me too. Plenty of QPF for a good hit for many but cold is too marginal. Western half of NC looks great.  For my area, especially western upstate, cold just isn't there for much, maybe a little sleety slop.

There will be enough cold air for whoever gets under the heaviest bands just north west of the 850mb low Friday morning.

its well below freezing everywhere but near surface and near surface doesn’t matter if it’s ripping 2-3 inch per hour rates.

also, we’ve only seen the global model depictions for surface temps and they aren’t that far off... 40/32 before precip starts and most settle around 33-36 outside of the mountains.  Won’t be surprised to see the hi-res models show 31-32 under the heavier bands when they get in range. (Assuming the low track and intensity doesn’t change much).

I managed a nice 3 inch snow last year during the middle of the day thanks to heavy rates when no models had me dropping below 34-35 (including short range models). And that system didn’t have anywhere near the dynamics at play like this one will.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

There will be enough cold air for whoever gets under the heaviest bands just north west of the 850mb low Friday morning.

its well below freezing everywhere but near surface and near surface doesn’t matter if it’s ripping 2-3 inch per hour rates.

also, we’ve only seen the global model depictions for surface temps and they aren’t that far off... 40/32 before precip starts and most settle around 33-36 outside of the mountains.  Won’t be surprised to see the hi-res models show 31-32 under the heavier bands when they get in range. (Assuming the low track and intensity doesn’t change much).

I managed a nice 3 inch snow last year during the middle of the day thanks to heavy rates when no models had me dropping below 34-35 (including short range models). And that system didn’t have anywhere near the dynamics at play like this one will.

Remember that storm well.

Ppl at the same Elevation & Longitude as me further west got much more than my inch here in NE GVL county.

Why?

Because of timing.

It hit u guys early morning hours in the case of NGA it was prior to sunrise.

In some cases in NGA they had 6-8+ inches.

It started here around 11am and didn't change over to snow til 12 noon.

Timing looks to be good here in the Western Carolinas & NGA thus far.

1 minute ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

It is looking less and less likely that central NC gets a good snow from this system. Good luck to those in NW SC, NC, and southern VA.

Define “central N.C.” because things here in Durham look as good as they have yet. I’d say the same for Chapel Hill, Hillsborough and Wake north of 540. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• jburns unpinned this topic