Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

Pretty meager in Midland proper unfortunately. I provided a mini rant in the Banter thread. I got it out of my system lol

A lot of my CWA got historic snowfall though, so I'm 

Amazon.com: Lay's Lightly Salted Potato Chips 9.5 oz (Pack of 6)

Ugh I’m sorry. Any chance you can take a road trip home sometime as we get out back to back to back HECS?  

17 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

That's for sure. Part of my snark was in reference to that map resembling our epic run in 2010. Obviously, capitalizing on every single wave phase we had is unlikely, but the recipe for multiple storms and/or a big Kahuna is raised pretty significantly with the addition of blocking and greater height falls focused off the Mid Atlantic coast with lower height averages over Dixie and the lower Tennessee Valley. The fact it's inside 10 days to the pattern evolution is the best part of this if you're a winter weenie in the east coast ^_^

Hell, if we manage like back-to-back-to-back 5" - 10" event in the course of like 2 weeks that would be 100%+ of climo for everyone.

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Ugh I’m sorry. Any chance you can take a road trip home sometime as we get out back to back to back HECS?  

Our new schedule starts PP1 (Sunday to be precise). I work a fair amount of 10 day stretches with 4 day weekends, so there will be opportunities to get away for a bit. My wife would probably come with me and we can hang out and watch the snowfall. Would love to come home for a little break and some snow. Trying to stay away from Covid too, so it'll be a play it by ear deal for sure. Fingers crossed for stars aligning there B)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

GFS says no cold air around for the Jan 8th threat......

Euro phases the northern and southern stream lows and then pulls a high pressure in from Canada. GFS keeps the streams separate and the northern stream moves through the lakes and just obliterates the airmass into subtropical garbage. 

18 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Don't know how you post tweets but Bastardi referenced Snowmageddon come Jan 10 and on.

For once he is late to the hype party. And not totally wrong.  The danger in those analogs is there were other examples of that pattern that didn’t max out to that degree. It’s always dangerous to use the most extreme example of a pattern to set the bar. 

19 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Why do you think no sign of suppression is a good thing at this range?

Hint- It's not.

Got to smell the rain to get the best snows...

I find the discussions informative and very useful.  But you need a little luck which no model can forecast.  In other words you don’t always get a blizzard in a great pattern and you don’t always get shut out in an overall crap pattern.  No big storms over the next seven days seems pretty certain.  By next weekend, hopefully there will be something to track...

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Normally with the gfs I agree. But for some reason the GFS has been cutting storms into the block in the long range while other guidance is more suppressed. 

If the block is legit, we should be seeing some suppressed outcomes across ens guidance. I cant imagine the upgraded GFS/GEFS would be much different.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic