Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Eve/Day Annual Scrooger Event

Baroclinic Zone

12 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I would say Patchy..  so spotty and then other areas 3" of taters. 

3k Nam is slowest . It has 48-50 Temperatures now till 9pm  on Xmas day From Franklin Nh to Nashua Nh.  The 45 Degree DP line crosses you between 9 and 10pm ..that would be total wipe out. 

0z hrrr has it near 50 till 5pm , about 12 hours of 45f plus dews and heavy rains

I don't think it's wiping me out. The warmth never overperforms here, but even taking it literally it'll put a dent in, but not wipe it out. I had 24hrs of 50s-60 with 50s dews in Jan and went from 11" to 1". I'm starting with a compacted 14" this go around and the bottom 2" is complete ice after the early Dec event. I'm interested to see how quickly we warm up though considering there is no high to dam the cold in. We're going to have to flat out do it with trapped cold that doesn't want to budge.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I don't think it's wiping me out. The warmth never overperforms here, but even taking it literally it'll put a dent in, but not wipe it out. I had 24hrs of 50s-60 with 50s dews in Jan and went from 11" to 1". I'm starting with a compacted 14" this go around and the bottom 2" is complete ice after the early Dec event. I'm interested to see how quickly we warm up though considering there is no high to dam the cold in. We're going to have to flat out do it with trapped cold that doesn't want to budge.

It's 21 here right now. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

It's 21 here right now. 

Hit 21.7F here a bit ago with the thin overcast, but it bounces around the low 20s depending on cloud density and how much longwave is reemitted back.

There will be 2 boundaries going through Christmas day. The first one is with a mid level front that'll kick the core of the LLJ east. The flow veers from the SE to the S at the sfc  and temps may drop a couple of degrees behind it. Then a few hours later we get the actual real CAA and sharp temp drop.

If it completely goes, then great. I get my driveway back and the birds get their grass back for the time being. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hit 21.7F here a bit ago with the thin overcast, but it bounces around the low 20s depending on cloud density and how much longwave is reemitted back.

There will be 2 boundaries going through Christmas day. The first one is with a mid level front that'll kick the core of the LLJ east. The flow veers from the SE to the S at the sfc  and temps may drop a couple of degrees behind it. Then a few hours later we get the actual real CAA and sharp temp drop.

If it completely goes, then great. I get my driveway back and the birds get their grass back for the time being. :thumbsup:

bba02ef835095b4191c4ec711b58b80c_md.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

You are a snow/winter hobbyist, not a wx hobbyist. That is fine but not everyones happiness and interest revolves around that 

Or maybe I just enjoy my tropical storm like weather in September, not on Christmas. Oh ya by the way you are a dew/heat hobbyist, not a wx hobbyist. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think this is going to be the storm that puts me over the edge as far as getting a generator is concerned.

Im looking at a 13000 starting watts and 10,500 running. I’d assume that would come close to running my whole house if I wanted too? 

It’s a good start....it would certainly run my little cape with 100amp service.....trouble comes when you need furnace, electric dryer or water heater, and water pump running at the same time....I’d think it still gets it done....

7 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I agree. It’s concerning to see more convection signals as we get closer. As it stands we’re thinking a high impact event with max gusts between 50-65 mph and 2-3” of rain causing some minor flooding.

Also concerned about soil saturation weakening trees and thinking CT sees widespread power outages. As much as I am personally intrigued by an anomalous event, it’s a painful forecast to deliver.

Only issue I have with this is the soil and trees aspect. The ground is frozen pretty deep with solid 7 to 12 inches of snow on it. The majority of very quick falling rain will runoff and the hours of extreme wind is very limited.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

While the strongest winds of 60-70+ will only last 1-2 hours, there will be 4-6 hours prior to that of winds gusting 50-60mph. That in itself will cause big issues. South winds in NE cause problems 

The damaging winds in October 2017 lasted 30 minutes or less in most Maine locations but that was enough to black out half or more of the state's electricity customers and resulted in numerous large timber salvage harvests the next year.

Up to 30 with clouds.  Not much CA to D here; we'll see if any of the 5" of glacial pack can survive.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tamarack said:

The damaging winds in October 2017 lasted 30 minutes or less in most Maine locations but that was enough to black out half or more of the state's electricity customers and resulted in numerous large timber salvage harvests the next year.

That’s wild. A couple 70+ southerly gusts can cause near complete blow downs