Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What happens is it pushes the best WAA in the mid-levels in the WCB from CT almost due E over SE MA and out to sea while the ML magic banding goes from like N/central PA to Catskills into NW MA/S VT/SW NH....and MA is kind of left in the middle and E MA still gets decent low-level forcing precip while central MA to the CT valley gets kind of shafted....this is where scott (coastalwx) was saying we need to watch the convective blob....if that is escaping eastward less as we get closer, then we're going to see a much stronger WCB into MA.

We can also root for a continued north trend.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We can also root for a continued north trend.

Yeah, basically just get slammed with the WCB and then the lower level forcing behind it. I don't think it's going to come that far NW though....but yeah, that would be yet another way to get rid of the precip minima

From the BTV midday AFD:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
As of 1202 PM EST Tuesday...No changes needed to fcst this aftn.
We have noticed some significant changes with the new 12z
guidance, with a shift northward in the qpf and potential
snowfall acrs our central/southern cwa associated with system
late Weds into Thurs. After coordination with WPC and
surrounding wfo`s we will have the latest update with aftn
package.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, basically just get slammed with the WCB and then the lower level forcing behind it. I don't think it's going to come that far NW though....but yeah, that would be yet another way to get rid of the precip minima

I agree. Best hope is for a sink back se to get the decaying deformation.

17 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think we're holding with our 8-16" call. 

im not even considering a change until i see the 18/00Z runs today. Windshield wiper forecasting based on a model run (or two) at this range is never a good idea. You go to 6-12 then tomorrow morning you're back up to 8-16. EC is holding pretty steady more or less and still supports around a foot + for most of CT. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What happens is it pushes the best WAA in the mid-levels in the WCB from CT almost due E over SE MA and out to sea while the ML magic banding goes from like N/central PA to Catskills into NW MA/S VT/SW NH....and MA is kind of left in the middle and E MA still gets decent low-level forcing precip while central MA to the CT valley gets kind of shafted....this is where scott (coastalwx) was saying we need to watch the convective blob....if that is escaping eastward less as we get closer, then we're going to see a much stronger WCB into MA.

I understood that, but what I was confused about was why there was a level of uncertainty implied as to where subsidence would set up should said scenario materialize. I was breaking his balls over it, but its seemed pretty clear for at least a couple of days.

Maybe he meant uncertainty with respect to the fact that subsidence could be elsewhere, IF the the forcing doesn't chase the convection. I've been saying all along that the coast would have heavy precip owed to low level fronto w coastal front, and mid level goodies west...subby in my area.

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Exactly. I've been spending my morning talking followers down from the ledge. They melted as bad as weenies did in here after the NAM.  :lol:

Like I told you last night. Locked and loaded. 

Some of my met friends are worried more about slotting in CT than mixing, saying its pretty much a guarantee, i don't see it. I dont see any slotting on that EC run. NAM on the other hand...

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I understood that, but what I was confused about was why there was a level of uncertainty implied as to where subsidence would set up should said scenario materialize. I was breaking his balls over it, but its seemed pretty clear for at least a couple of days.

Maybe he meant uncertainty with respect to the fact that subsidence could be elsewhere, IF the the forcing doesn't chase the convection. I've been saying all along that the coast would have heavy precip owed to low level fronto w coastal front, and mid level goodies west...subby in my area.

It's fine to speculate about where it would be...as long it is understood that it is speculation OR you are playing devil's advocate on a particular run. I think some of your posts came off as high certainty. I wouldn't say it is high certainty you end up in a subby zone. Some of your subsequent posts were more reasonable on the issue....it is certainly possible but there are also a number of ways you can avoid it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Some of my met friends are worried more about slotting in CT than mixing, saying its pretty much a guarantee, i don't see it. I dont see any slotting on that EC run. NAM on the other hand...

NAM is 75-100 miles further north with the slp at 15z Thursday

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It's fine to speculate about where it would be...as long it is understood that it is speculation OR you are playing devil's advocate on a particular run. I think some of your posts came off as high certainty. I wouldn't say it is high certainty you end up in a subby zone. Some of your subsequent posts were more reasonable on the issue....it is certainly possible but there are also a number of ways you can avoid it.

Agreed. I think I have just been tracking this too long.