• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

The other thing to watch for is coastal flooding. The astronomical tides will be the highest of December this week with the new moon. Unfortunately, The solar eclipse will only be visible in the Southern Hemisphere. All that is needed for moderate coastal flooding is a 2 foot surge. The big high to the north can make this possible creating a gale to possible storm force gradient. A slower track in later runs would also help to pile up the water.

https://www.space.com/total-solar-eclipse-2020-preview

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wdrag said:

I've heard that but Im not sure if there is science to that effect. 

There is.   Even Upton has mentioned it in our windier snow storms.   I hate using TWC as a source but the other links have PDFs that are just too long for most people to read.

"High winds can also result in lower snow ratios since snowflakes can break apart in that situation, says NOAA."

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2018-02-08-snow-forecast-ratios-united-states-climatology

• Thanks 3

@wdrag.  Here's more info on the effect of wind on snow ratio.  I hope this is useful info for you.

Influence of surface wind speed on snow ratio

"Surface wind speed can affect the snow ratio. Surface winds exceeding approximately 9 m s−1 can move ice crystals at the surface, fracturing the crystal during saltation and increasing the snow density (e.g., Gray and Male 1981, 345–350). Therefore, only snow events occurring at wind speeds below 9 m s−1 were considered. Classifying the snow events by snow-ratio bin and plotting the fraction of events as a function of wind speed results in Fig. 6. Although the fraction of average snow ratios is constant with wind speed, the fraction of heavy snow ratios increases with wind speed from about 10% at low wind speeds to about 20% at 9 m s−1 (correlation coefficient of 0.572). In addition, the fraction of light snow ratios decreases with wind speed from about 53% at low wind speeds to 40% at 9 m s−1 (correlation coefficient of −0.507). These relationships are statistically significant at the 98% level. If considered in isolation, the wind speed plays a small, but significant, role in determining the snow ratio by shifting the distribution of snow ratio toward lower values at higher wind speeds (Fig. 6). This minor role for wind speed may be due partly to the way Roebber et al. (2003) compiled their data, using 6-h observations to minimize effects of prolonged wind compaction on snow ratio. However, Roebber et al. (2003) also showed that wind speed can be quite important when combined with other parameters. In addition, accounting for the gauge undercatch (e.g., Goodison 1978; Yang et al. 1998) may also lead to a stronger relationship between snow density and wind speed."

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/wefo/21/1/waf903_1.xml?tab_body=fulltext-display

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JoshSnow said:

I love where we stand right now obviously it can change. We’ll see by tomorrow

We’ll be good to go if these solutions hold once within the NAM’s best range. The NAM has been our go to model for snowfall with the numerous Euro misses in recent years. I can still remember the NAM bringing home the goods on the January 2016 blizzard while the Euro was too suppressed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

We’ll be good to go if these solutions hold once within the NAM’s best range. The NAM has been our go to model for snowfall with the numerous Euro misses in recent years. I can still remember the NAM bringing home the goods on the January 2016 blizzard while the Euro was too suppressed.

Any difference with accuracy between the 12 k and 3 k NAM?