• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gfs looks great 

Looks like a pretty classic setup to me, wish the PNA could be a little better but nothing's perfect? Huge arctic high dumping cold air in and confluence to the north. That should put a hard stop on any crazy northward push. If anything to me that setup says knife-edge cutoff to heavy snow somewhere vs. flurries and dry air. 

• Like 1

And this is where amped wave 1 can help us out. It reinforces the 50-50 low, which helps form the confluence and drives the cold air in better. And it can be a nice 3-6" gloppy snow appetizer (I don't buy 6"+ the NAM shows) before this main show. I'm definitely interested in this setup-best we've seen in a few winters at least. At least it's not model nonsense-totally feasible how this can work out. 

18 minutes ago, NJsnow89 said:

Quick question- don’t these types of storms usually trend north in time? Worried about the last min north trend which may warm us up. 

I am hoping for a north nudge from this model solution verbatim to get Mid Hudson Valley, Poughkeepsie, into heavier snow, but don't want you guys near the coast to taint either. 

Just now, NJsnow89 said:

Quick question- don’t these types of storms usually trend north in time? Worried about the last min north trend which may warm us up. 

With confluence like that and a huge arctic high, to me it can only trend north so far. If the high and confluence weaken that's another story. Verbatim I think there would be a very sharp cutoff between big snow and little because of the resulting dry air. 

18 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

With confluence like that and a huge arctic high, to me it can only trend north so far. If the high and confluence weaken that's another story. Verbatim I think there would be a very sharp cutoff between big snow and little because of the resulting dry air. 

Praying it isn't Jan 2016 up here again.  Didn't even get a dusting.  

Just now, jm1220 said:

Yeah, we'll see where that cutoff ends up, it should be quite dramatic

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Thank you! Also, with confluence pressing down more each run, wouldn’t that trend this further south if anything?