• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

2 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

Took close for comfort for Long Island....

It's just about perfect verbatim. Montauk might have issues on that run. I'm thinking it's legit that some of us will be sweating how far north the sleet line gets on the dual pol and it may come close to the south shore. That would be the blend of models right now between the more suppressed GFS and models like the Euro and NAM. 

One thing I think we will continue to see for sure is a tightening of the gradient on the northern end of wherever the northern extent does set up.

it wouldn’t surprise me if the widespread  heavy snow on the far northern end more banded in nature... models might not have the resolution to pick up on that so instead of picking up on where the band will set up and putting QPF there, they end up vomiting QPF over a larger area

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherbear5 said:

One thing I think we will continue to see for sure is a tightening of the gradient on the northern end of wherever the northern extent does set up.

it wouldn’t surprise me if the widespread  heavy snow on the far northern end more banded in nature... models might not have the resolution to pick up on that so instead of picking up on where the band will set up and putting QPF there, they end up vomiting QPF over a larger area

Agree. My guess is sharp cutoff somewhere between I84 and Kingston. Lived in Mid HV for two winters and these storms are often not your friend but sometimes can get lucky.

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

Agree. My guess is sharp cutoff somewhere between I84 and Kingston. Lived in Mid HV for two winters and these storms are often not your friend but sometimes can get lucky.

I'm 30 miles north of 84 in Sullivan. This will get precarious. BGM has watches up for Southern Wayne which is close to me for potential totals over 6". Interesting to see what today brings.

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

I don't think so. Most real models give I84 vicinity around a foot or more. I think the sharp cutoff is going to be around I90. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is one of the most straightforward forecasts that I can remember for a snowstorm.

12-18" areawide except for slightly less on the South facing shore of Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens and SI which will probably mix at the end. Those areas should still see 6"+.

We'll probably get a narrow band of 18"+ but it's too early to know exactly where that's going to setup. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, crossbowftw3 said:

I'm 30 miles north of 84 in Sullivan. This will get precarious. BGM has watches up for Southern Wayne which is close to me for potential totals over 6". Interesting to see what today brings.

This is probably not your storm but I could be wrong. I don't think North of 84 sees warning level snows.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It's just about perfect verbatim. Montauk might have issues on that run. I'm thinking it's legit that some of us will be sweating how far north the sleet line gets on the dual pol and it may come close to the south shore. That would be the blend of models right now between the more suppressed GFS and models like the Euro and NAM. 

Yeah sometimes you need to be close to the rain to get the good stuff and LI is right where you want it.  Looks good.  

2 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

I don't think so. Most real models give I84 vicinity around a foot or more. I think the sharp cutoff is going to be around I90. 

Yea I lived in New Paltz i think being on east side of Hudson River in these setups is an advantage so places like Poughkeepsie may still do well. It’s the opposite when cold air is marginal then west of the Hudson can do a lot better.

1 minute ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

It's been said before, but modeled precip is often inflated along the periphery. You have to look at the mid-level forcing mechanisms to see where the northern deform band will set up and drop significant totals... north of that corridor, it turns into a non-event very quickly. Even if HPN jackpots, warning-criteria snowfall to I-90 seems very unlikely.

• Like 1