• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It’s not only moving but those 10:1 ratio snow maps being posted are severely overdone, they are counting sleet as snow. You are going to get mixing, there’s a mid-level warm nose punching in.....

Euro and gfs has no mixing at all. I do think we mix  as the precip gets list after the majority of snow has fell.

If we do stay all snow then the amounts will go up. Have to love living near the coast.

Always on needles lol

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

This is ridiculous. What is happening down there will have very little effect up here. We are right next to the cold air source 

If you read the comments for that tweet I posted it's full of people saying that they expected a good front end dump and instead ended up with a lot of ZR/IP. I'm not saying that necessarily translates up here but it does indicate the level of warming aloft. Cold air damming only keeps the surface cold. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

If you read the comments for that tweet I posted it's full of people saying that they expected a good front end dump and instead ended up with a lot of ZR/IP. I'm not saying that necessarily translates up here but it does indicate the level of warming aloft. Cold air damming only keeps the surface cold. 

Most models had them mixing down there.

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Euro and gfs has no mixing at all. I do think we mix  as the precip gets list after the majority of snow has fell.

If we do stay all snow then the amounts will go up. Have to love living near the coast.

Always on needles lol

I especially wouldn't trust crappy GFS with thermal profiles. I think maybe 3k nam would be best to look at thermals. There will definitely be mixing and/or dry slot NYC metro. 

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

The euro is even all snow for NYC

The mesoscale models like the Nam should capture the warm air aloft better, although the Euro’s resolution should also allow it to be captured I’d think. But I’ve seen it be too cold before in a couple of storms in 2017-18. This could be different? The NAM has a lousy evolution for the 700mb low which allows warm air to get as far north aloft as it does. I’m not sure what the Euro does with it. 

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

I still think it will mix as precip shuts off after intitial burst, then back to some snow later on as low heads east. I don't think anybody in NYC metro sees above 10 inches except maybe Northern Manhattan/Bronx/Yonkers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I remember a system years ago that has a south to north moving band with 4”/hour rates. It Moved relatively quickly but was incredible. 

If that fronto band on the Nam is real, we’ll have huge snow rates under it, probably 3” per hour. It seems to last 2-3 hours under any location. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

If that fronto band on the Nam is real, we’ll have huge snow rates under it, probably 3” per hour. It seems to last 2-3 hours under any location. 

Yea it seems like we need the WAA to really give us the bulk of our snow.  Not sure we can count on a re-moistening of the atmosphere post DS.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Its hard to take you seriously with the "super weenie" title. We all know what you want to happen. Need to look at actual observations at this point and see what is going on with HRRR

I find it encouraging that it is keeping the LP right on the coast of the CH Bay at 0Z tonight as opposed to 25 miles inland, but we shall see......

sfcthetae_b.us_ma.png

sfcthetae_b.us_ma.png

2 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

Its hard to take you seriously with the "super weenie" title. We all know what you want to happen. Need to look at actual observations at this point and see what is going on with HRRR

I find it encouraging that it is keeping the LP right on the coast of the CH Bay at 0Z tonight as opposed to 25 miles inland, but we shall see......

sfcthetae_b.us_ma.png

sfcthetae_b.us_ma.png

I'm just stating what the models show. HRRR got a little colder.