• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

Just now, nesussxwx said:

Dude. Are you really taking this model verbatim? Lol

I follow the models that support my overall thinking. The people who go model to model are model casting.

You develop a thinking of how it develops, then see if any model matches it. I see the low being more east due to the blocking.  Plus a lack of a pna argues this wont be that ampified. 

• Like 1

Just now, JoshSnow said:

Brodie how did it outperform anything the storm didn’t happen. Wait until Thursday in my opinion it’s been the most reliable model for the city, now if you’re talking about Boston and Albany it’s different. 

Precipitation will begin to fall in DC by 10:30 AM, 4 PM by NYC most likely. If the GFS was anywhere near correct as to what it showed yesterday we'd know by now, less than 24 hours till the onset.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoshSnow said:

Brodie how did it outperform anything the storm didn’t happen. Wait until Thursday in my opinion it’s been the most reliable model for the city, now if you’re talking about Boston and Albany it’s different. 

You can’t only go by one location to judge a models performance. Just because the gfs flipped nyc from the northern edge of the heavy snow to the southern edge so the totals haven’t changed much doesn’t mean it’s done well with the storm. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

If you really think it has done a good job with the evolution of this storm to this point then I don't know what to tell ya. 

12 minutes ago, wizard021 said:

I follow the models that support my overall thinking. The people who go model to model are model casting.

You develop a thinking of how it develops, then see if any model matches it. I see the low being more east due to the blocking.  Plus a lack of a pna argues this wont be that ampified. 

You and Josh are ween-ing all over the place tonight. You are following an unreliable model which is rarely ever considered in the meteorology world, it's simply looked at.

The upper-levels don't mean as much because the cyclone is steered by the mid-levels. However,  so far on the 0z NAM, and 0z HRRR we can see there's been somewhat of a de-amplification with lower heights and that could be because of the recon data coming in. If that trend continues we'll see ticks SE. So that's where the upper-levels can have some significance.

The mesos are better at picking up short-term mid-level amplification and so far the RGEM, and 3k NAM see an amplification in the mid-level forcing which is steering the cyclone further north, that should not be ignored. I still believe mixing is somewhat likely from Philly into the City.

I don't see any major changes with the 0z suite but what's interesting to me is that dry slot showing up in west central Jersey and a strip of heavier snow bleeding down from the Hudson Valley to the northern part of the city. I don't ever recall seeing a snowmap with that look before so close to an event, on multiple models.

Overall, still looks like a 4-8 inch sort of deal in the immediate metro.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

I don't see any major changes with the 0z suite but what's interesting to me is that dry slot showing up in west central Jersey and a strip of heavier snow bleeding down from the Hudson Valley to the northern part of the city. I don't ever recall seeing a snowmap with that look before so close to an event, on multiple models.

Overall, still looks like a 4-8 inch sort of deal in the immediate metro.

Those amounts will be closer to the south shore.  All the models show a wall of snow coming into the area tomorrow then changing to sleet for some then back to snow.  If the snow doesn't change to sleet we can see alot more snow. 

Going to be an interesting day  tomorrow 

• Weenie 1