• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

1 hour ago, TriPol said:

Confused. EURO shows all sleet for I-95 East. How are we picking up 15 inches of snow??

Feb 1922 was around 20 inches of sleet.

Biggest Precip event we've ever had.

It would be incredible to have the wind of Dec 1992 and the precip of Feb 1922 and both of their long duration.

3 hours ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

I don't think it will either but I'm still scarred by Jonas. I saw 3 flakes. 

No matter what this storm does, it wont be able to match the historic nature of Jonas.  in Jan 2016 we had a wide area of 30" plus snows that stretched from Allentown across Morristown and right to JFK and Western Long Island.  And it fell for 30 hours!  It's going to be extremely difficult for any storm to ever match that regardless of where you live  in our area.

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Hopefully this somehow can crush the entire sub forum, even the more suppressed runs do spread snow pretty far north. But a system like this will have a nasty cutoff somewhere-Albany area, I-84, somewhere. Confluence means dry air and sharp cutoff. 

classic storms always have the sharp cut off. Let's hope it's around lake effect country.  They get enough snow as it is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

No matter what this storm does, it wont be able to match the historic nature of Jonas.  in Jan 2016 we had a wide area of 30" plus snows that stretched from Allentown across Morristown and right to JFK and Western Long Island.  And it fell for 30 hours!  It's going to be extremely difficult for any storm to ever match that regardless of where you live  in our area.

I would not speak to soon regarding the outcome of this storm and whether it matches Jonas.  As currently modeled this storm will be accompanied by strong gusty winds to 50 mph or more.  This will whip up the dry powdery snow into huge drifts of up to 6-10 feet or more in many places   This is the type of storm that can shut down highways for several days exacerbating existing supply chain shortages across many industries.  This is what a crippling blizzard does.

Just now, Tatamy said:

I would not speak to soon regarding the outcome of this storm and whether it matches Jonas.  As currently modeled this storm will be accompanied by strong gusty winds to 50 mph or more.  This will whip up the dry powdery snow into huge drifts of up to 6-10 feet or more in many places   This is the type of storm that can shut down highways for several days exacerbating existing supply chain shortages across many industries.  This is what a crippling blizzard does.

Yes but Jonas had those amazing winds too- JFK had confirmed blizzard conditions for 6 straight hours.  I've never seen that before, ever.  A few years later we had a mini Jonas (I dont remember the name of that storm) where we had blizzard whiteout conditions for 3 straight hours, but those are the only two times I've seen that.  Complete whiteout for hours couldn't see a thing outside during the middle of the day....

3 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47anrtxowyrzipda3f82

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Yes but Jonas had those amazing winds too- JFK had confirmed blizzard conditions for 6 straight hours.  I've never seen that before, ever.  A few years later we had a mini Jonas (I dont remember the name of that storm) where we had blizzard whiteout conditions for 3 straight hours, but those are the only two times I've seen that.  Complete whiteout for hours couldn't see a thing outside during the middle of the day....

The winds with Jonas were strong around the NYC area but not so much further inland.  This storm will bring strong winds further inland as well. 

22 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

The winds with Jonas were strong around the NYC area but not so much further inland.  This storm will bring strong winds further inland as well. 

Since you're in Bethlehem I'll ask you- did you get 30 inches in Jonas too?  I was on Long Island for it 4 miles from JFK where we did get it, but I know there was a sharp cut off to the north.  In PA my other home is one county north of Allentown, in Carbon county.  Did that area also see 30"?  I know south of I-80 was where the heaviest snows were and I'm south of I-80.  Do you know of any snowfall totals out of the Lehighton/Albrightsville/Lake Harmony/Bear Creek area (elevation around 2000 ft)?  Thanks!