Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I did well down here, 18” with heavy blowing and drifting. Guessing you were too far north...

Just missed the death band by a handful of miles and ended up with around 9". Getting stranded at the verge of greatness irritates me more than the clean misses like Jan 15/Jan 16. Synoptically and wind-ically, that was a really special system and it may be a very long time before something rises to that level again.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Just missed the death band by a handful of miles and ended up with around 9". Getting stranded at the verge of greatness irritates me more than the clean misses like Jan 15/Jan 16. Synoptically and wind-ically, that was a really special system and it may be a very long time before something rises to that level again.

The creepiest thing about that storm is that on the night that storm commenced the news was talking about finding several bodies buried on Long Island south shore beaches, evidence of a serial killer having operated there for a few years.  Still haven't found out who it was.

15 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I dunno, man. Judah Cohen seems excited about the SSW, and when did he ever lead us astray?

Lol

Tbh, I actually think it happens this time but I have no clue what that actually means for us.  For all I know the PV gets stuck on the other side of the globe.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

Lol

Tbh, I actually think it happens this time but I have no clue what that actually means for us.  For all I know the PV gets stuck on the other side of the globe.    

I cant wait until humankind advances to the point that we can geoengineer the climate so we wont have to bitch about something we cant control.

10 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

peak winter usually begins in the latter part of January.

but anyway this is probably more common than not hitting 90 in July.

I actually looked it up and historically speaking the coldest day of the year in NYC on average is January 29th. Surprised me quite a bit. Not surprisingly February is the snowiest month at Central Park.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 9:21 AM, Allsnow said:

No way...name your last blizzard and I’ll pull the h5 map up

all snow (like your name! lol)....our last blizzard was in Jan 2018 I believe and Jan 2016 before that.  We need that blocking, even if the NAO is rising when the storm hits, there's much more often than not a big NAO block prior to the event.

On 12/28/2020 at 12:26 PM, NJwx85 said:

I actually looked it up and historically speaking the coldest day of the year in NYC on average is January 29th. Surprised me quite a bit. Not surprisingly February is the snowiest month at Central Park.

Funny thing is it's shifted earlier....back in college I found an old weather book that had data from the 1800s, and it looks like February used to be our coldest month.  Both January and February averaged in the 20s, but February was like 2 degrees colder than January on average (27 vs 29).