• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

Reading the Mt Holly AFD this morning, this made me chuckle for some reason, but ofc it's the truth.

Expect low predictability to continue for another few cycles, as the complex interactions with multiple systems in both the polar and subtropical streams are of reduced scientific understanding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Not surprisingly, the new CanSIPS has a pretty good look for December, as the other LR guidance has been advertising for at least the first half. Looks like crap for the rest of met winter, as do the latest runs of the CFS.

Wonder the implications further down the road, if and when, the pv weakens ?  I would speculate good for cold and snow if we weaken the PV as this would improve the odds of favorable NAM state.   Really liked the long range zonal wind forecast from the Euro yesterday.   I believe Isotherm has Jan. in mind for a better cold and snow outcome.  The evolution from mid December on will indeed be very interesting. 

As we read the period around mid December is key to observing effects from wave 1 event and maybe a further weakening of the PV. You can't help but feel a bit better about the odds of snow and cold here eventually .  

• Like 1

This could be one of those winters that feature moderate sized snowstorms (between 6 and 12 inches) or clippers that are immediately followed by very cold temps because of a -EPO and PV parked over southern Canada. Snowpack retention ftw

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

We take 1 month at a time here :popcorn:

The point I was making is that it would be hard for it to not "catch on" at this point, considering we are now in December lol.

As for the rest of winter, January isn't that far away now, and our snow climo improves a lot from today, so worth monitoring the LR pattern trends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Not surprisingly, the new CanSIPS has a pretty good look for December, as the other LR guidance has been advertising for at least the first half. Looks like crap for the rest of met winter, as do the latest runs of the CFS.

did the Cansips once look bad for December?

23 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Just from memory of others posting it over the past couple of months, regardless of how December turns out, the Cansips will have gotten it right at some point.

That’s the thing with it and the CFS. They spit out enough solutions that they almost by default get it right

• Like 2

GFS a little further south with the SE Canada trough....maybe enough to deliver a little cold before it wraps up?  A  possible trend to watch...

ETA: CMC with the same trend...just not going to be enough to get it done as it looks now.  A nice cold high would be just what the doc ordered.  

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

This is already better than last year when seemingly nothing ever showed on models.

i think the models showed some promising stuff in Dec last year....but after jan--it was lights out--couldnt even find a model to show me snow that i could drive too

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic