Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

18 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Gfs is funny. Through 90hrs, I would have definitely said it would be a better outcome for us than 12z even. CAD is stronger, weaker OH valley primary, confluence a tick more, and shortwave deeper. 

I think the reason it comes so far inland is maybe the shortwave becomes negatively tilted a little sooner than we’d prefer? I don’t see much else. All within the range of possibility I guess. 

The jump due north between 96-102 is odd imo.

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

While the run of the GFS looks great for Deep Creek, I’d rather it move 75 miles east so it gets most of the forum in on a good storm.  Judging by the mood in here, we definitely need it.

We have time and the 18z Euro up next.  Maybe I set the bar too high...first flakes would be great

• Like 1

Just now, BristowWx said:

We have time and the 18z Euro up next.  Maybe I set the bar too high...first flakes would be great

I’m still sticking to my 3” bar so I don’t get disappointed out this way with expectation we switch to sleet or freezing rain as waa comes up over top 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

The jump due north between 96-102 is odd imo.

Look at those ensemble members in @NorthArlington101s maps. Can’t be 100% sure without individual panels, but looks like some also move due north between those panels. Difference is they’re all farther east when they do it vs the Op. I think the SLP center is following where the shortwave turns negatively tilted. 

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

I’m still sticking to my 3” bar so I don’t get disappointed out this way with expectation we switch to sleet or freezing rain as waa comes up over top 

Yes.  But again I just don’t see a ZR event.  I could be wrong but if the low is west it will erode the low level cold enough to get the Piedmont above 32.  We don’t have a 1045 over Albany with -25F temps bleeding down the apps.  This is rain or snow with thin layer of sleet somewhere.  It’s all about the low placement now.  I toggled back the last 3 GFS runs and west run means it pushed the cold and snow west.  Still time.  Let’s watch and not get invested.  

9 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

This might ease some concerns. GFS itself is an outlier. Trended warmer, but there aren't lows over the Potomac. Guessing that one member just south of D.C. might be messing with some of the ens data.

1608163200-7Piw7XC3nVU.png

1608174000-GYQtDXBKCfI.png

Wow, a few of those members are really skewing things. Most of those lows are in fantastic locations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Yes.  But again I just don’t see a ZR event.  I could be wrong but if the low is west it will erode the low level cold enough to get the Piedmont above 32.  We don’t have a 1045 over Albany with -25F temps bleeding down the apps.  This is rain or snow with thin layer of sleet somewhere.  It’s all about the low placement now.  I toggled back the last 3 GFS runs and west run means it pushed the cold and snow west.  Still time.  Let’s watch and not get invested.  

I’m not sure it’s too late to share the same sentiment with you :lol: 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

This might ease some concerns. GFS itself is an outlier. Trended warmer, but there aren't lows over the Potomac. Guessing that one member just south of D.C. might be messing with some of the ens data.

1608163200-7Piw7XC3nVU.png

1608174000-GYQtDXBKCfI.png

That is good to see! Interesting to see the GEFS more consistent than the EPS. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

One thing I noticed on the 18Z runs is the storm has slowed down. That gives the HP time to move to the northeast. Which brings the upper level winds in from the due south. That sucks for all of us. Yes. My area/81 gets blitzed regardless. But if that trend continues we all flip.  

Maybe, but more than anything, a low coming west of OC, and specifically west of the bay, is what screwed us on that run. That's going to screw us anytime. Well, maybe not you, but certainly the metros.

• Like 2

Interesting but even before the model shift west, most Mets I have read on NWS, DT,  and WB 
‘s JB have not felt that the cities east would get the heaviest snow.  So there should not be complete shock about the models at 18z. The question is due they continue a western trend, hold course, or shift back East.  We’ll start to get a answer at 0Z if this was a trend or blip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weather Will said:

Interesting but even before the model shift west, most Mets I have read on NWS, DT,  and WB 
‘s JB have not felt that the cities east would get the heaviest snow.  So there should not be complete shock about the models at 18z. The question is due they continue a western trend, hold course, or shift back East.  We’ll start to get a answer at 0Z if this was a trend or blip.

Did you look at the GEFS posted above or nah?

1 minute ago, Weather Will said:

I am just trying to be a realist.  I lived inside the Beltway for 25 years  before moving to Ellicott City and now Brunswick.  It snows more outside the Beltway.  Where is the forecast map from a pro met for Wed that has the bullseye in the cities eastward?

Not trying to be a jerk but no shit brother. We all know our Climo. We are just trying to find a way for all of us to score. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic