Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, WinterWolf said:

So you’re saying there’s a chance....?

Personally imo, I’d give it a lil more chance than 35%. 
 I’d say 50% especially as climo just keeps getting more and more favorable for SNE. 

Yeah there's definitely a chance. Basically what Ray said. But there's also a chance of something a little better than snow to rain if the s/ws break right. Think of if yesterday's system cut over Albany, what we would be looking at in a few days. I think there's a shot at that. I could care less about a quick inch or two that is gone by the time the storm's over, but I know for some every inch counts.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If you want to hone in on a narrower range, I feel like the best period for us is probably like 12/16-12/19. That’s when there’s some cold established nearby (or hopefully over us) and could work with an imperfect synoptic setup. 

12z Euro tries to develop a coastal along the front in the long range.

19 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

PIG setting up shop for the rest of the winter

image.png.9019578b38744627e2f210a868acbdb0.png

LOL fortune teller?

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

12z Euro tries to develop a coastal along the front in the long range.

LOL fortune teller?

Was just about to post the euro... I don’t have precip maps so not sure where precip is but the idea of a second wave has been an idea on the models for a bit, but spacing wasn’t good...this isn’t far from a legit coastal

• Like 1

Looks a bit like the last 10 days of dec 2007 or so...there just enough WPO to push the lower heights further south into Canada and the western US. 

That was an above normal period for us but it did have some threats and a couple advisory events. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Looks like some NAO...

Been over a year now since I have had a warning event...12/4/19....longest stretch since probably 2012, at least.

Yeah, it’s been a rough stretch down here as well. Kphl hasn’t had a inch of snow in 21 months 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks a bit like the last 10 days of dec 2007 or so...there just enough WPO to push the lower heights further south into Canada and the western US. 

That was an above normal period for us but it did have some threats and a couple advisory events. 

Seems like the MJO is stuck in phases 4-5. Do you think the negative WPO will help offset some of the positive EPO warmth?. 

1 minute ago, leo2000 said:

Seems like the MJO is stuck in phases 4-5. Do you think the negative WPO will help offset some of the positive EPO warmth?. 

Yeah it should help at least keep some cold nearby. It’s going to be above average for that period but that look still gives a chance for something unlike the more classic Death Star pattern. 

• Like 1

Not saying this will happen, but wtf, last year I think December 1 or so ASH 18" (I may be off etc),this year (ok oct about 3" for us), then December 5, well maybe 3-3.5" of crap last night, now many seeing a "pig", I hope this isn't a repeat of last season, many said after 9-12 (dec.) time frame will be our chances , now we are talking near Christmas   ? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

No, but the idea of the pattern getting awful around that time has support.

And there was also support for (the pattern)getting good now or very shortly...that changed fast too.  3 wks away is a long time. 

You know how it goes...there was support for a very nice looking pattern, until there wasn't support anymore.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1