Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Care to elaborate a tad..doesn’t have to be “war and peace”  but you know.

Stable-looking wave that puts a piece of the PV over us....one major difference I would contend here is that there is a huge NAO block there....which was not present in 2015.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Stable-looking wave that puts a piece of the PV over us....one major difference I would contend here is that there is a huge NAO block there....which was not present in 2015.

Does the block increase opportunities for clippers and East Coast cyclogenesis at lower latitudes versus 2015 ?  Thanks

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thanks for the explanation.

I would assume that block adds even a lil more intrigue to the mix...would it be safe to assume that from that snapshot? 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah gotta hope we see some consistency with that look from the 6z GfS because that’s a damn nice looking block. Models are going to vary though a lot until they get a good hold in this next event

Just now, frd said:

Does the block increase opportunities for clippers and East Coast cyclogenesis at lower latitudes versus 2015 ? 

Yeah that type of NAO block would be better for the Mid-Atlantic than a 2015 pattern without the block. That's pretty stout though and way out in la-la land on an OP run....so probably not happening like that. But there have been a -NAO signal on the ensembles the last day or so. So something to watch.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Tough break for SNEers with this weekend's upcoming storm. Ridging out west is usually welcomed but in my personal opinion it's almost too much (amplified). It's to the point where it breaks anticyclonically and "pinches off" the mid level low currently over TX Panhandle, preventing it to dig further south which is what needs to happen at this point to get any sort of favorable track to get that cold air to fill in NW of the surface low. 

I was looking even beyond that and around Dec.13-14th timeframe another massive low develops but it's behind the remnants of a deteriorated Rex Block which slides east and gives ya'll a cutter. You'll need the umbrella more than the shovel.

I'm not completely throwing in the towel on these two events for SNE yet but definitely concerned about the synoptic setup. I may end up with more snow than some of you up there ;)

Good to know that you aren't completely throwing in the towel on the day 13 event.

Christ, am I relieved.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

00z EPS was a nice overall mean if you smooth out the super amped runs with the wide right runs.  Somehow I don't think it happens like a middle of the road thing... it either seems weak and right, or very wound up and left.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-neng-total_snow_10to1-7385600.thumb.png.24c795297131d407b24818836e225fd1.png

I would take .7" and run, theoretically speaking, but I agree with you.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that type of NAO block would be better for the Mid-Atlantic than a 2015 pattern without the block. That's pretty stout though and way out in la-la land on an OP run....so probably not happening like that. But there have been a -NAO signal on the ensembles the last day or so. So something to watch.

Thanks, with wave breaking and some comments from Paul Rodney I believe about an eventual block forming in the NAO domain certainly something to keep an eye on.  

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You forgot one other contention ... 

... I had just set my first cup of coffee down and it was the first thing I happened to see     lol ...

but yeah, taken with a grain of salt/assault/sardonics... The stable deep heights is pretty amazing there - which is not a statement prediction .. it is what it is in the extended GFS overnight.

As far as the NAO ...yeah, it's a west based -SD sure ...but I don't know/think that is really a suppression look there. The spacing is too broad... I'd almost contend that the actual nodal distance in the coupled SPV to ridge is fine, but the SPV is just too strong/deep.  It would probably be difficult to engineer anything bigger than nickols when the mlv wind is too strong for S/W to differentiate - 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

6z maybe cheers you up? And why are you looking at op runs that far out? 

It's an improvement, no doubt. My last post was referring to the EPS but in terms of the OP, usually look at that 5+ days out for trends if anything and when it shows storms already cutting into Detroit, usually a good indicator that it will cut west at some sort of degree unless the EPS is showing completely different.

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There is going to be an NAO this month....it was pretty convincing even in the analog data from the outlook, but I think you are correct to question the intensity. I agree that we don't want a huge block.

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

NAM is going to suck some in. 

Yeah saw that - lol...

- It's interesting that this is still so variant < 5 days.  I mean ... our expectations should be reasonable - okay... but I don't think 84 to 96 before go time in the era of PITA-FLops and quantum processing, satellite electromagnetic thermal residence detection/fluid momentum transfer sampling .. .that it is really too much to ask for the 06z G F'n S not dumping any event at all. Wow on that...  while the ECM is rippin Cat 2 Nor'easter into Worcester...  Frankly - the GGEM of all runs seems like a blended path of least regret but - just when we bite... there's always another option magically emerging to screw that up too -