Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

It is November but this isn’t a good look when we’re talking about the upper level pattern. It’s decidedly bad. Which is a reversal from just a few days ago.

The same SST feedback issues that support a bad Pac are evident in the Atlantic. The Atlantic's huge rise in SST the last 3 years is the most meaningful and pronounced versus any other part of the globe to a large extent. The WAR is robust not only in the summer but even other seasons as well. 

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It is November but this isn’t a good look when we’re talking about the upper level pattern. It’s decidedly bad. Which is a reversal from just a few days ago.

I see its bad..really bad looking at the 6z GEFS at h5... but we have time on our side for it to turn around or just change completely.  I am taking an optimistic view this year to stay away from the reaper for as long as possible......... hold my reservation however....I'm using points and miles.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm just being objective, no reaper bit here. I'm not as deeply knowledgable about winter as I am with tropical, but reading from some of the mets in the NE subforum there is a pretty strong correlation between an Alaskan vortex (low) in late November/December and a lack of blocking for met winter.

You're right, we still have time to turn it around, but I don't like playing this close to the edge. Of course, last year we had a fantastic pattern to start met winter and it was erased in two weeks. 

It worries me when we see stability in a bad pattern on the GEFS and EPS.  Right now it looks pretty stable/bad at least here.  Up in your area its certainly more forgiving and you have more margin for error....but here as you know it could mean a shutout for a lot of us.  Plenty of time to worry about that later. 

39 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It worries me when we see stability in a bad pattern on the GEFS and EPS.  Right now it looks pretty stable/bad at least here.  Up in your area its certainly more forgiving and you have more margin for error....but here as you know it could mean a shutout for a lot of us.  Plenty of time to worry about that later. 

Don’t worry...Long range OP will save us.

1E9B0680-8D67-4EA2-BA7A-C757908EBAA6.png

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

2 hours ago, LP08 said:

Don’t worry...Long range OP will save us.

1E9B0680-8D67-4EA2-BA7A-C757908EBAA6.png

GFS having a hard time, ( but what is new ), honestly even the Euro last week was focusing on a -EPO cold air dump. That has changed now. 

EPS looks very warm for late November and early December. 

Afternoon BAMWx update

7 minutes ago, frd said:

GFS having a hard time, ( but what is new ), honestly even the Euro last week was focusing on a -EPO cold air dump. That has changed now. 

EPS looks very warm for late November and early December. 

Afternoon BAMWx update

Last winter too were a lot of -EPO head fakes.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

More often when we go into a healthy Nina it lasts multiple years. 1998/99-2000/01, 2007/8-2008/9, 2010/11-2011/12, 2016/17-2018/19. 

You've got to be kidding me...man I hope we can fluke something somehow this year. Or else we might be looking at a early-mid 70s-style snow drought, smh Life is too short to be waiting 2 additional years for frozen happiness to fall from the sky in a halfway decent manner again. Almost 5 years since 2016...last WSW to verify at BWI. At this rate that would be 7 years if we can't fluke something this year, smh I mean at least you don't have models doing good head fakes this time...not sure that makes it feel better though. 

And why the heck do ninas seem to happen more than ninos??? Seems like ya get like two niños a decade and 4 dang ninas! And the fact that the 2018-19 weak nino "didn't couple" (whatever random chaos caused that) yet the nina is healthier and has absolutely no problem? Figures...lol

Again...here's hoping for a fluke!

14 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

More often when we go into a healthy Nina it lasts multiple years. 1998/99-2000/01, 2007/8-2008/9, 2010/11-2011/12, 2016/17-2018/19. 

I would take a rerun of the last 2. 16-17 was meh, but pretty much median snowfall here, 17-18 was right at mean, which is about all anyone should ever hope for. Both had a chaseable big snowstorm/blizzard an hour away.

eta-  I shall clarify, since somehow @Eskimo Joe has gotten confused, Rerun of 16-17 and 17-18. Last time we had back to back Ninas.

Winter of 18-19 was not a Nina. It was the Nino fail, aka puny Nino.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

I would take a rerun of the last 2. 16-17 was meh, but pretty much median snowfall here, 17-18 was right at mean, which is about all anyone should ever hope for. Both had a chaseable big snowstorm/blizzard an hour away.

eta-  I shall clarify, since somehow @Eskimo Joe has gotten confused, Rerun of 16-17 and 17-18. Last time we had back to back Ninas.

Winter of 18-19 was not a Nina. It was the Nino fail, aka puny Nino.

That’s my fault I mis typed the years 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frd said:

Matches the Euro weeklies. Comfortable outside decorating weather. 

Extended GEFS still "evolves" the pattern to where +heights are building in the NAO domain a few days later, but it wouldn't do much good with that AK trough sitting there pumping the PAC puke and cutting off the supply of cold air. Hopefully we see a bit of a reshuffle out west by mid-month.