Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discobs 2020

George BM

13 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

What even happened? I've been swamped with life lately but literally every time I checked radar seemingly for the past few weeks, it's been down. Just seemed like an insanely long time without radar.

Bull-gear went bad. That's about the longest repair that the radar can have to endure. Add that to the fact that ROC (Radar Operations Center) is busy rebuilding the Lake Charles site. 

Bull-gear requires upwards of 15,000 pounds of equipment to be lifted into the radome and then for the entire unit to be lifted up so the gear can be serviced/replaced. 

It appears the heaviest rain over the next 4-5 days will fall along and NW of I-95. Looks like 2"+. per WPC. GFS likes NE MD for the heaviest stuff.

Even though it has been dry the last week, these damn mosquitoes are hanging in there, and they are bastards.

Let my yard get the least rain for a change. Need some legit cold nights too.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

3k looks promising for Sunday night 

Both NAMs show 1-3" of rain for many next 60-84 hours... though 00z 12km NAM has some 3-4" areas since there is more rain during the day on Monday after the 3km NAM run ends

ETA:  00z GFS is not as enthusiastic as the NAM twins through 84... most of the region gets between an inch of rain to around 1.5" along the BR

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Seeing data now which is good.

Only in MD, you can have this long an outage without absolute needing it (i.e. svr outbreaks).  I guess it would take a triple failure (DE/VA) to make something happen here.  This is truly a natural disaster free zone (before 9/11 we used to say disaster free!).

Not that I'm complaining, especially after the 08/23/11 quake that rattled chimney pots and wells.  Could have been costly since insurance doesn't cover that.

Those rain totals for central MD look tasty, but I'll believe it when I see it.  It has been so dry for so long.

I was just remembering the freak 10/10/79 snow -- we got 2-3 inches in Calvert, so I wonder what central/northern MD saw?  No one could believe what they were seeing.  There was a heat wave 11 days later with mid-80s.  The all-time record for Oct. 10 is 92.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CAPE said:

12z Euro generally has the heaviest rain from CHO to DC-BWI to DOV. 2-3". What a shocker. The whole region gets an inch plus though. I am still hoping for the lower end here, but recent history suggests otherwise.

Without question our areas have been the target zone since back in June. However, we have been getting our share of Fall weather.  Next weekend is a real prime Fall weekend. Better than a year ago. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, frd said:

Without question our areas have been the target zone since back in June. However, we have been getting our share of Fall weather.  Next weekend is a real prime Fall weekend. Better than a year ago. 

Yes it has been enjoyable, other than the damn late summer/fall batch of mosquitoes. They need to go. I would have sprayed some methyl-ethyl bad shiit a couple weeks ago if I knew they were going to be this persistent.

30 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Clouding up here in the jungle region of the state. Seeing heavier rain totals to my NW all week made me laugh. As expected the bullseye has settled here where it belongs. Looking forward to my 2-3+ inches. I sure hope this continues this winter. Colder flooding rain lol

LOL clouding up here in the desert too.  Looking forward to my 0.2 to 0.3

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Gfs and ggem with first freeze chances starting next weekend. Euro a bit warmer as it stalls the front. 

Seems as in past Octobers the warmer than average Western Alantic waters have induced a later freeze along the Eastern zones and coastal plain. Might even be responsible for stalling of cold fronts. Center of the country gets a taste of winter next weekend. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic