• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Areri
    Newest Member
    Areri

October Banter 2020

I've been at my current job long enough to unlock the extra 5 days vacation perk. My youngest is in college. And I have a 2-year-old lab who loves the car and hikes.  All of which means, given the dire chatter in the winter thread, I am mentally packed to chase snow this season. A bunch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I've been at my current job long enough to unlock the extra 5 days vacation perk. My youngest is in college. And I have a 2-year-old lab who loves the car and hikes.  All of which means, given the dire chatter in the winter thread, I am mentally packed to chase snow this season. A bunch.

You won’t have to go any further than Winchester B)

• Like 1

The lone good thing I see about this winter is that we literally have not one model posting even anything decent for the winter. Every thing looks ugly. This is beautiful for a contrarian like me. I will take my chances and hope. And btw I couldn’t do much worse than the 10 mangled snowflakes that I saw last winter. 

My girlfriend and I raced up to a Frederick coffee shop early this afternoon and did our weekly meetings from there. Then I rode my bike for the rest of the afternoon into this evening going through the covered bridges around the area, and then met back up with my girl at Attaboy Brewery. Enjoying a pressed Cuban sandwich from the food truck (Matto-Press) and a barrel aged cherry sour. Both are phenomenal. And a nice, empty outdoor seating area here too.

image.jpeg.ff9563f7c3c50b100b5fa7a59a0015c5.jpeg

image.jpeg.6c216b3285c5e2d9431c45793c755d95.jpeg

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

The lone good thing I see about this winter is that we literally have not one model posting even anything decent for the winter. Every thing looks ugly. This is beautiful for a contrarian like me. I will take my chances and hope. And btw I couldn’t do much worse than the 10 mangled snowflakes that I saw last winter. 

On a bit of a Nina roll there. Can we make it 3 for 3 on Jan beach snowstorms? Never know.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

My girlfriend and I raced up to a Frederick coffee shop early this afternoon and did our weekly meetings from there. Then I rode my bike for the rest of the afternoon into this evening going through the covered bridges around the area, and then met back up with my girl at Attaboy Brewery. Enjoying a pressed Cuban sandwich from the food truck (Matto-Press) and a barrel aged cherry sour. Both are phenomenal. And a nice, empty outdoor seating area here too.

image.jpeg.ff9563f7c3c50b100b5fa7a59a0015c5.jpeg

image.jpeg.6c216b3285c5e2d9431c45793c755d95.jpeg

Where is that covered bridge at?  Looks like the one in Thurmont we would take our dogs swimming too.

6 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Where is that covered bridge at?  Looks like the one in Thurmont we would take our dogs swimming too.

That’s the Roddy Road bridge, and yes, it’s just outside Thurmont. There are also two others in the area, Utica, and Loy’s Station.

• Like 1

@CAPE

I’m starting the yeast this evening for the Fear imperial pumpkin beer clone (we call it Ichabod’s Imperial Pumpkin). I’ll pick the pumpkins from the garden this afternoon and roast them to make a pumpkin slurry for the mash, and then brewing on Sunday, 

Maybe we can meet in a couple of weeks on Kent Island and I can give you a growler.

image.jpeg.dd61405710063ceb5339ca36ad7b08ef.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

@CAPE

I’m starting the yeast this evening for the Fear imperial pumpkin beer clone (we call it Ichabod’s Imperial Pumpkin). I’ll pick the pumpkins from the garden this afternoon and roast them to make a pumpkin slurry for the mash, and then brewing on Sunday, 

Maybe we can meet in a couple of weeks on Kent Island and I can give you a growler.

image.jpeg.dd61405710063ceb5339ca36ad7b08ef.jpeg

Great name and artwork. Yours will probably be better, although that is probably my fav overall. What spices are going to be prominent? 

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Great name and artwork. Yours will probably be better, although that is probably my fav overall. What spices are going to be prominent? 

My girlfriend makes all of our keezer beer signs, so no credit to me for the artwork.  I generally go about half of what recipes call for with spices because they can really overpower a beer quickly, so we use 1.5 teaspoon per 5 gallon batch with a combo of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.  I might throw a couple of dashes pumpkin pie spice in during the whirlpool for aroma.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

My girlfriend makes all of our keezer beer signs, so no credit to me for the artwork.  I generally go about half of what recipes call for with spices because they can really overpower a beer quickly, so we use 1.5 teaspoon per 5 gallon batch with a combo of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.  I might throw a couple of dashes pumpkin pie spice in during the whirlpool for aroma.

Good man. This is why there are very few pumpkin beers I like. Too many badly done ones that nauseate me about halfway through the first one.

I like the DFH Punkin Ale more than I have in the past.. It has a decent hint of cloves and a bit of cinnamon, but not at all overwhelming.

• Like 1

Carroll county public schools pulled the rug on highschool returning to in person ( Hybrid)on Monday...they waited to the last effing minute.  My 16 yr old  daughter is very disappointed.  She is by her own idea going to email the school system.  I told her speak up for yourself.  I just talked to my brother tonight and he lives in Dallastown, Pa school district and they're are on week 6 of full in person with teachers full in person as well. They've had no school closures as of yet and just scattered cases with no serious illnesses or deaths.  This is repeated all over the country . But you won't hear about it on mainstream media because it doesn't fit the narrative.  These kids deserve wayy better.  Get the kids back in school.  No science supports 100% virtual for everyone.  Kids being IN the classroom is essential and Teachers are essential to being in the classroom with them ... period. We are ALL essential...to each other, our families,  communities,  and to keep this country afloat . Rant over . I'm sure this post will offend someone and it will be deleted most likely.  That's ok. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Carroll county public schools pulled the rug on highschool returning to in person ( Hybrid)on Monday...they waited to the last effing minute.  My 16 yr old  daughter is very disappointed.  She is by her own idea going to email the school system.  I told her speak up for yourself.  I just talked to my brother tonight and he lives in Dallastown, Pa school district and they're are on week 6 of full in person with teachers full in person as well. They've had no school closures as of yet and just scattered cases with no serious illnesses or deaths.  This is repeated all over the country . But you won't hear about it on mainstream media because it doesn't fit the narrative.  These kids deserve wayy better.  Get the kids back in school.  No science supports 100% virtual for everyone.  Kids being IN the classroom is essential and Teachers are essential to being in the classroom with them ... period. We are ALL essential...to each other, our families,  communities,  and to keep this country afloat . Rant over . I'm sure this post will offend someone and it will be deleted most likely.  That's ok. 

It is insane that some schools are not back in person.  My kids have been going since late August and we have had no issues.  I am also in Pennsylvania 

• Like 1

I can just speak for my own region--I think I hear that between 40-45% of the schools here are doing some form of in-person, and it has worked relatively well so far. Here locally, we're hybrid with students/parents making the choice to go in or stay virtual and although we've had some closures due to positive cases, my understanding has been that the bulk of those cases have come from transmission outside of school. 

Cases have gone up here, unrelated to schools I think, and that rise could force things to go all virtual again, but I think the folks here have done a pretty good job producing a well communicated and well informed plan that allows parents to make the choice and protects teachers/administrators. People are split. Some would rather have kids in-person, others want to stay virtual. I don't have a kid but I definitely understand why someone would be in favor of either. 

Edit: That's why I think choice is so important...provided you can do things safely. 

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

It’s no surprise why school enrollment in public schools (at least around here in NoVA) is down this year.  School leaders have failed students and parents IMO. 

My two oldest grand children have been back in the classroom basically since Labor Day. They are in a private pre-school and a private school in the Baltimore area. However, I  do think there has not been a week where at least one of them has school canceled because of a Covid scare. Because, the classes are small (big difference there between large classes in a City public school and a pay out of the gazoo private school), the possibility of an infection in the class is limited. It also helps to have a lot of  parents of students who are Hopkins doctors and can almost instantly arrange Covid testing or so I have heard. Nevertheless, I do believe  if we do not get the kids back in school full-time until there is a vaccine (who knows when), we are going to waste a generation of children.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I agree with almost everything in your post.  The rural areas should be doing more in person instruction.  The numbers do not justify having kids be virtual everyday (I have a Kinder in Arlington and man that is not school but its at least something).  I do believe (and my wife is an admin in FFx county so I have seen some of the behind the scenes stuff) that schools are set up to fail no matter what they do.  One direction unfortunately can't fit all.  The country has asked for public schools to change the entire curriculum in 3 months.

To the bolded above, why are teachers the only profession being forced back?  No other occupation is demanding someone to go back to work and the certainly don't get paid to be essential. There is increased risk as well to the nature of in person school with 15 ppl in one room for up to 7 hours a day.  Most of that is against all CDC guidelines.

One of my biggest issues is that schools have to set up "isolation rooms".  If a kid has any of the symptoms of Covid, they get sent into an isolation room inside the school until their parents can come get them and someone from the school has to be in there with them.  They have not been given N95s or any other kind of PPE to protect them and have to supply their own.  They are not doctors and shouldn't have to be exposed like that but that is just my 0.02.

There needs to be a bigger effort from above the school level for this to work and unfortunately the current administration all the way down to the local school boards has failed and that is why we are where we are.  Look at other countries where they have sent kids back.  PPE, thermometers (Her school had to buy thermometers for every room in the school with their own money), and testing is in place to support schools.

Rant over and possibly this will be deleted but wanted to have a convo about it!  Lets hope it snows soon.

2 hours ago, LP08 said:

To the bolded above, why are teachers the only profession being forced back?  No other occupation is demanding someone to go back to work and the certainly don't get paid to be essential. There is increased risk as well to the nature of in person school with 15 ppl in one room for up to 7 hours a day.  Most of that is against all CDC guidelines.

They are essential and should be absolutely paid as such, and it should have been that way well before COVID hit. Unfortunately we will learn the hard way in 5-10 years when we see the real tragedy of this virus through how it impacted this generation of kids and ultimately the country..

Virus transmission is a high risk for teachers in general, whether it be COVID or anything else, any of which could be deadly given unique circumstances. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

They are essential and should be absolutely paid as such, and it should have been that way well before COVID hit. Unfortunately we will learn the hard way in 5-10 years when we see the real tragedy of this virus through how it impacted this generation of kids and ultimately the country..

Virus transmission is a high risk for teachers in general, whether it be COVID or anything else, any of which could be deadly given unique circumstances. 

Kids are resilient.  

1 hour ago, Yeoman said:

Maybe this will finally kick some of that into motion, finally.

It's been 2 months of at home learning.  I don't think this with have an every lasting effect on kids.  They are malleable and will adapt and some will even thrive with at home learning. 

I have seen more kids playing outside this summer than at any point since I moved to Arlington.

I'm not saying all will be good but I don't buy that this will change and hurt them forever.