Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

In covid news, over 12,000 cases in Illinois today.

Really the entire heartland is spinning into a bad situation.

Don’t worry, I’m told it will be taken care of very soon and then I’m sure your local government will let you take off your mask and return to normal life. For now, stay at home and enjoy the latest offerings from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, DoorDash, Amazon, Instacart, Netflix, and other great options from our benevolent coporate friends. Reminder: dining out or shopping at small business establishments is very dangerous and could kill grandma. Don’t do it. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The mask wearing looks pretty good, but the social distsncing aspect gets an F grade.  Yelling/screaming obviously not advised either even when wearing a mask.

Wasn’t being an ass about it either. With all the drinking going on, people are going to get loose tonight as well. People who wanted Biden certainly deserve to celebrate but not good

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s awesome Ginxy.  People still wait like 5 days up here to find out.  

My daughter has had at least 6 tests in VT.  With every one the results are within 24 hours.  My wife and tested last Monday in the Boston area-negative results in 3 days.  I think VT is doing better than you think.  

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

My daughter has had at least 6 tests in VT.  With every one the results are within 24 hours.  My wife and tested last Monday in the Boston area-negative results in 3 days.  I think VT is doing better than you think.  

No I’m sure they are doing better than I think, our hospital is in the UVM network but most of our employees are still averaging 3-5 days for a test result, sometimes up to 7.

But on an unrelated note, the UVM medical network has also been hit hard with a ransomeware attack.  They are screwed still for a while.  No records, lot of hand written documents and charts.  My buddy is having hand surgery and was asked to bring his copy of his X-Rays as it’s the only copy they have at this point (the one they printed for him to take home).

”The Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating a cyberattack that caused a shutdown of the University of Vermont Health Network’s online systems. 

UVM Medical Center President Steve Leffler said Thursday officials had not identified the source of the attack that had downed the electronic health records system and its patient portal, where patients can access their appointment information and medical history. After learning of the issues on Wednesday afternoon, the staff switched to all paper medical records, Leffler said. 

Some appointments Thursday were cancelled, including certain surgeries and elective X-rays, Leffler said. The Burlington hospital has temporarily stopped taking trauma patients transferred from other emergency rooms. The system shutdown will likely delay the result of some Covid tests.

According to Rajewski, similar attacks by the malware known as Ryuk have been increasing in recent months. He said he’s seen ransomware hit businesses and nonprofits of every size and in every sector. Recently, health care organizations have been a target. Since July, hospitals in New York, Nebraska, Ohio, Missouri and Michigan have reported cyberattacks. In recent days, an Oregon hospital and St. Lawrence Health Systems in New York were also hit. 

On Wednesday night, federal officials — from the FBI, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency and the Department of Health and Human Services — warned of an “increased and imminent cybercrime threat to U.S. hospitals and healthcare providers.” Health care providers should “take timely and reasonable precautions to protect their networks from these threats.”

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No I’m sure they are doing better than I think, our hospital is in the UVM network but most of our employees are still averaging 3-5 days for a test result, sometimes up to 7.

But on an unrelated note, the UVM medical network has also been hit hard with a ransomeware attack.  They are screwed still for a while.  No records, lot of hand written documents and charts.  My buddy is having hand surgery and was asked to bring his copy of his X-Rays as it’s the only copy they have at this point (the one they printed for him to take home).

”The Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating a cyberattack that caused a shutdown of the University of Vermont Health Network’s online systems. 

UVM Medical Center President Steve Leffler said Thursday officials had not identified the source of the attack that had downed the electronic health records system and its patient portal, where patients can access their appointment information and medical history. After learning of the issues on Wednesday afternoon, the staff switched to all paper medical records, Leffler said. 

Some appointments Thursday were cancelled, including certain surgeries and elective X-rays, Leffler said. The Burlington hospital has temporarily stopped taking trauma patients transferred from other emergency rooms. The system shutdown will likely delay the result of some Covid tests.

According to Rajewski, similar attacks by the malware known as Ryuk have been increasing in recent months. He said he’s seen ransomware hit businesses and nonprofits of every size and in every sector. Recently, health care organizations have been a target. Since July, hospitals in New York, Nebraska, Ohio, Missouri and Michigan have reported cyberattacks. In recent days, an Oregon hospital and St. Lawrence Health Systems in New York were also hit. 

On Wednesday night, federal officials — from the FBI, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency and the Department of Health and Human Services — warned of an “increased and imminent cybercrime threat to U.S. hospitals and healthcare providers.” Health care providers should “take timely and reasonable precautions to protect their networks from these threats.”

Yep. I had to request some records for one of our investigations (we investigate provider Medicaid fraud) and they can’t produce them right now. And my blood test had to be resent from my doc to the lab by fax yesterday. 

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hackers should hang or at minimum publicly stoned to death

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t even know what to say. These crowds are terrible and are no better than all the crowds people saw and criticized at Trump rallies. Mask or no mask there’s a significant spike happening in a lot of the country and these crowds are far from socially distanced.

We’re not going to get out of this if we keep flushing health recommendations when it’s convenient for us.

LOL

I appreciate the sentiment but it’s clear there will be no media or “expert” scolding of those at these celebrations. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ve had like 16 tests now, all results within 24 hours.. usually within 18

I still havent gone for 1 test yet. Just felt like I didnt need to yet. If I start to feel sick or family member geta diagnosed I will obviously. But who knows, I could of been a super spreader.

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL

I appreciate the sentiment but it’s clear there will be no media or “expert” scolding of those at these celebrations. 

Had CNN on earlier and they noted the lack of social distancing while pointing out the vast majority were wearing masks.  It's not excusable though, and it's happening in umpteen places across the country right now.

Biden is walking into a tremendous mess.  There's no telling how bad this will be in 2 1/2 months.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Had CNN on earlier and they noted the lack of social distancing while pointing out the vast majority were wearing masks.  It's not excusable though, and it's happening in umpteen places across the country right now.

Biden is walking into a tremendous mess.  There's no telling how bad this will be in 2 1/2 months.

I’m sure the media will make sure Biden handles it just fine. Zero chance they hold him accountable for a thing. Let’s be real here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I’m sure the media will make sure Biden handles it just fine. Zero chance they hold him accountable for a thing. Let’s be real here. 

I'm not going down that road.  :P

Would be nice to see Biden make some mention of it in his speech tonight.  He campaigned in a cautious way during this pandemic, so it would be good to tell those out in the streets who voted for him to remember that we are in a pandemic.  The crowds may be out there again tomorrow and maybe even after that.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm not going down that road.  :P

Would be nice to see Biden make some mention of it in his speech tonight.  He campaigned in a cautious way during this pandemic, so it would be good to tell those out in the streets who voted for him to remember that we are in a pandemic.  The crowds may be out there again tomorrow and maybe even after that.

LOL

oh man this is going to be so fun to watch. 

Best of luck with the new administration. I’m sure they will be tough and decisive. 

• Haha 1