• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PoZitron20
    Newest Member
    PoZitron20

Fall Banter and General Discussion

We have Spectrum here.  Without the box we can’t use the Spectrum app so no broadcast tv.  A digital antenna won’t work out here.  The service has been pretty good for us but I wish the price was lower.
Ive considered YouTube TV etc but their price keeps rising too.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Local town utilities are the way to go.

Holyoke Gas and Electric maintains a fiber ring and operates as an ISP around the city.  It's a pretty cool place to tour.  You get to observe ops for a 33MW hydroelectric dam, a large solar installation, a municipal telecom, and a fish lift.  

Plus electric and internet is dirt cheap, lowest in the state, and more than 90% carbon neutral.  

• Like 2

Spectrum sucks, we have it. The box and guide are from the 1980s, like our winters. But I recently went with their 10 channel basic package. So internet + 10 channels ‘ala cart’ + hbo/showtime/starz comes out to $140/mo. Even if we became cable cutters we’d still pay $70-80/mo for shitty spectrum internet and then whatever streaming service would basically amount to the same. If Starlink becomes a thing, I’ll jump on it. 

While you guys are struggling with Spectrum performance, I am struggling to get them to come to my house and hook me up. Right now, I have two LTE modems and a Viasat link that I pass through a load-balancing router. Basically, I take three super-shitty connections and form them into one shitty connection. Spectrum has to be better than that mess.

14 minutes ago, radarman said:

Once gen z figures out you can't play video games on starlink it'll be a bunch of betamaxes in orbit

I'm sure they can be used for other uses for the US government and technology companies, such as becoming a massive spy network or global repository of user data. Elon may use lasers mounted on-board to draw a giant penis in a desert somewhere too.

• Haha 1

I’ve always had an intense hatred for Spectrum, since way before they were called that. Having said that, their internet service has been pretty damn good. We have 3 of us online all day doing work and school, plus my son does a lot of gaming after he’s done with school and there have been very few issues. Of course for cable and internet it’s $170 a month and I hate that but I can lower that some more by getting rid of one of the boxes and DVR capabilities. 

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

I’ve always had an intense hatred for Spectrum, since way before they were called that. Having said that, their internet service has been pretty damn good. We have 3 of us online all day doing work and school, plus my son does a lot of gaming after he’s done with school and there have been very few issues. Of course for cable and internet it’s $170 a month and I hate that but I can lower that some more by getting rid of one of the boxes and DVR capabilities. 

We also use them for a house phone since our cell service is terrible.    Not that we use it.     I think the only calls we get or receive on it are from my MIL.  We only have the one box and got rid of DVR a couple of years ago. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We also use them for a house phone since our cell service is terrible.    Not that we use it.     I think the only calls we get or receive on it are from my MIL.  We only have the one box and got rid of DVR a couple of years ago. 

They always want to bundle with phone but it wouldn’t save us any money. We just use cell phones over the wifi.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I do too, my wife wanted to try AT & T TV so we just hooked up, I kept Spectrum on my TV for one more month until we make a decision. She seems to like it much better and it's a lot cheaper. Unfortunately AT & T doesn't have a cable service so I'd have to keep Spectrum for that. I'm dumping land line phone with them since we use our cells 99% of the time.

• Like 1

I have Spectrum for cable and internet. I’m one of the few millennials who hasn’t cut the cord but when you price out internet + YouTubeTV (need live sports) + Netflix (though to be fair, i bootleg off someone’s account)+whatever else, it’s MAYBE $10-15 dollars more per month. Worth it for the convenience factor for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bch2014 said:

I have Spectrum for cable and internet. I’m one of the few millennials who hasn’t cut the cord but when you price out internet + YouTubeTV (need live sports) + Netflix (though to be fair, i bootleg off someone’s account)+whatever else, it’s MAYBE $10-15 dollars more per month. Worth it for the convenience factor for me. 

Yes... I’m 26 and feel the same way. Everyone talks about cutting the cord, but unless you are strictly going to be using just WiFi with no streaming or sports at all, it’s just not worth it. By the time you pay for YouTube tv or any of those type of services plus WiFi, and like you said, streaming subscriptions, it’s about the same.

I think the people like the idea of “cutting the cord” but in practice, it’s more of a hassle and actually saves you very little money, which is supposed to be the big draw 

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Holyoke Gas and Electric maintains a fiber ring and operates as an ISP around the city.  It's a pretty cool place to tour.  You get to observe ops for a 33MW hydroelectric dam, a large solar installation, a municipal telecom, and a fish lift.  

Plus electric and internet is dirt cheap, lowest in the state, and more than 90% carbon neutral.  

Chicopee could give them a good run but is only in the early stages of getting going with an ISP. Interesting to see how it turns out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scoob40 said:

Chicopee could give them a good run but is only in the early stages of getting going with an ISP. Interesting to see how it turns out.

Chicopee was the only town/city we never made an electric heat adjustment, it was on par with oil and gas, probably cheaper than oil.

It looks like an olive purée. I can’t stand olives but I’ve seen people put that on bread or crackers before. 

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

What's the stuff on the right between the cheese and nachos?

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Olives in brown colored liquid :yikes:

56 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It looks like an olive purée. I can’t stand olives but I’ve seen people put that on bread or crackers before. 

Tapenade

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Towns are already doing their own fiber optic. This should be every town. Comcast can eff themselves. 

Comcast, verizon, ATT all need to be broken up for antitrust.   Just like Ma Bell was back in the day when ginxy got his camera phone. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mreaves said:

Just have one box and run the spectrum app off your other tvs.