• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Treyfish
    Newest Member
    Treyfish

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Governor of NH is on TV.  NH is finally issuing a state wide mask mandate.  Long overdue.  Biggest new case numbers today since spring.  Positivity rate is jumping.  Up to 4.5%
Our gov just issued restaurant closure curfew. All have to be closed by 9pm.

40 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My brothers girlfriend tested positive today, she works as a dental assistant and was exposed at work, and got it. My brother is awaiting results, but since they live together, we are assuming he has it to.

He has no symptoms, her only symptom is loss of taste.

Pretty curious how she was exposed at a dental office, when I went to mine, they were decked out head to toe in gear.

My dentist has this weird hepa vacuum filter on an arm that hangs right next to your head. 

As a teacher, I'm disappointed by folks who say I'll have parties if I want to. When someone in the school tests positive anyone whonhas been in close contact is sent home. Even if there are no cases spread apart from the one person who is positive,  contacts are sent home as well. Schools in my neck of the woods that are closing are mostly doing it because too many staff members can't come in. One positive case case can send several staff members home. If people want to see schools stay open, they have to realize their personal choices affect others.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Those venues can’t open in Massachusetts until phase 4. Phase 4 is “treatments or a vaccine” according to Bakers’ phased reopening plan. 

I see where RI is going on a 2 week “pause”. 33% capacity on indoor dining, gyms closed, no youth sports. She also said the following”

"If Rhode Island cooperates and complies for two weeks….We have a real shot to temper the rise which would allow us to limit the pause to just two weeks," Raimondo said. "If we don't, then I will have to go back to a total lockdown."

Not sure what complies and cooperates mean. From what I gather, RI is really mask compliment. I’m not sure how much more mask and distancing compliment the general population can get up here. 

She is just throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks. She's to scared to lock down RI again because she knows the consequences. 

If she was gonna do it, she would of done it now.

• Like 1

I can tell you that when I went to Nashua about a week and a half ago, social distancing was pretty much a pipe dream in stores. When people were waiting in line, the carts enforced some spacing but other than that, it was business as normal but with masks. And I do understand, the viral load that I'd probably get from the guy who just has to pick out cheese just when I am is probably super small. As a marker for a "everything is normal but you have to wear a mask" thought pattern, I think it's probably about right. There's an old saw about economic downturns: If you lose your job, it's a recession. If I lose my job, it's a depression. And at this point, I suspect that there's a lot of people who are just not personally seeing it and so are feeling like it's not a big deal.

And yes, I think that we're going to see some eye opening case numbers in December. The CDC advising people not to travel for Thanksgiving now is a late to the party. People have already made their plans.

Heading into $hit hitting the fan territory with covid.  3 weeks ago we were just starting to approach 100k cases per day, and today we had about 2000 deaths reported.  Now it's 150-200k cases per day.  What is that going to look like in the death toll a few weeks from now?

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Who has more COVID exposure: teachers or TSA airport screeners?

Protecting teachers by closing down schools (even it screws the children) seems to enjoy more support than does the idea of shutting down the airports to protect the TSA screeners. Interesting.

If you think of it in terms of the three C's: close, crowded and continuous, the TSA people are probably at less risk than other professions. I think there's so much variation on what schools are doing that it's not an easy answer. 

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Who has more COVID exposure: teachers or TSA airport screeners?

Protecting teachers by closing down schools (even it screws the children) seems to enjoy more support than does the idea of shutting down the airports to protect the TSA screeners. Interesting.

It's about protecting everyone and slowing down the spread. If you're referring to my post,  my point is that when people are in direct contact with someone who tests positive,  they have to quarantine.  I didn't mention shutting down schools just to protect teachers and staff.  When there are too many people who have to quarantine, sxhools shut down because there aren't enough people to supervise kids.

Most public schools have limited actual in person attendance.  After you figure in families who left for private schools and families who chose private tutoring and 100% virtual options you are left with class sizes of 15,10, 5, even 3 or 2 . That much safer for kids.  I challenge anyone to show evidence of increased hospitalizations or deaths due directly from school spreading the virus. 

3 minutes ago, NECT said:

It's about protecting everyone and slowing down the spread. If you're referring to my post,  my point is that when people are in direct contact with someone who tests positive,  they have to quarantine.  I didn't mention shutting down schools just to protect teachers and staff.  When there are too many people who have to quarantine, sxhools shut down because there aren't enough people to supervise kids.

I don't expect the schools to be handled rationally by this country during this pandemic. That's why we chose to homeschool. In-person school is like jail for kids, and remote learning is basically just homeschooling with an overseer watching you on Zoom. 

Ok I’ll be the first to say it...that COVID isn’t transmissible between 10pm and 5am is such a lucky gene mutation break. What a sh**show it’d be if that wasn’t the case.

• Haha 1

A few points...and some are getting off the rails political...

In Massachusetts at least there has been a centralized curriculum since the mid 1990s. That’s what we all teach from. We are given autonomy to teach it more or less in the way we see fit. Schools are being closed not by unions. That is a right wing taking point that has been disproven numerous times. 
The CDC itself has walked back the push to keep schools open in communities where spread is large    The district I work in now has an overall 14 day positive average of 7.75%. I will have my kids in front of me today. Weekly student and staff positive cases are more than doubling each week. Every day we have more and more parents who had signed up for their kids to be in school pulling them back into remote.   The community decides this. 

Fun times

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A few points...and some are getting off the rails political...

In Massachusetts at least there has been a centralized curriculum since the mid 1990s. That’s what we all teach from. We are given autonomy to teach it more or less in the way we see fit. Schools are being closed not by unions. That is a right wing taking point that has been disproven numerous times. 
The CDC itself has walked back the push to keep schools open in communities where spread is large    The district I work in now has an overall 14 day positive average of 7.75%. I will have my kids in front of me today. Weekly student and staff positive cases are more than doubling each week. Every day we have more and more parents who had signed up for their kids to be in school pulling them back into remote.   The community decides this. 

Fun times

I mean you’d know better than me, but it seems to me that high ranking union officials were pushing very hard, especially early in the fall, to keep schools remote. 

Like I mentioned before, the general sentiment of teachers I don’t believe matches the union positions. However, the union in a lot of places was fighting to keep schools closed, I think that was pretty well documented.

It’s a lose lose proposition at this point I think. People are either getting sick, or mad that schools are not open. Obviously school is not an environment that normally has distancing built in.

• Like 1

On another note, Massachusetts rejected sports betting, again. I hate this place sometimes. Lawmakers so out of touch with what the majority wants.

I wonder if this is another chuck faker personal vendetta like keeping golf courses closed in the spring.

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

On another note, Massachusetts rejected sports betting, again. I hate this place sometimes. Lawmakers so out of touch with what the majority wants.

I wonder if this is another chuck faker personal vendetta like keeping golf courses closed in the spring.

Massachusetts is still very puritanical in a lot of ways. We’re not that far removed from the blue laws. 

Hi all. Long time lurker. Was it a bad choice to start chatting this year? Anyway, here I am. Great banter from you all over the years...since I was in high school. I’ll be asking questions now and again please forgive my ignorance! Be well

• Like 2

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I don’t think many teachers want to go full person and supported remote. 

According to CDC, they consider full in person to be high risk.  

My wife is doing full in person other than the kids whose parents kept them home

Spread in schools in MA is here.  Cases fave doubled over the last week, so that means we have community spread ongoing.  While you can't make a direct correlation, deaths have also been rising in the State, so I'm sure schools are playing some part in that increase. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mnuchin-pulls-plug-on-some-coronavirus-emergency-lending-programs-over-feds-objections-11605826491?mod=home-page

Seems to me Treasury wants the 455 billion back so they can use it toward a stimulus IMO ASAP 

Those fed programs were barely being used if I recall correctly , the Fed was not initiating small business loans at all to keep business going W these programs and if they state they wanted them “in case” I have no idea what case they were waiting for to initiate the loan programs but they were way 2 stringent W those particular credit facilities and were holding up 455 B.

My wife is a teacher. Unions definitely didn’t want full in-person...and for good reason. Having 30 high schoolers packed into a small room with shitty ventilation is about the least ideal setup.  

Her district ended up doing hybrid. Class sizes stay below 14. Most of her classes are single digits. Kids get broken into cohorts and they go in person 2 days per week with Wednesday being a remote day for everyone (to keep each cohort getting the same number of in-person each week) 

The head of the Mass teacher union sure is a peach 

I have someone close to me who works with all superintendents and  has worked with her since her appointment and calls her appointment a grave mistake As she seems to enjoy a fight a tad too much 

134 Schools begin phase 1 of Abbott rapid sting in Early December , but will be used only on Symptomatic potential carriers .

The amount of variance in teacher opinions regarding school seems on par with the variance in ordinary society with a general lean toward hybrid in person toward elementary and toward hybrid/ full remote for H.S