• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    MDweatherman
    Newest Member
    MDweatherman

Fall Banter and General Discussion

5 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I just learned today that where I work, Juneteenth is going to become a work holiday starting in June, 2021.

Same.... there is speculation that it will be replacing something else though where I work. Not sure what that would be; or how true that is though .

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Same.... there is speculation that it will be replacing something else though where I work. Not sure what that would be; or how true that is though .

Yeah. They talked about using the floating holiday but voted against that as it would just be "moving one day to another" and that it would not be an original day off.  For now it is an added holiday.  (15 holidays now)

2 hours ago, Brewbeer said:

There is a politics subforum only 2 clicks away and it has a covid thread.

Ha, for many on here the PR forum is like venturing into the dark web.  You do have to have pretty thick skin over there

2 hours ago, mattb65 said:

I can understand the various perspectives from those in favor of lockdowns and those vehemently opposed. It does seem that the calculus changes a bit with the news of an effective vaccine. There is now a tangible end point, back in the spring the end point was highly uncertain with most seeming to assume no vaccine would be developed for years. With a tangible end point now with much less uncertainty, a rational accounting of the costs in terms of lives, economic impact, etc can realistically be calculated at this point.

We also have already seen that once the brakes are taken off, the economy does seem to rebound pretty effectively. If the restrictions are taken off and the virus is no longer a threat, I believe there will be a realease of a lot of pent up demand for travel, entertainment, and all the other industries most affected by the virus.

I would also categorically disagree that we are a country of people that would lose their motivation to go out and work hard to move up the economic ladder if they were given government support for a month or two especially since the support would end.

It's an interesting thought experiment, in the end I just hope everyone here doesn't lose someone they love to this virus and doesn't lose their livelihood or mental well being. This virus has taken a heavy toll on all of us.

The support wouldn’t end under certain conditions, IMO. 

7 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That suck Jerry.  My FIL is the same.  He's going on 8mo now since being diagnosed with a glioblastoma.  We're in a holding pattern until the chemo stops working or he has some sort of stroke/aneurysm due to the swelling in his brain. We're planning on Thanksgiving in CT for a small gathering.

So sorry Bob!  Tough times for your family as well.  We take what comes but it's not fun.  Since we had to travel here at least retirement allows flexibility.  I can do my side gig from anywhere.  Godspeed Bob!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What a mess that must be. Yikes. 

41 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Ha, for many on here the PR forum is like venturing into the dark web.  You do have to have pretty thick skin over there

Yeah, it's definitely not for weak-willed or thin-skinned folks.  Some end up leaving because they can't take it and end up melting.  

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

I just learned today that where I work, Juneteenth is going to become a work holiday starting in June, 2021.

I believe President Trump said he would support this during the campaign and some states have enacted it as state level holiday this year.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Paid $1.71/gal for a heating oil delivery yesterday. How does that compare to SNE?

Paid $1.42/gal on 11/3, but I see the local place I get mine is up to $1.65 now

1 hour ago, klw said:

I believe President Trump said he would support this during the campaign and some states have enacted it as state level holiday this year.

Surprise the little fella hasn't claimed responsibility for something that the states governors did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

150,000+ today and counting.  1088 deaths today and counting.  Thanksgiving in 2 weeks.  Terrible

It’s unfortunate that the fed govt has given up. It’s down to the states and the local level to do what they can but some areas seem like they are fighting a forest fire with an extinguisher. It is what it is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Wife had to scold two people on two different flights for setting off in flight bathroom smoke alarm due to vaping. Wtf. How hard up can you be?

They’re lucky they weren’t arrested when they landed.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Ruin the economy, and then you are dependent on Government.  That sounds...like the direction the globe is headed. What an opportunity for a Reset of Capitalism . I'm being cynical and somewhat tongue in cheek ..but the fact remains their is tremendous opportunity 

Free market fundamentalism is dead.  Although I don't think Covid killed it.  Trump killed it back in 2016.  It's actually kind of refreshing to not have to hear about the trickle-down benefits of a capital gains tax cut.  Nobody buys that nonsense anymore.