• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    StormfanaticInd
    Newest Member
    StormfanaticInd

Hurricane Isaias

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Kevin is fine, said he guessed 65 in gusts. No power. 

What's the reduction factor on that? 50-55? The STEM hit 52mph on top of the school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

yeah pretty meh here so far

Wow been cranking good now for a couple of hours, peak winds just as band approached and now with sun. Its actually pretty crazy out here.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

What's the reduction factor on that? 50-55? The STEM hit 52mph on top of the school.

Haha

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Yeah. Usually subtract like 20%. Similar with snowfall intensity.

• Like 1

Delayed but not denied here.  Branches on my property and larger limbs are down right over the fence. Power has been off and on.  Estimating a couple of gusts near 60.  

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

53kt BDL 

That’s really good for that pit. 

I keep waiting for ORH to get a big one but they have been total weak sauce so far. 41 kt is their max. 

• Like 1

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

70/68 Heavy rain.   Some huge gusts coming through the tree tops.  Still top gust in the apple orchard VP2 is 40mph

I still think most people under-estimate how strong 40mph is with full foliage.  That's pretty solid to get 40mph measured in an apple orchard.  Legit 40s in interior New England is more than enough to take some branches down.

• Like 1

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Hey WIZ, I wasn't going through the 12 pages I fell behind on, what happened with the TOR earlier?

not sure if there were any reports of OTG but I have heard that there is the possibility around Middletown. A friend of mine was there and was in a parking lot and said something strange happened...like a sucking and he looked and leaves and water going up in the air. He said something about some guy getting sucked in and he had to pull him...IDK but another friend said on the news they mentioned something about a possible TOR in the area. Didn't hear anything from the HFD one...although with these winds tough to tell damage from an EF-0 and winds which swirl in these situations. 

Was raining and windy in Boston earlier but very still now

Edit- the rain has now picked up substantially and so has the wind

Winds have been gusting near 30 mph the past hour or so, band of precipitation is still to my west.  Sun was out.  MLCAPE near 1000 j/kg.  Chances are we should get a few hurricane gusts out here in the next few hours.  Storms producing water spouts still south of the Vineyard.  A particular cell south of the Mid Cape is intriguing.  Anyone have the velocity on that cell?

Getting very gusty here. 40-50 maybe? I just go by what Logan is reporting which was 47 mph about 10 minutes ago

Lots of small debris on the road. Waiting to see what that line brings

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

not sure if there were any reports of OTG but I have heard that there is the possibility around Middletown. A friend of mine was there and was in a parking lot and said something strange happened...like a sucking and he looked and leaves and water going up in the air. He said something about some guy getting sucked in and he had to pull him...IDK but another friend said on the news they mentioned something about a possible TOR in the area. Didn't hear anything from the HFD one...although with these winds tough to tell damage from an EF-0 and winds which swirl in these situations. 

okay thanks.  Do you think I have a shot at something in the next few hours?

Just now, dendrite said:

Yeah 50mph feels absolutely crazy in the middle of the summer.  As a whole like snow intensities, they are over-estimated. 

If anyone saw a legit 65-70+ gust in foliage dense hardwoods it would look like a tornado ripped through.

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

okay thanks.  Do you think I have a shot at something in the next few hours?

yeah I'd keep an eye on the stuff as it moves towards you. 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I still think most people under-estimate how strong 40mph is with full foliage.  That's pretty solid to get 40mph measured in an apple orchard.  Legit 40s in interior New England is more than enough to take some branches down.

Most people underestimate wind strength and over estimate wind speed. This is because the force of wind is exponential to the speed increase...it’s not a linear increase. 

As well-versed as I am in it over the years, I still find myself over estimating wind speed at times. 

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

quickly clearing in Branford 

It cleared out here, but suddenly it clouded up and now it’s gusting like hell again. I thought we were done with this.