Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Back broken.

I can tell we’ve turned a corner with daylight too, as June/July we usually only decouple down to whatever the previous afternoon’s mixed out dew point was.  If the dew bottomed out at 4pm at 58F, that’s usually what the low temp will be the next morning, 58F and foggy. 

Now though, we are starting to get longer nights and this week we started beating the afternoon minimum dew by 3-5F.  Like yesterday I think it was 53F and the min was 49F this morning and I think the past 3-4 nights have all gone a bit lower than our lowest afternoon dew reading. 

3 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Saw the sun for about 1it's worse. Not a great day for the lake party where everyone was supposed to be in the water while the band played.  Up in Worcester now and it's just wind and darkness.

Great day for yard work. We had sun until like 1000 then in and out and had a good 2 hours this afternoon of partly cloudy, warm enough to clean the pool. Now outside at a cookout in Thompson,  cloudy, windy, cool. Outside movie theater is set up

Frye Island is extremely dusty right now... A lap around the island gives you a thin layer of silt all over the car and the roadside vegetation is covered in a powdery coating.

All the same, it turned into a pretty nice evening.  Sun mostly out by about 230 and warmed up to mid 70s.  Water about that too.

20200815_174454_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Angus said:

Have a friend who just bought a place out there. You have a place there?

Would be nice but no.  Some fam has been renting the same place every August for 30+ years.  Great spot to relax, definitely on the quiet side at night.  The lake speaks for itself of course, fishing/boating/swimming, and there are lots of sandy public beach areas facing all directions.  On any given day you might rather be on one side or another.   Definitely worth visiting, minor deduction for being inaccessible after 10/31.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:45 AM, klw said:

52f here.  A couple of days ago it felt like maybe the back of summer had been broken.  It definitely seems that way now.  Chamber weather for days to come.  Soon the leaves will need to be peeped at, I will get in a panic to get outdoor chores down prior to the freeze up, the GFS will flip from having a 942 hurricane at the end of every run to having a blizzard coming just inside the benchmark to finish each cycle, and someone will set up a thread for this year's Grinch storm.

Nice to see you other "back broken" folks  joining the party.

12 hours ago, dendrite said:

66° and overcast with a stiff breeze. Was sunny and calm when I went out an hour ago. You can see the NE flow and overcast rapidly spreading SW on vis.

Took until early afternoon for sun to break out as the overcast hung on but slowly was moving off to the SW, Still a great day on the lake even though.

Pontoon.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radarman said:

Frye Island is extremely dusty right now... A lap around the island gives you a thin layer of silt all over the car and the roadside vegetation is covered in a powdery coating.

All the same, it turned into a pretty nice evening.  Sun mostly out by about 230 and warmed up to mid 70s.  Water about that too.

20200815_174454_HDR.jpg

I was out there this afternoon by Frye island around 1, Didn't know you were there.

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Read the tweet thread by NWS NYC I posted.  Yes salt air blown in by Izzy and no rain to wash it off.

I just had no idea salt was that damaging to vegetation. 

Google says using salt is a great way to kill a tree if you need to, I guess this clears up why:

"Using salt is an effective way to kill a tree. The sodium in salt will prevent a tree's flow of potassium and magnesium, both of which are vital ingredients in the making of chlorophyll. The lack of chlorophyll will eventually kill the tree."

• Like 1

I think the pattern has shifted uniquely and unusually into a highly amplified Pnap pattern at an extreme anomalous value… Much more so than summers back being broken this pattern is exaggerating I don’t see how we can justify 100 to 110° over the entire state of California under to 600+ dam means that. I’m only bringing it up because I think we could get into an extended period of oppressive warmth still given the state of all.

that said I also think that we are going to have an early cold snaps followed by early snows in autumn just like we have the last four years since 2015 followed by gradient rich pattern

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I just had no idea salt was that damaging to vegetation. 

Google says using salt is a great way to kill a tree if you need to, I guess this clears up why:

"Using salt is an effective way to kill a tree. The sodium in salt will prevent a tree's flow of potassium and magnesium, both of which are vital ingredients in the making of chlorophyll. The lack of chlorophyll will eventually kill the tree."

That’s one of the reasons the State and town road crews try to reduce salt usage on roads. It damages vegetation including trees. 

• Like 2