Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Big time heat focused in sne Sunday-Tuesday to close out July

weathafella

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Don’t want to get stressed and choke the chickens. 

Mine handle below 0° better than 90°. When they start panting out of control there isn’t a lot we can do unless we bring the worst ones into the basement. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There’s Mediterranean breeds that handle it just fine, but mine are all larger cold-hardy breeds. Their preferred temps are probably 55-75. 

I figured those massive chicken farms down south handle it,  but maybe they are accustomed to it?

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I figured those massive chicken farms down south handle it,  but maybe they are accustomed to it?

I don't think those mass production farms care in the least about chicken comfort.... I bet more die from heat and poor conditions than we know.  They just keep churning them out.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ACCATT (all cold chicken all the time)

78F/61 attm.      Warm day incoming. 

82/65.   

Heat distribution this summer has been odd.    The Pioneer Valley  can often do hot with the best of them,  but this year there have been a lot of areas north, south and east of here that have had much more impressive temperatures.  Maybe @ORH_wxman or one of the other mets has a good explanation? 

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Couldn't you put a little kiddie pool in their coop with cold water?

Tried that. They’re terrified of it. We just water it down from time to time and they dig holes and lay in them to cool off. I doubled my covered portion of my run last fall and the bamboo has gone wild so there’s a lot more shade in there than previous years. Even that one 90+ day we had there wasn’t a lot of panting. 2018 was a stressful stretch...especially with the heat and dew combo around the 4th. 
257E4FAB-6F01-49F5-B3CC-85093111A51F.jpeg

Almost totally clear now. 83.2/66

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Tried that. They’re terrified of it. We just water it down from time to time and they dig holes and lay in them to cool off. I doubled my covered portion of my run last fall and the bamboo has gone wild so there’s a lot more shade in there than previous years. Even that one 90+ day we had there wasn’t a lot of panting. 2018 was a stressful stretch...especially with the heat and dew combo around the 4th. 
257E4FAB-6F01-49F5-B3CC-85093111A51F.jpeg

Almost totally clear now. 83.2/66

What’s the name of your chicken business?  I’m assuming they’re more than pets....