• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Big time heat focused in sne Sunday-Tuesday to close out July

weathafella

Not a convincing 90 by 9'er out there...but, the 10 after 10 does suggest a 97 .. 98ness when allowing for 10+ 2 for d-slope adiabatic drying and compression... 

Hey, that looks like MOS.

Basically... 98/64 ...  meh...  it's enough to miserable...and bootleg a record for stuffing a weak part of that calendar but it's like a participation trophy -

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

HYA has my eye though. They have been leading the torch parade, but given CHH near 90...maybe it is right.

Posted MADIS above....I'm betting they are running about 2F too warm. Seems their normal baseline was around 1F....but they are down around 3F these days.

yeah...the other thing is that 98 F is within the margin of tech -error/expectation...and when 98 is also ubiquitous, said error may also become ubiquitous/emerge in greater numerical results; and thus, we may all be lied to...and believe it by substantiation power of multitude, which will be sufficient for the drama and excitement!  

Just now, dendrite said:

I wonder if something happened to coastal obs last September on MADIS. PWM has a similar drift. I think there's some MADIS error there.

We'll have to check all the other ones and see if there's a pattern.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Posted MADIS above....I'm betting they are running about 2F too warm. Seems their normal baseline was around 1F....but they are down around 3F these days.

Phil actually asked for that link a few days ago. I never paid attention to HYA....but they seem a bit warm. Many stations around there are a few cooler. Obviously proximity to water matters and a west wind at HYA s down the center of the Cape there...but it seems a little warm.

Here's several others.....I don't see a pattern on these ones. Some of the MA ones got larger error bars starting in late summer 2019...kind of went haywire, but they don't have a pattern of discernible drift. BVY had kind of a step-change to cooler around then.

KBVY_MADIS.png

KCQX_MADIS.png

KGHG_MADIS.png

KPSM_MADIS.png

KPVC_MADIS.png

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Phil actually asked for that link a few days ago. I never paid attention to HYA....but they seem a bit warm. Many stations around there are a few cooler. Obviously proximity to water matters and a west wind at HYA s down the center of the Cape there...but it seems a little warm.

I don't take MADIS at face value, but I look for noticeable drift from a typical baseline. So if that station's baseline is normally, say, 1F warm....I assume that is normal and due to non-instrumental factors.

But when it goes from like 1F to 3F on a steady drift, that's when it deserves attention. KBOS was a perfect example from 2018 until earlier this year...it had just a steady deterioration, so it was a red flag. Sometimes a "step change" can be because of other mesonets coming online...but other times it can be due to some big change at the airport (ala SEA-TAC)....so those require a little more caution when assuming something might be amiss.

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

So Logan's 90 at 10:30-ish...

any rounding pettiness notwithstanding -

Figure there's 6 more hours of plausible temp rise - assuming we don't taint the skies like yesterday...  seems MOS is aiming well -

89/67 at 11a. WSW 10kt. Hot but we need to do better than that for 100°. Get that wind veered another 20-30° and crank it up.