• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

Hot day working in the yard. But I have to say, coming into the house with the new AC system was pretty nice. The best part is that it's mostly imperceptible since it runs so quietly but gets the job done. The indoor wall units will eventually just become part of the background but the first couple days they looked a little awkward given that our rooms are fairly small. Glad we made the investment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You want to be up at airport height or where mreaves is.  Montpelier itself is a bit of a low spot.  I think MPV is about 400-500ft higher.

Underhill is very snowy but it’s pretty sleepy.  I don’t get the idea you want that vibe where everything closes early and you can’t walk anywhere.  It’s really a bedroom community for Burlington... but it does get a lot of snow.  The CoCoRAHS site’s there are real snowy.

Montpelier itself is a decent CAD spot though. The fields up around KMPV can torch bare and downtown will still hold snow.  You can get outside of town into some pretty snowy terrain pretty quickly. Worcester and Middlesex have decent elevation in spots and you can be 10-15 minutes to the State House. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You want to be up at airport height or where mreaves is.  Montpelier itself is a bit of a low spot.  I think MPV is about 400-500ft higher.

Underhill is very snowy but it’s pretty sleepy.  I don’t get the idea you want that vibe where everything closes early and you can’t walk anywhere.  It’s really a bedroom community for Burlington... but it does get a lot of snow.  The CoCoRAHS site’s there are real snowy.

What about Stowe?

6 minutes ago, Angus said:

Looking at the snow arch in the pictures, the idea crossed my mind....yup, it collasped and luckily the person was only hurt not killed.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/19/metro/quincy-man-injured-when-arch-snow-falls-new-hampshire-mountain/

Been in Iceland and Norway and watched people stand under melting glaciers and just shook my head.

Pretty much guaranteed the guy gets a bill for the rescue.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Angus said:

Looking at the snow arch in the pictures, the idea crossed my mind....yup, it collasped and luckily the person was only hurt not killed.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/19/metro/quincy-man-injured-when-arch-snow-falls-new-hampshire-mountain/

Been in Iceland and Norway and watched people stand under melting glaciers and just shook my head.

My friend did that at Tuckermans one year, he wanted someone to take a photo of the both of us under the glacier, I said no thanks and took his picture.

Holy shit. Hiked passed it yesterday, thinking how dumb it would be if someone went under it. It was quite impressive and larger than my pic made it seem

Kind of weird question, but I know there are some medical folks on this forum so here it goes.

My employer changed insurance providers on July 1, and I found out today, that my (not cheap) insurance, inexplicably does not cover a daily medication I’ve been taking for over 2 years, now does it cover an of the like medications that may be prescribed as an alternative.

A 30 day supply was costing me a couple bucks per fill and now will shoot up to like $88 dollars retail. They gave me a “ one time” discount code today that brought the price down to 25 bucks, but that doesn’t seem like something I can count on moving forward.

Are my only options either stop taking the med or shell out nearly $100 bucks every month?

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Kind of weird question, but I know there are some medical folks on this forum so here it goes.

My employer changed insurance providers on July 1, and I found out today, that my (not cheap) insurance, inexplicably does not cover a daily medication I’ve been taking for over 2 years, now does it cover an of the like medications that may be prescribed as an alternative.

A 30 day supply was costing me a couple bucks per fill and now will shoot up to like $88 dollars retail. They gave me a “ one time” discount code today that brought the price down to 25 bucks, but that doesn’t seem like something I can count on moving forward.

Are my only options either stop taking the med or shell out nearly $100 bucks every month?

Not sure if you have a typo in there because it’s hard to read, but it sounds like they will cover a generic brand even if they aren’t covering the premium name brand? That’s not uncommon. If not, what you can do sometimes is call the insurance company and appeal or challenge them for not covering any of the options, and most of the time they will relent and cover it. You may have to speak to a supervisor if the person you are talking to is useless...sometimes you may need to go another rung up from first supervisor. My mother works for a large pharma company and is familiar with how the insurance companies work...and this is a ploy she taught me that has worked for me a couple times already. We had to put our first son on a prescription formula for a while and they initially claimed it wasn’t covered, but it really should have been. We called and appealed and they were like “oh you’re right, we will cover that”.  

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not sure if you have a typo in there because it’s hard to read, but it sounds like they will cover a generic brand even if they aren’t covering the premium name brand? That’s not uncommon. If not, what you can do sometimes is call the insurance company and appeal or challenge them for not covering any of the options, and most of the time they will relent and cover it. You may have to speak to a supervisor if the person you are talking to is useless...sometimes you may need to go another rung up from first supervisor. My mother works for a large pharma company and is familiar with how the insurance companies work...and this is a ploy she taught me that has worked for me a couple times already. We had to put our first son on a prescription formula for a while and they initially claimed it wasn’t covered, but it really should have been. We called and appealed and they were like “oh you’re right, we will cover that”.  

Sorry I meant to type nor*. I didn’t have much time to look into it today as I was kind of caught off guard by the price, but it looks like they don’t cover any medication similar to what I take.

Im going to give them a call for sure, thanks for the tip.

Aggravating that you pay so much for insurance and they don’t cover a pretty basic medication? Sucks.

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sorry I meant to type nor*. I didn’t have much time to look into it today as I was kind of caught off guard by the price, but it looks like they don’t cover any medication similar to what I take.

Aggravating that you pay so much for insurance and they don’t cover a pretty basic medication? Sucks.

Ask your insurance company if they can place an exemption for you for non formulary medication. If not,Call your Dr and have them change your medication to generic

8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, you're definitely going to have to work something out with them because normally you would see a generic brand at least offered/covered on insurance.  You may also want to contact the drug company that makes your medicine and explain to them your drug and generic are not covered on your plan and to see if they can give a discount.

I think most employees covered by insurance automatically have to accept generic if it’s available.   Call the insurance company and find out your options.  Then call your doctor and have that person work with you.  Huge numbers of folks take medicine daily.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I think most employees covered by insurance automatically have to accept generic if it’s available.   Call the insurance company and find out your options.  Then call your doctor and have that person work with you.  Huge numbers of folks take medicine daily.

Yeah I have no problem taking whatever, but none of it is covered. That’s the problem. I put a call in to my doctor to discuss. 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Only 554 active cases in NH as of yesterday and 1/5 of those were in Goffstown which I assume is a nursing home.

Vermont has had only 2 COVID related deaths since May 15th.... and is the only state in the Nation with 0 deaths in the past 30 days.

The only two deaths in the past two months were on May 24th and June 15th.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:
4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:
Only 1 reported death in Mass.  Percent positive still down near 1.6-1.7%.  

Anyone know what those little brown beetles are that are everywhere right now? Last year they were horrible. This year not as bad but super annoying. The size of Japanese beetles. 

Lots of those beetles here too

Oriental beetles

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:
Only 1 reported death in Mass.  Percent positive still down near 1.6-1.7%.  

Anyone know what those little brown beetles are that are everywhere right now? Last year they were horrible. This year not as bad but super annoying. The size of Japanese beetles. 

Lots of those beetles here too

Are these the big heavy guys throwing themselves against my screen doors at night going towards the light?  Slow but heavy.