Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter 2020

George BM

10 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Its interesting in York,Pa Dallastown public school district they are currently offering the option for families for 100% in person or online . This according to my brother who lives in Southern York county.  Comparing cases of covid to Carroll county... York county has  roughly double the cases . Logistically if they can pull it off why can't other counties but who knows .

have you sat in on any carroll county board of ed calls? they haven't made a decision yet, have they? each county can do what they want, per yesterdays Hogan presser. So, its possible you could still get a hybrid version to start the year. 

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

They haven't made a definitive decision yet but word is from someone I know that's a 12 month employee is they probably will scrap there original option of in class 100% or hybrid option especially for highschool and middle age . Word is that Carroll doesn't want any negative media attention for being the only county in the area offering inclass option.  Elementary might still do a hybrid I'm hearing. 

IMO thats stupid. who gives a shit what the media may say, do what is best for the county based on the numbers. not on the majority of other counties. so dumb.

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Unfortunately I think liability is always a concern in this day and age and like NWBaltimorewx said ...its like the snow cancellations. They wait to see what the other is doing . Decisions should be in each county with input from parents,  students, teachers, faculty imo.

Oh yeah, I get it. Just think its stupid. I just keep telling myself this isn't forever. And while it sucks now, this too shall pass. 

30 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

They haven't made a definitive decision yet but word is from someone I know that's a 12 month employee is they probably will scrap there original option of in class 100% or hybrid option especially for highschool and middle age . Word is that Carroll doesn't want any negative media attention for being the only county in the area offering inclass option.  Elementary might still do a hybrid I'm hearing. 

Frederick Co is still hanging. Although seeing FB posts this past week from some of the BOE members they are not comfortable with opening at all. BOE meeting is next week on the 29th. I think Fred and Carroll are the two last systems in the DC/Balt area that have yet to make a decision. And yes Liability is what is being asked about from the Board. One of the BOE members lives in my neighborhood and she is for 100% distance learning. And so is the President of the BOE and said as much on a FB post. Typical for Fred Co they even wait until the last minute to call a snow day. 

22 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Unfortunately I think liability is always a concern in this day and age and like NWBaltimorewx said ...its like the snow cancellations. They wait to see what the other is doing . Decisions should be in each county with input from parents,  students, teachers, faculty imo.

In the Fairfax seven-hour School Board meeting the Superintendent kept talking about how a decent percentage of teachers were from another county, so their decisions affect the plans.  It does end up being a regional-type decision.

Calvert's current proposal (not final yet) for schools is having parents choose the option of either 2 days a week, or 100% online. We strongly support 100% in person school, but since that's not an option we'll take whatever we can get, so 2 days a week it is. Most of the parents, bus drivers and contractors associated with the school want in person- the main pushback is coming from the teachers union. The county seems to be backpedaling now in favor of 100% online, so we're worried we're going to lose even the 2 days a week. I wrote a letter to the Calvert County board of education (as did many others), but most parents pleas seem to fall on deaf ears. Last spring's online learning was a complete disaster and I see nothing to indicate it will be any better this time.

The most infuriating thing I saw was a poll from the Calvert Education Association, which showed that 95% of teachers in this county do not want to even come into an empty school to record lessons... seriously!? 

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I told you the teacher’s unions would push hard to keep schools closed, and, as I recall, you stridently denied that would happen. Teachers wanted to be back in the classroom “more than anything” was part of the response, I believe. 

Things have changed. The current trajectory of covid is not the same. Additionally districts have indicated they will be unable to fully meet necessary safety protocols. And lastly districts have failed to meet adequate accomodations for at risk teachers, basically telling them they can resign, go on unpaid leave, or go back to work.  

May own personal feelings have changed so it doesn’t shock me as a whole the message did as well.  2 months ago I was confident we could figure out how to return safely in September. And I was confident we would and I was looking forward to it. But after months of districts rejecting necessary measures due to cost and the resurgence of covid I am no longer as supportive.  

This isn’t complicated. MSDE issued guidance months ago about how openings needed to happen and the metrics to determine. And just like everything else due to cost and simple frustrating people were pushing to open without meeting the metrics or using the necessary precautions. That’s exactly how we got in this current mess in the first place!

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Sounds like a mess at your house .Are your " Meetings " actually you playing video games :whistle:

I know Fortnite is a video game.  What's a fortnite skin ? 

If you’re really curious, and it hasn’t been answered yet, a fortnite skin changes the way your character, and their weapons look. It does nothing else but cosmetically change your character. You don’t get a single advantage over anyone else. Kids eat those thing up like candy, maybe even more than candy. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Things have changed. The current trajectory of covid is not the same. Additionally districts have indicated they will be unable to fully meet necessary safety protocols. And lastly districts have failed to meet adequate accomodations for at risk teachers, basically telling them they can resign, go on unpaid leave, or go back to work.  

May own personal feelings have changed so it doesn’t shock me as a whole the message did as well.  2 months ago I was confident we could figure out how to return safely in September. And I was confident we would and I was looking forward to it. But after months of districts rejecting necessary measures due to cost and the resurgence of covid I am no longer as supportive.  

This isn’t complicated. MSDE issued guidance months ago about how openings needed to happen and the metrics to determine. And just like everything else due to cost and simple frustrating people were pushing to open without meeting the metrics or using the necessary precautions. That’s exactly how we got in this current mess in the first place!

So glad we opted completely out of the school system. What a sh*tshow.

14 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The #StayAtHome crowd doesn’t care. 

I’m an admin of the current virtual summer program.  I’ve spent many hours connecting our ESOL translators with parents who don’t speak English. I’ve spend hours on tech issues and finding students devices and getting them free internet. I’ve given directions to our food distribution centers.  Just because I don’t have a solution to every problem it’s ignorant of you to assume I don’t care! 

I’m well aware that distance learning is woefully inadequate. I said as much here recently. But I’m managing dozens of people and some of them (like me) have health issues. Diabetes, heart/lung disease, cancer survivors, a couple are over 65.  I am not solving one problem by sacrificing some of them.  So far we have had a couple students and a parent that I know of diagnosed with covid. Had they been in buildings...

15 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

First...oh,  man, that sucks about Crohn's.  And I can empathize, because I've had a history of colitis myself (going back to when I was about 11-12).  Ugh!  I've had enough of those endoscopy tests that I can almost have a drinking game with that God-awful nasty prep solution you have to drink the night before!!  I can deal with an all-liquid diet for a day, and can deal with the procedure itself (they knock you out for it anyhow).  But in the number of times I've had to go through this, I've *never* gotten used to drinking the gallon of that metallic salt flavored s*it!! :lol:

The prep drink is awful.  I had a minor surgical procedure a couple months ago related to Crohns complications. That’s why I disappeared for a while.  

I know I’m biased. I am in an at risk group. That makes my impact calculus different than some others.  But the percent of high risk workers in education makes it impossible to staff the buildings without risking those groups. 

18 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So glad we opted completely out of the school system. What a sh*tshow.

It’s hard to blame the school system for the failure of society at large.  In order to open schools you needed to get a) transmission down to an extremely low level, b) have rapid testing results (like China), and c) have enough contact tracers to track down contacts.  In the northeast we’ve mostly succeeded at A, and in some places (MA, DC, VT, NY) at C but not really at B.  You really need to have all 3 to open up safely. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

It’s hard to blame the school system for the failure of society at large.  In order to open schools you needed to get a) transmission down to an extremely low level, b) have rapid testing results (like China), and c) have enough contact tracers to track down contacts.  In the northeast we’ve mostly succeeded at A, and in some places (MA, DC, VT, NY) at B, but not really at C.  You really need to have all 3 to open up safely. 

I'm not blaming the schools. I am not blaming anyone in particular. I am just noting it's going to be an unmitigated disaster for the kids, and I am glad to not be a part of it. 

I recommend any families that have the means to homeschool to consider doing so. It removes so much of the uncertainty that is out there right now.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I'm not blaming the schools. I am not blaming anyone in particular. I am just noting it's going to be an unmitigated disaster for the kids, and I am glad to not be a part of it. 

I recommend any families that have the means to homeschool to consider doing so. It removes so much of the uncertainty that is out there right now.

On that point, to each his own.  As a teacher I only feel qualified to expertly teach my level of course (high school physics).  If all of a sudden I’m trying to teach world history or reading to a kindergarten student I don’t think I’d do a great job. 

41 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m an admin of the current virtual summer program.  I’ve spent many hours connecting our ESOL translators with parents who don’t speak English. I’ve spend hours on tech issues and finding students devices and getting them free internet. I’ve given directions to our food distribution centers.  Just because I don’t have a solution to every problem it’s ignorant of you to assume I don’t care! 

I’m well aware that distance learning is woefully inadequate. I said as much here recently. But I’m managing dozens of people and some of them (like me) have health issues. Diabetes, heart/lung disease, cancer survivors, a couple are over 65.  I am not solving one problem by sacrificing some of them.  So far we have had a couple students and a parent that I know of diagnosed with covid. Had they been in buildings...

thanks for your insight and views, PSU. 

23 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

On that point, to each his own.  As a teacher I only feel qualified to expertly teach my level of course (high school physics).  If all of a sudden I’m trying to teach world history or reading to a kindergarten student I don’t think I’d do a great job. 

to be fair, teaching kindergarteners isn't hard. while virtual learning sucks as a whole, we had a rather simple time teaching first grade stuff. on to second now for the fall.

Phineas has a point that for some, its an easy decision. My family is incredibly lucky, and I have said it many times, as we can both work from home without issue. haven't missed paychecks, bills are getting paid. however, i have the empathy to feel for others, so while virtual learning won't be horrible for us, it will be for many others and both county and state governments need to step in and help with the load. i know a lot has been done since spring to now, but there will still be problems. and there is no easy decision, unless you go the homeschooling altogether route, as many are. One of my nearest and dearest friends will be without a job because school is going virtual. she works with special needs kids and without in-class time, she cannot do anything to help them virtually and the county will no longer pay her. the county has their own special-needs plan in place that eliminates her position all together. it sucks all around, for many. 

But yes, to each their own. Everyone's level of risk is different, they know what's best for their family and will plan for that. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

One of the reasons we moved down here was for the good school systems- now that that’s gone, the idea of moving away permanently to somewhere cheaper is definitely on the table. I’m not seeing this being resolved at all this academic year.

I can say that this situation has caused numerous mental health issues for our oldest son (and I’m sure many other children), but the system doesn’t care.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

The prep drink is awful.  I had a minor surgical procedure a couple months ago related to Crohns complications. That’s why I disappeared for a while.  

I know I’m biased. I am in an at risk group. That makes my impact calculus different than some others.  But the percent of high risk workers in education makes it impossible to staff the buildings without risking those groups. 

I am in at at risk group also and I am not an employee of the local school system. So you are not the only one biased. My daughters themselves have said they want to keep me safe and from getting sick. They will do what it takes to make sure I am here for them. 

• Like 2

We were given a schedule to show how online could work for the first quarter, With high school for example: it starts at 9am with first block, they give you a 10 minute advisory just before, in between blocks there are 10 minutes, instead of the usual 5 Like during in person where you’d have to walk to your other class, lunch is still 30 minutes, i guess you get a 30 minute study hall time(?) and then final block of the day.

• Like 1

Just now, losetoa6 said:

I swore I saw an article saying like 90% of Native Americans liked the name and weren't offended at all .

i believe i read the same. they didn't change it for any set of people though, they did it because they were losing money. 

thats all that matters... the money. sigh.

19 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Its interesting in York,Pa Dallastown public school district they are currently offering the option for families for 100% in person or online . This according to my brother who lives in Southern York county.  Comparing cases of covid to Carroll county... York county has  roughly double the cases . Logistically if they can pull it off why can't other counties but who knows .

Let’s see if they actually pull it off or if they end up with emergency closings and have to pull the plug within a few weeks!  Trust me if some places open and nothing goes wrong I will admit it was the right choice and others should open, assuming they have similar local covid metrics. I’m just skeptical that’s all. 

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Yup, that prep drink is disgusting...and the "flavor packs" don't help!!  I'm sorry to hear you had to go through surgery for Crohn's, I have heard that's somewhat common for the condition.

You may be biased by your own personal situation...everyone is of course.  But that's not a bad thing.  It's when others cannot even try to understand the larger picture here.  While personal choice is something we pretty well can all agree on, fact is that a virus doesn't give a damn (any more than it cares about one's politics).  If it were a situation where you could take a "risk" without doing anything to anyone else, that would be different.  That's not the case with this.  And like I said, I know enough people, family and friends, who have varying degrees of potentially at-risk conditions.  So I'm biased as well in my view on the whole going back to school or re-opening stuff.

I can see how the more remote counties in MD would be better able to "re-open" or even have back to in-person school this fall to whatever extent.  I don't have any issue with that, if it's done safely and in a reasonable manner.  The areas near DC and Baltimore are a totally different situation.  Thus, different decisions, depending on the county (and number of cases, how under control it is, etc.).

Oh, and hello there, @mappy and @Mrs.J!  I hope you are both well!  Haven't been in here for awhile, just trying to survive the God-awful heat!  I don't even feel like getting out on my bike with this.  But I am still taking photos when walking about now and then.  I'll see if I can post a few when I have a chance for everyone!

• Like 3

Looking forward to NFL football. No preseason games. About time.

What an embarrassment of riches the Ravens have at running back- Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards, Justice Hill, and now Dobbins. Not to mention Jackson. Assuming they can fill the void left by Yanda, the OL should be effective again.

Just now, CAPE said:

Looking forward to NFL football. No preseason games. About time.

What an embarrassment of riches the Ravens have at running back- Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards, Justice Hill, and now Dobbins. Not to mention Jackson. Assuming they can fill the void left by Yanda, the OL should be effective again.

Are they starting the season this year, at least on time?  I haven't heard how they'll manage that...or the NBA or NHL, for that matter.  Is it going to be similar to baseball, with no real crowds, etc.?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic