Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter 2020

George BM

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Are they starting the season this year, at least on time?  I haven't heard how they'll manage that...or the NBA or NHL, for that matter.  Is it going to be similar to baseball, with no real crowds, etc.?

Little if any fans in the stands. And on time as of now. With no preseason, they will have extra time to prepare as the usual OTAs were cancelled.

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Oh, and hello there, @mappy and @Mrs.J!  I hope you are both well!  Haven't been in here for awhile, just trying to survive the God-awful heat!  I don't even feel like getting out on my bike with this.  But I am still taking photos when walking about now and then.  I'll see if I can post a few when I have a chance for everyone!

You are in the same place I am in. This heat has been too hot for me to even cook and enjoy it. Dinner tonight was leftover Cuban pork butt with some BBQ sauce. The rest of the family is doing Quesadillas. I did the butt in the crock pot I do not even want to turn on the oven. Broke down the other night and told Mr. J it was too hot to cook and we were ordering pizza. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.J said:

You are in the same place I am in. This heat has been too hot for me to even cook and enjoy it. Dinner tonight was leftover Cuban pork butt with some BBQ sauce. The rest of the family is doing Quesadillas. I did the butt in the crock pot I do not even want to turn on the oven. Broke down the other night and told Mr. J it was too hot to cook and we were ordering pizza. 

Hell, I am always up for ordering a good pizza! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Sounds like a mess at your house .Are your " Meetings " actually you playing video games :whistle:

I know Fortnite is a video game.  What's a fortnite skin ? 

Okay so fortnite skins are the bane of my existence.. They are basically costumes that your player can wear and cost about $10 a piece.. some are rare and limited release.  So they represent somewhat of a status symbol for the kids.  You can actually sell your account for thousands of dollars based on how many skins you have.  

In the last 2 years I have cancelled 6 debit cards and 4 credit cards just to get my kids and women child wife to stop buying these things.. 

Eventually I gave up and started moonlighting to pay for them!

My "meetings" are probably just as useless as the video games.  I write code.. so naturally that means that I spend half of my time at work in meetings explaining to non technical people what their program can and can't do. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Okay so fortnite skins are the bane of my existence.. They are basically costumes that your player can wear and cost about $10 a piece.. some are rare and limited release.  So they represent somewhat of a status symbol for the kids.  You can actually sell your account for thousands of dollars based on how many skins you have.  

In the last 2 years I have cancelled 6 debit cards and 4 credit cards just to get my kids and women child wife to stop buying these things.. 

Eventually I gave up and started moonlighting to pay for them!

My "meetings" are probably just as useless as the video games.  I write code.. so naturally that means that I spend half of my time at work in meetings explaining to non technical people what their program can and can't do. 

Mr J works for a local video game company as an animator. And we are good family friends with another couple who work there and the husband is a programmer. I did some programming in college. Wanted to throw the monitor across the room. I am a perfectionist but searching through lines of code for a tiny error just frustrates me. I applauds those who do it and enjoy it. 

14 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Oh, and hello there, @mappy and @Mrs.J!  I hope you are both well!  Haven't been in here for awhile, just trying to survive the God-awful heat!  I don't even feel like getting out on my bike with this.  But I am still taking photos when walking about now and then.  I'll see if I can post a few when I have a chance for everyone!

hi friend! hope you are well too -- doing our best here!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Well, opposite of @WxUSAF, just tested + for covid.  Had a minor headache the last few days and a stuffy nose, went in to get tested just to be safe because I have regular exposure to someone who is immunocompromised.  

Damn, dude. Sorry to hear that and hope your case is mild compared to others. Stay safe and get better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

Well, opposite of @WxUSAF, just tested + for covid.  Had a minor headache the last few days and a stuffy nose, went in to get tested just to be safe because I have regular exposure to someone who is immunocompromised.  

Get well soon! 

15 minutes ago, H2O said:

Damn, dude. Sorry to hear that and hope your case is mild compared to others. Stay safe and get better

*knocks on wood*, it seems to be.  I wouldn’t even consider my symptoms to really even cross the threshold of a mild cold.  Only reason I got tested like I said was proximity to someone vulnerable. 

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

sorry to hear, feel better and hope symptoms stay mild!

On 7/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, losetoa6 said:

I swore I saw an article saying like 90% of Native Americans liked the name and weren't offended at all . Fans no doubt will still wear the old skins garb..( In there living rm. Probably this season)

Been a skins fan my entire life. Used to be totally against the name change,but really couldn't care anymore either way. The way Snyder has ruined the franchise,I'm really not that passionate about the team anymore.  15 years ago I would go to 4 or 5 home games each season and made sure to watch every game. Now I might watch a couple games a year on TV. Really sad how far they have fallen since there Glory days when I was a Kid.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:39 PM, losetoa6 said:

I swore I saw an article saying like 90% of Native Americans liked the name and weren't offended at all . Fans no doubt will still wear the old skins garb..( In there living rm. Probably this season)

NY Times said this in a recent piece, and I’d like to know who in the world they polled, because my wife is half Native American and she’s always found the team name deeply offensive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I think the article was in the Washington post a while back.  I just remember someone providing a link and  i read it.  As far as polls ...I have no idea . Imo.. polls are a racket in general. 

It was the WP yes.

Polls conducted since then have produced different results. Ofc you are talking about an extremely small segment of the population, and for those who live on reservations, there are limited means by which to contact them and obtain useful data. I just take a step back, "forget" the abhorrent history wrt treatment of native Americans, and think of it like this- would Yellowskins be acceptable for a team name? How about Blackskins? Whiteskins? How about Crackers? Don't think so. Could you imagine addressing a native American by saying, Yo, Redskin!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DCTeacherman said:

*knocks on wood*, it seems to be.  I wouldn’t even consider my symptoms to really even cross the threshold of a mild cold.  Only reason I got tested like I said was proximity to someone vulnerable. 

Were the headache and congestion the only symptoms that you had? No fever? Tiredness? 

42 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Were the headache and congestion the only symptoms that you had? No fever? Tiredness? 

Yeah pretty much, I was *maybe* a little more tired than usual yesterday but I still ran 5 miles in the 85 degree soup air and didn’t feel terrible. None of it was/is very severe at all.  I usually get at least 1-2 colds every year that are way worse than this.  

**knocks on wood**

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah pretty much, I was *maybe* a little more tired than usual yesterday but I still ran 5 miles in the 85 degree soup air and didn’t feel terrible. None of it was/is very severe at all.  I usually get at least 1-2 colds every year that are way worse than this.  

**knocks on wood**

I hope it stays mild for you, and glad that you got tested.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Talk about "mega triggered"- look at how fast you hopped in here when I posted about the name change. If I was bored I could have counted down the minutes. lol.  You did the same thing yesterday. 

The only thing that gets you into drive-by mode quicker these days is talk about the COVID "silliness".

I am in MD this week. I will be back in NH soon and be bored of this all. Hang tight.

Drinking a 120 min tonight though. :) 

Just now, PhineasC said:

I am in MD this week. I will be back in NH soon and be bored of this all. Hang tight.

Drinking a 120 min tonight though. :) 

Lucky you. I tried to find one around here. No dice. Next batch is to be brewed sometime in the fall, maybe. No WWS either.

Gotta go to a place like Atlantic Liquors in Rehoboth I guess.

Okay, I’m salty now. This storm is moving my direction, but the edge just keeps disintegrating each time it gets closer, so no progress is being made. The thunder is loud, probably because of that temperature inversion thing or whatever, if it’s late enough for that.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic