Total Members
    Most Online
    Mibuki
    Newest Member
    Mibuki
July Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm simply saying for Carroll county the metrics look really good and  the  option should be given  for families and teachers who want to be back In person 100% to be able to choose that ...and there are many who do ...as well as the 100% online option for those families and teachers who are fearful of returning to face to face . I mentioned the other day the teachers that don't want to return in person can teach the online courses . Seems rational to me .  Many daycares have been open and many private schools are choosing to have in person . Simply my opinion.  Not looking for war here .

That’s a best case scenario but it’s pretty impossible logistically, especially given the time constraints. Hoco was hoping to do that but students and teachers had to commit to a year of online learning regardless of how things (hopefully) improved throughout the school year. And then there was no guarantee they could go back to their home school when this is over. And then there’s obviously matching up the numbers of virtual teachers to virtual students. 

It’s just complicated, and it’s no surprise to me that school systems would take the road of caution. Think about how lame our schools are with snow in this area...

(paging @mattie g)

53 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Hurricane Hunters are looking for engineers. Can I use your resume to apply? 

:weenie:

One topic I teach is flow measurement principles and methods.. there is a technique based on vortex shedding- the Karman Vortex street. Cool stuff, and a phenomena observed on all scales, atmosphere included. There is also a Coriolis Mass flow meter that is very commonly used in industry, and I get to go off on a tangent and explain how the principle of operation has nothing to do with the actual Coriolis effect lol. Easy to incorporate weather into my lessons. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That’s a best case scenario but it’s pretty impossible logistically, especially given the time constraints. Hoco was hoping to do that but students and teachers had to commit to a year of online learning regardless of how things (hopefully) improved throughout the school year. And then there was no guarantee they could go back to their home school when this is over. And then there’s obviously matching up the numbers of virtual teachers to virtual students. 

It’s just complicated, and it’s no surprise to me that school systems would take the road of caution. Think about how lame our schools are with snow in this area...

(paging @mattie g)

I appreciate your opinion on the matter. The implementation for "any" option is going to be complicated for sure . I also wonder how many families will do home schooling because that affects class size for social distancing. These school decisions really should be made on a county by county basis imo . Huge differences in population size and covid cases county to county. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I appreciate your opinion on the matter. The implementation for "any" option is going to be complicated for sure . I also wonder how many families will do home schooling because that affects class size for social distancing. These school decisions really should be made on a county by county basis imo . Huge differences in population size and covid cases county to county. 

I agree, and no one should be surprised when all the “central MD” counties do the same thing. They discuss snow decisions at 4AM so I’d expect nothing different here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I agree, and no one should be surprised when all the “central MD” counties do the same thing. They discuss snow decisions at 4AM so I’d expect nothing different here.

I know you teach in Howard but Balt Co recommending 100% virtual through end of first semester (Jan 2021). Set hours per day of teacher learning, attendance will be taken daily... etc. Hybrid for second semester, or virtual if a family wants... nothing final until State Board of Ed approves of course. 

.CLIMATE...
Aside from the one day last week that broke the streak of
consecutive 90+ F days at Ronald Reagan Washington National
Airport (KDCA), every day this month has had a high of at least
90 F.

As of Tuesday afternoon, that total (for July) was up to 20
days. The most 90+ F days ever in any month in the immediate
Washington, DC, area is 25 days (set in July 2011). Looking at
the pattern over the next 7 days, as well as probabilities for
above normal temperatures from our colleagues at the Climate
Prediction Center (CPC) out to 14 days, it seems it will be very
difficult to NOT break that record.

For the Baltimore, Maryland, and Sterling-Dulles, Virginia,
areas, the record most 90+ F days in a month is 24 days (also
set in July 2011). As of Tuesday afternoon, the Baltimore area
had hit 90 F 17 times so far this month, and the Sterling/Dulles
Virginia area had hit 90 F 15 days.

Temperature records have been kept at what is now KDCA since
1941. The official temperature records for the immediate
Washington, DC, area consist of data from KDCA starting in 1945,
and observations taken in downtown Washington, DC, extend the
region`s period of record back to 1872.

Temperature records for the Baltimore, Maryland, area have been
kept at what is now Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood
Marshall Airport (KBWI) since 1950. Additional temperature
records observed in downtown Baltimore extend the period of
record back to 1872.

Temperature records for the Sterling-Dulles, Virginia, area
have been kept at what is now Washington Dulles International
Airport (KIAD) since 1960.

All climate data are considered preliminary until reviewed by
the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI).

&&

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=LWX&issuedby=LWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

The Washington Metropolitan Region looks to get a good deal more rain in the next few days.

8 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm simply saying for Carroll county the metrics look really good and  the  option should be given  for families and teachers who want to be back In person 100% to be able to choose that ...and there are many who do ...as well as the 100% online option for those families and teachers who are fearful of returning to face to face . I mentioned the other day the teachers that don't want to return in person can teach the online courses . Seems rational to me .  Many daycares have been open and many private schools are choosing to have in person . Simply my opinion.  Not looking for war here .

Everything you are saying makes sense. I don’t begrudge you your thoughts. I totally empathize. I don’t teach in Carroll. I teach in Baltimore City. But I am glad they are starting virtual. We explored the idea of virtual or in person options. Problem was too many teachers fall into the “vulnerable” category to run in person schools (especially with smaller classes) if they opted out. I have asthma and Crohns. Both conditions put me in higher risk. My wife and son have asthma. I’ll admit I’m nervous. Phin can make fun of me and call me names. I don’t care. I have a family and I worry about our health. If that makes me some soft snowflake wuss in his opinion so be it. And metrics do look fairly good in parts of MD now but keep in mind the metrics are delayed. They show us what was happening a week ago really. The fear is with schools open it could spread fast and before we react a teacher with a compromised immune system gets it and... All I can say is I want to teach. I could and have done a lot of things but I choose to teach because it’s what I want to do. And I want to get back to normal. I also want to live a long time and see my children grow up!  That said I also empathize with parents that want their children back at school.  I empathize with students that want to be back with their friends.  This sucks. And I don’t have any definitive answers and I don’t pretend too. But I think we all need to be empathetic towards each other’s positions. 

• Thanks 2

Def not surprised FCPS went to all virtual to start.  They see numbers and don't want to take the chance.  I get it.  I want my kids back to school.  They need it.  But the schools are clearly valuing the health and safety of not only the kids but staff as well.  

Its time we start doing that more and more.  Lives matter more.  Its not about profits or any of that.  We will make due because when faced with challenges human beings can do amazing things.

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Btw I don’t approve the “opening=dead kids” campaign by teachers unions. More kids will die from other diseases and accidents related to schools probably.  The real threat is to staff and the community. I get that’s harder to work in a meme or sign but I don’t like dishonest tactics.  

Agreed. I'm not so worried about my kid, I'm worried about everyone else she would come in contact with. Hope you're well.

4 hours ago, H2O said:

Def not surprised FCPS went to all virtual to start.  They see numbers and don't want to take the chance.  I get it.  I want my kids back to school.  They need it.  But the schools are clearly valuing the health and safety of not only the kids but staff as well.  

Its time we start doing that more and more.  Lives matter more.  Its not about profits or any of that.  We will make due because when faced with challenges human beings can do amazing things.

I put myself through a bit of torture yesterday and listened to over 2 hours of the school board meeting.  It was a bit jarring because the Fairfax Co. health department was apparently unaware that the superintendent was going to make that decision.  The Superintendent leaned heavily on national and regional numbers, while ignoring that northern VA is doing pretty well.  That was a little frustrating.  However, I'm guessing that behind the scenes they are getting an indication from the teachers that there are going to be a lot of retirements/leave of absences if the hybrid model goes forward right now.

• Like 1

Greetings.  Lurker here.  I wanted to ask if there are any local TV stations that have current radar only or with NOAA forecast info only?  I am in Loudoun County for reference.  I have found channels like this easily in Florida for example, not certain if anything of the sort is to be found buried in the local channels here.  Thanks for any help. 

8 minutes ago, ChocolateDinosaur said:

Greetings.  Lurker here.  I wanted to ask if there are any local TV stations that have current radar only or with NOAA forecast info only?  I am in Loudoun County for reference.  I have found channels like this easily in Florida for example, not certain if anything of the sort is to be found buried in the local channels here.  Thanks for any help. 

Good question.  Not sure Cox cable carries anything beyond what they have for each local network news channel.  Dunno if satellite or other cable offers that.  Not even sure what is offered via antenna anymore.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, H2O said:

Good question.  Not sure Cox cable carries anything beyond what they have for each local network news channel.  Dunno if satellite or other cable offers that.  Not even sure what is offered via antenna anymore.

I have Cox (resists urge to say unladylike words) and WUSA9, the CBS affiliate, had the radar on one of its subchannels a bunch of years ago but got rid of it.  I'm pretty certain WJLA, the ABC affiliate, had (emphasis on had) a subchannel devoted to weather too.  Right now if my cable subchannels are any indication, none of the DC stations have a subchannel devoted to weather or the radar.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Btw I don’t approve the “opening=dead kids” campaign by teachers unions. More kids will die from other diseases and accidents related to schools probably.  The real threat is to staff and the community. I get that’s harder to work in a meme or sign but I don’t like dishonest tactics.  

I told you the teacher’s unions would push hard to keep schools closed, and, as I recall, you stridently denied that would happen. Teachers wanted to be back in the classroom “more than anything” was part of the response, I believe. 

• Like 1

We made the decision months ago to homeschool so we are all set. It’s sad watching parents have meltdowns over this issue as September approaches. There are so many unknowns and high emotions, I understand the frustration. It’s nice to be outside it just watching, however. It will suck for the kids no matter what the schools do. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

We made the decision months ago to homeschool so we are all set. It’s sad watching parents have meltdowns over this issue as September approaches. There are so many unknowns and high emotions, I understand the frustration. It’s nice to be outside it just watching, however. It will suck for the kids no matter what the schools do. 

The impact on inner cities, low income areas, and children in unstable homes is the untold story - the disparity in experience with online schooling is likely large vs the other end of the spectrum.  Seems like school districts aren't being creative enough with how they can try to have in person learning.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

The impact on inner cities, low income areas, and children in unstable homes is the untold story - the disparity in experience with online schooling is likely large vs the other end of the spectrum.  Seems like school districts aren't being creative enough with how they can try to have in person learning.  

Yes. Not trying to start an argument here, but the two groups pushing hardest for 100% remote learning (aside from the teachers) are middle to upper middle class parents who are teleworking and people without kids or who have grown kids. This is what I am seeing in my social circles, at least. Working-class parents who can’t telework are melting down over schools being remote next year, for good reason. 

• Like 2

Schools are a critical part of life for poorer families. The schools are a safe refuge in blighted urban areas, a source of food, and a sort of daycare for kids whose parents can’t take sick days easily or just switch jobs on a whim. Teachers are sometimes the only positive role models and forces in the lives of these kids. Remote schooling basically destroys all that. I expect a lot of these kids to end up roaming the streets during the day instead, which will end badly for everyone. 

But our entire response to COVID has screwed the vulnerable working poor the most in favor of wealthier teleworking families which are at the lowest risk from serious illness, so I expect the back-asswards policies to continue. 

• Like 1

Everything you are saying makes sense. I don’t begrudge you your thoughts. I totally empathize. I don’t teach in Carroll. I teach in Baltimore City. But I am glad they are starting virtual. We explored the idea of virtual or in person options. Problem was too many teachers fall into the “vulnerable” category to run in person schools (especially with smaller classes) if they opted out. I have asthma and Crohns. Both conditions put me in higher risk. My wife and son have asthma. I’ll admit I’m nervous. Phin can make fun of me and call me names. I don’t care. I have a family and I worry about our health. If that makes me some soft snowflake wuss in his opinion so be it. And metrics do look fairly good in parts of MD now but keep in mind the metrics are delayed. They show us what was happening a week ago really. The fear is with schools open it could spread fast and before we react a teacher with a compromised immune system gets it and... All I can say is I want to teach. I could and have done a lot of things but I choose to teach because it’s what I want to do. And I want to get back to normal. I also want to live a long time and see my children grow up!  That said I also empathize with parents that want their children back at school.  I empathize with students that want to be back with their friends.  This sucks. And I don’t have any definitive answers and I don’t pretend too. But I think we all need to be empathetic towards each other’s positions. 

First...oh,  man, that sucks about Crohn's.  And I can empathize, because I've had a history of colitis myself (going back to when I was about 11-12).  Ugh!  I've had enough of those endoscopy tests that I can almost have a drinking game with that God-awful nasty prep solution you have to drink the night before!!  I can deal with an all-liquid diet for a day, and can deal with the procedure itself (they knock you out for it anyhow).  But in the number of times I've had to go through this, I've *never* gotten used to drinking the gallon of that metallic salt flavored s*it!! :lol:

More on topic, I definitely agree with you and get the concern.  I know enough people and have enough friends (including family) who have any variety of "risk" conditions.  I think we'd all like it if schools (and anything else) could reopen and we can get back to some kind of normalcy.  My own daughter will be a Senior this upcoming year, and MoCo just announced it will begin the year with virtual learning through at least the first *semester* (near the end of Jan. 2021).  All fall sports and whatnot are canceled of course, with that.  Does it suck, especially since she's a Senior?  Yeah, and I feel for the fact that her last year in HS will be marred by this crap.  Maybe, with some luck, they'll have some in-school instruction come the 2nd semester but I'm not sure.  And who knows if they'll have a "live" graduation or do something remote like they did for the class of 2020 this year.  So yeah...a drag.  BUT...I totally get it and for the most part support the decision.  MoCo, just by nature of being highly populous and within the DC metro area, has the 2nd highest number of cases (I think PG has the most in the state?).  So it's a different animal than other parts farther out in MD.  I'm sure some areas of the state can more safely open earlier or start up some kind of blended in-person/remote kind of deal.

Yeah, as much as I totally support being very cautious on re-opening, especially in some areas, some of the rhetoric gets over the top.  You're right, the real threat is spreading the disease rampantly through the community by having thousands of kids in school (even if the younger kids might be at far less risk for severe reaction).  And there are probably enough kids with at-risk conditions, as well.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic