• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bmoremdwx
    Newest Member
    bmoremdwx

COVID-19 Talk

The Feds are ending Federal funding for testing this Friday unless something changes.  Can't have a pandemic if you can't test for it!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jaydreb said:

Sorry, I didn’t see where he lived.  They are closed for the rest of the year in Virginia.  I think chances are slim to none that Maryland returns to school but I have no particlar insight into it.  

This is where I will give Northam in VA props for going ahead and closing schools the rest of the year.  When he did it some said it was premature but as we see it play out it was the right call.  Even if social distancing thats going on right now helps flatten the curve and we trend better before May there is too much risk.  The second wave would be bad if all the kids and teachers and staff went back for two months just to get kids some last min learning.

I want my kids in school but I want them safe.  Figure out the trends and how this spreads via testing and data and then make the decision.  Rushing back is dangerous.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The Feds are ending Federal funding for testing this Friday unless something changes.  Can't have a pandemic if you can't test for it!

Someone just wants to close the blinds and say all is well.  

Just now, H2O said:

This is where I will give Northam in VA props for going ahead and closing schools the rest of the year.  When he did it some said it was premature but as we see it play out it was the right call.  Even if social distancing thats going on right now helps flatten the curve and we trend better before May there is too much risk.  The second wave would be bad if all the kids and teachers and staff went back for two months just to get kids some last min learning.

I want my kids in school but I want them safe.  Figure out the trends and how this spreads via testing and data and then make the decision.  Rushing back is dangerous.

I guess I can see the hesitancy by some to not flat out close schools for the rest of the year. But I myself thought it was pretty obvious that this would have to be done. Now I am referring to our particular region. Really don't know if you could apply that to other portions of our country in the far less populace states (such as upper plains).

Sounds more as if the testing sites are transitioning from a local/community level to more so a State level. But what that means in the way of funding I am not sure. So it could very well be a case where the funding is ceasing to go directly to these smaller scale operations and actually going elsewhere to provide for the State Wide management.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services tells NPR, “Many of the Community-Based Testing Sites (CBTS) are not closing, but rather transitioning to state-managed sites on or about April 10.”

The agency and a spokesperson for FEMA say the CBTS program was intended as a stop-gap to bring testing to critical locations, especially for health care facility workers and first responders.

“The transition will ensure each state has the flexibility and autonomy to manage and operate testing sites within the needs of their specific community and to prioritize resources where they are needed the most,” the HHS spokesperson said.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Now this article is one of the reasons I had issues with Trumps ban on just China and their international travelers. Felt strongly that he should have banned at the same time, if not all international flights, then at least flights from Europe. It was quite obvious to me at that point the virus had already spread beyond China into other countries especially Europe. 

https://www.foxnews.com/science/new-york-area-coronavirus-outbreak-originated-primarily-in-europe-not-china-report

I saw a study, maybe I can find it later, that Even if you stopped 99 out of 100 flights for every impacted area, which is effectively impossibleC you only delay the pandemic by a few weeks. 

6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I saw a study, maybe I can find it later, that Even if you stopped 99 out of 100 flights for every impacted area, which is effectively impossibleC you only delay the pandemic by a few weeks. 

True. You can never get total containment when the virus is so wide spread as it was at that point. All you can hope to do is substantially cut into the numbers that are actually getting into the States. In small enough numbers that if you can't at least contain the hot spots that will pop up you can at least buy yourself some extra time. As I said, his ban was a good start but I don't think it went far enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Sounds more as if the testing sites are transitioning from a local/community level to more so a State level. But what that means in the way of funding I am not sure. So it could very well be a case where the funding is ceasing to go directly to these smaller scale operations and actually going elsewhere to provide for the State Wide management.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services tells NPR, “Many of the Community-Based Testing Sites (CBTS) are not closing, but rather transitioning to state-managed sites on or about April 10.”

The agency and a spokesperson for FEMA say the CBTS program was intended as a stop-gap to bring testing to critical locations, especially for health care facility workers and first responders.

“The transition will ensure each state has the flexibility and autonomy to manage and operate testing sites within the needs of their specific community and to prioritize resources where they are needed the most,” the HHS spokesperson said.

A lot of the states are not going to be able to handle this.  Between the logistics coordination for PPE, surge and this political hand grenade that was dumped in our lap, it's a tenuous time.  There is an unusual amount of discord and lack of support from the Feds this go around and it's significantly complicating things on the state and local level.

35 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Even though this is for Louisiana, this is basically the case for everyone. 

People will adapt.  Whether face masks become the norm, or not, people will quickly get on living.  

• Like 1

This perception that some magical cure treatment, or vaccine, is needed before economic activity can resume is pure fiction.  No one shuttered their businesses out of fear of the virus; they were forced to by a government.  Most people are not shuttered in their safe spaces out of fear of the virus; nothing is open for them to go do.

3 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

This perception that some magical cure treatment, or vaccine, is needed before economic activity can resume is pure fiction.  No one shuttered their businesses out of fear of the virus; they were forced to by a government.  Most people are not shuttered in their safe spaces out of fear of the virus; nothing is open for them to go do.

it wont be needed to get back to some semblance of normalcy, but the modified "behaviors" will need to continue. I think most people will abide by it because of some residual fear and simply being used to doing it. I will be ready to roll. I am concerned about how long the travel restrictions will be maintained though. June - August is my time to travel. Also have friends scheduled to come here from across the pond in a couple months.

MD 10am update

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

PA just closed schools for the remainder of the year. More then likely MD will be following shortly. Question I now have is, how do these students make up this work? I know we are talking remote/distant learning being thrown out in many cases but will that be enough? Especially for those students that come from a family with minimal means/money? Wife has told me that they have had serious issues in portions of MD especially in this regards. Guess it will be a learning process over the next few months to figure out the best method. Might involve some out of the box thinking to get this done.

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

PA just closed schools for the remainder of the year. More then likely MD will be following shortly. Question I now have is, how do these students make up this work? I know we are talking remote/distant learning being thrown out in many cases but will that be enough? Especially for those students that come from a family with minimal means/money? Wife has told me that they have had serious issues in portions of MD especially in this regards. Guess it will be a learning process over the next few months to figure out the best method. Might involve some out of the box thinking to get this done.

ha, was coming to post the same news. I imagine MD will follow suit, but may not announce right away. 

IMO: they just pass everyone and start next year fresh. Maybe do some review of what the kids should have been learning, but just move forward. Kids cant repeat years, you can't hold back seniors from graduating, etc. It won't be pretty but I dont know how else they do it.

• Like 2

Expect most other jurisdictions to follow suit:

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

ha, was coming to post the same news. I imagine MD will follow suit, but may not announce right away. 

IMO: they just pass everyone and start next year fresh. Maybe do some review of what the kids should have been learning, but just move forward. Kids cant repeat years, you can't hold back seniors from graduating, etc. It won't be pretty but I dont know how else they do it.

Distance learning is a mess. As far as I can tell from my high-school-aged sister, the teachers are slowly giving up. Arlington County schools technically don't get out until the 21st or so of June... gonna be a long process.

It works fairly well for college, though I definitely feel cheated out of the end of this semester and the fun of being on my campus. I've still got a lot of work and a lot less of the fun ways to blow it off. Luckily for me I like my family, its really tough for those for whom college was an escape.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

Sort of my thoughts as well. I would probably try to do a very condensed refresher on material covered this year as well as the material that was never covered and then move on. As you said, no matter how you look at it, it won't be pretty.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Distance learning is a mess. As far as I can tell from my high-school-aged sister, the teachers are slowly giving up. Arlington County schools technically don't get out until the 21st or so of June... gonna be a long process.

It works fairly well for college, though I definitely feel cheated out of the end of this semester and the fun of being on my campus. I've still got a lot of work and a lot less of the fun ways to blow it off. Luckily for me I like my family, its really tough for those for whom college was an escape.

weve had okay success. virtual class with a bunch of first graders is hectic, but they only do that once a week. mini-map's teachers all put together packets upon packets of stuff to do, but its all electronic. we are still waiting for the actual papers to come home. there is only so much my kid can do online, she needs to sit and do stuff on paper. so, we've done what we can until that paperwork comes in the mail.

of course, every situation is different. my kid is in first grade, so i'm not terribly concerned she isn't learning enough. we have her do plenty. 

• Like 1

Just now, showmethesnow said:

Sort of my thoughts as well. I would probably try to do a very condensed refresher on material covered this year as well as the material that was never covered and then move on. As you said, no matter how you look at it, it won't be pretty.

you can't have students repeat a year that was almost 3 quarters done. in the end parents will complain no matter the decision, but if it was me, just pass them all and start next year fresh. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

weve had okay success. virtual class with a bunch of first graders is hectic, but they only do that once a week. mini-map's teachers all put together packets upon packets of stuff to do, but its all electronic. we are still waiting for the actual papers to come home. there is only so much my kid can do online, she needs to sit and do stuff on paper. so, we've done what we can until that paperwork comes in the mail.

of course, every situation is different. my kid is in first grade, so i'm not terribly concerned she isn't learning enough. we have her do plenty. 

yeah, I can see it working in colleges and elementary schools, where the teachers (pretty much) teach one or two classes and have a more controlled lesson plan. In high school and middle school where the teachers teach five+ periods with very different classes... I imagine its super challenging. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

you can't have students repeat a year that was almost 3 quarters done. in the end parents will complain no matter the decision, but if it was me, just pass them all and start next year fresh. 

I could see taking what wasn't covered the 4th quarter and integrating it into next years curriculum.  Spend the first month on last years stuff and then roll with the new grade material.  From what my kids tell me, the first week or so is refresher stuff.  An abridged 4th quarter to begin next year would work.

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

I have a young elementary school and a middle schooler.  The middle schooler is doing somewhat better with the distance learning.  The elementary school one....sigh.  I wish I had more time to help, but both the wife and I are working from home, so it is a challenge.  

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

I could see taking what wasn't covered the 4th quarter and integrating it into next years curriculum.  Spend the first month on last years stuff and then roll with the new grade material.  From what my kids tell me, the first week or so is refresher stuff.  An abridged 4th quarter to begin next year would work.

Yup, i could see that being a good way to tackle it too. 

1 minute ago, MDphotog said:

I have a young elementary school and a middle schooler.  The middle schooler is doing somewhat better with the distance learning.  The elementary school one....sigh.  I wish I had more time to help, but both the wife and I are working from home, so it is a challenge.  

I feel you! Its hard for us too, both my husband and I work all day too, and then give her attention, etc as much as we can. Its not easy! But don't give up hope, you guys will make it work however you can!

Just now, mappy said:

Yup, i could see that being a good way to tackle it too. 

I feel you! Its hard for us too, both my husband and I work all day too, and then give her attention, etc as much as we can. Its not easy! But don't give up hope, you guys will make it work however you can!

Thanks! Best wishes to your family as well.  I'm not terribly worried as she is only in 1st grade, so there will be time to get her back on track.  I'm actually a little bit happy with the situation for the middle school student as it is causing her to have to really up her personal responsibility outside of school (keeping up with assignment due dates, and such) which is an aspect she has always struggled with.

Just now, MDphotog said:

Thanks! Best wishes to your family as well.  I'm not terribly worried as she is only in 1st grade, so there will be time to get her back on track.  I'm actually a little bit happy with the situation for the middle school student as it is causing her to have to really up her personal responsibility outside of school (keeping up with assignment due dates, and such) which is an aspect she has always struggled with.

see there is a positive! mine is first grade too, so right there with you. there is only so much learning you can teach them at that age. 

48 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

it wont be needed to get back to some semblance of normalcy, but the modified "behaviors" will need to continue. I think most people will abide by it because of some residual fear and simply being used to doing it. I will be ready to roll. I am concerned about how long the travel restrictions will be maintained though. June - August is my time to travel. Also have friends scheduled to come here from across the pond in a couple months.

Yeah, behaviors and culture will likely change a bit.  Mass travel and venues will be the most affected IMO.  Travel and entertainment may need to adapt.

48 minutes ago, mappy said:

I agree with this.  Just keep everything moving.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

53 minutes ago, mappy said:

Every district has their own plan.  For Baltimore, we gave out pretty extensive work packets first at our school then at food distribution centers to cover the last few weeks.  Starting this week (for 4th Quarter) we are online using google classroom and we meet with students live several times a week using collaborate.  I am posting assignments pretty much the same as I would in class, adapting them when needed obviously.  I cut the work load down some and am being flexible as we get adjusted...but for me the loss (for students who are choosing to participate) won't be that extreme.  There are paper packets also still available for students who do not have access to tech, but we are also offering programs for free internet service, phones and tablets so technically all students could have access if they wanted.  Participation so far has been about 70% and honestly that is about what my participation rate was before all this.  

The biggest issue is the loss of socialization for students, especially younger ones.  I have been calling and messaging students frequently to check up on them and see how they are doing.  Encouraging them to participate in our live sessions.  Some teachers don't want to give out their phone numbers but I have always allowed my students to contact me and it's never been a real issue.  Hopefully this doesn't extend to next year but we are already taking steps to prepare in case it does.  

• Like 1