Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

27 minutes ago, mappy said:

Hogan: 1-2 BILLION has already been spent within the state. wowza. that's gonna hurt the states budget

If it's tracked right, MD will get ~75% of the COVID19 expenditures back from the  Major Disaster Declaration but that's a ways off.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

1.7k deaths today and we aren't at the evening update yet.

This would make today a day where COVID is the leading cause of death in the US. 1.6k die of heart disease every day.

And now 1.8, smh Well, they said this was gonna be a tough week...(and I remember a few models had the US losing over 2k a day during whatever the peak was...mercy)

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And now 1.8, smh Well, they said this was gonna be a tough week...(and I remember a few models had the US losing over 2k a day during whatever the peak was...mercy)

Basically goes to show how bad this would be if it were not contained. Even locked down completely, we are losing more people every day than we do to heart disease.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Most of the states with bad outbreaks recorded their worst, or close to worst day yet: GA, MA, CT, LA, NY, NJ, IL, MI, PA, CA

3 hours ago, mappy said:

my mom, god bless her, made us all fabric masks. my anxiety over having to go the store dropped by just having a mask. 

Pretty neat!  I may have to confiscate one of my daughter's bandannas to use as a make-shift mask when venturing out to the supermarket.  Not perfect, but it is something.

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

Basically goes to show how bad this would be if it were not contained. Even locked down completely, we are losing more people every day than we do to heart disease.

Very true.  I think there's enough evidence at this point to show that at least some "social distancing" and staying at home has helped to mitigate the spread somewhat compared to if nothing were done.  But we're far from ideal.

As an aside, I'll say when I went out this past weekend out toward Rockville to grab a few things...the lack of traffic on the Rockville Pike was quite extraordinary (normally mid-day on a weekend it would be crowded!).  Hell, I could even turn LEFT, easily, without having to wait for the next round of green lights!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mappy said:

my mom, god bless her, made us all fabric masks. my anxiety over having to go the store dropped by just having a mask. 

That's awesome!

I got up at 5:30 today to get to Home Depot at six when they opened, and I had a bandana on.  The trouble with bandanas is that if you don't secure them properly, you touch the areas around your face way more often than you normally would.  Fortunately, I though this through beforehand, and now I have a nice, new, 4' x 8' x 1.5" insulation board covered with whiteboard contact paper to use in my garage "classroom"   

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Found a 10 pack of N95 masks in the far rear of my work truck.  I'm going to  give a couple to my parents and my older neighbor. The least I can do .

Stop in for a beer when you’re nearby. Give me a heads up and I’ll pour you an oyster stout while we maintain social distancing.  Just no more shaking hands with the clients!

It's a little troubling hearing news about the possible resurgence of the virus in those that have supposedly recovered. We have heard sporadic reports here and there of this possibility but now S Korea has come out with a report of 51 cases of this in the Daegu and surrounding areas. Talking up to a 10% relapse rate. More study will have to be done but I would think governments are rethinking their ideas on how long those infected should be quarantined.

16 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Fantastic :lol: 

Nothing like a good laugh during difficult times. Wish more people tried it. 

Not that I have had the hardest life compared to some but it has had its share of difficulties. Always have found even at the worst of times that humor can lift your spirit and help pull you through. Humor.... And lots of booze. Can't forget the booze. :D

• Like 2

Still have far to go with this virus so who knows what surprises are in store, but current modeling as well as ground truth is painting a much rosier picture then what was expected just a week ago let alone the possibilities we were facing initially of massive deaths. Just goes to show that the reality is almost always somewhere in the middle.

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

It's a little troubling hearing news about the possible resurgence of the virus in those that have supposedly recovered. We have heard sporadic reports here and there of this possibility but now S Korea has come out with a report of 51 cases of this in the Daegu and surrounding areas. Talking up to a 10% relapse rate. More study will have to be done but I would think governments are rethinking their ideas on how long those infected should be quarantined.

most modeling of this has shown a second bump coming after the initial wave.  any new news of a second set of cases in these places should only re-enforce how a full re-opening would be too hasty.

1 minute ago, H2O said:

most modeling of this has shown a second bump coming after the initial wave.  any new news of a second set of cases in these places should only re-enforce how a full re-opening would be too hasty.

Have heard arguments on both sides about the possibilities of a second wave. Both have merits. I am still pretty much leaving my thinking on that open though at this time I might lean towards the 2'nd wave scenario a little. I do think if we do see one it's impact will much more muted then this initial wave for various reasons. As far as a full reopening from the get go I think that is far from likely. Probably see an incremental ramp up within different industries as well as in the different States and regions. I strongly believe that the decisions in this regard need to be handled by the State and local leaders who have an understanding of their regions needs and should not be a blanket opening by the Fed with a one size fits all approach.

13 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That's awesome!

I got up at 5:30 today to get to Home Depot at six when they opened, and I had a bandana on.  The trouble with bandanas is that if you don't secure them properly, you touch the areas around your face way more often than you normally would.  Fortunately, I though this through beforehand, and now I have a nice, new, 4' x 8' x 1.5" insulation board covered with whiteboard contact paper to use in my garage "classroom"   

worked like a charm when i went to the store this morning. found toilet paper!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 7:48 PM, WxUSAF said:

My wife filed for unemployment soon after the schools closed. We got the tax withholding form and it said no work contacts were required, which is exactly what the webpage says. Now she gets a letter today saying “circumstances changed” and she has to do 3 per week? Wtf?? Anybody have some insight on this?

FYI:  

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Still have far to go with this virus so who knows what surprises are in store, but current modeling as well as ground truth is painting a much rosier picture then what was expected just a week ago let alone the possibilities we were facing initially of massive deaths. Just goes to show that the reality is almost always somewhere in the middle.

I hope its right.  IMHE model down another  25% for overall US mortality (now at 60,000).  Maryland appears way down as well, with only 1100 total deaths predicted through August 4.  Virginia with only 900.  

It’s just a model, but it is showing the impact of our social distancing efforts.  I’m sure some will misinterpret it as showing that we overreacted, but I think it just shows that the measures are effective.  We still have to keep them up and then carefully manage the reopening. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

1 minute ago, jaydreb said:

I hope its right.  IMHE model down another  25% for overall US mortality (now at 60,000).  Maryland appears way down as well, with only 1100 total deaths predicted through August 4.  Virginia with only 900.  

It’s just a model, but it is showing the impact of our social distancing efforts.  I’m sure some will misinterpret it as showing that we overreacted, but I think it just shows that the measures are effective.  We still have to keep them up and then carefully manage the reopening. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Ohio and Maryland were the most aggressive states with physical distancing and other societal measures to slow community transmission.  It's no surprise that we're going to emerge stronger than most of the US.

• Like 1

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic