Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

Just now, jaydreb said:

I don’t understand.  I thought I recall you saying that you thought things would be reopening in May.  This is a few days short of May.  

I’ve always said May 15 at the earliest with a slow rollout starting with businesses that don’t require close interaction.

That is decidedly not what Georgia is doing.

Just now, supernovasky said:

I’ve always said May 15 at the earliest with a slow rollout starting with businesses that don’t require close interaction.

That is decidedly not what Georgia is doing.

But that is for MD, right?  I don’t really know GA’s data but it looks like their daily deaths have dropped off dramatically in the last week.  

11 minutes ago, H2O said:

My dad was born in 1936 so he was a part of the tail end of the Great Depression and jumped right into WW2/  The stuff he told me of what they did/didn't have as a kid was stunning.  

Now we have groups of people going out to protest and butthurt they can't get a damn haircut or lawn gnomes with ease.  There are just ridiculous narratives being pushed when reality is that a ton of people will suffer if we don't listen to the experts.

My Dad was born during WW 1 and served the length of WW2. I or my sister still have, hidden somewhere, the ration stamp books used for basic food items. When we complained, as kids, my mom would explain what it was like to get sugar, butter, coffee and meats like bacon. How ladies would fake pregnancy to get a larger allotment. Haircuts were easy. If you were old enough and healthy you got them free from the military, if not you made due with moms best cuts especially where barbers were scarce. As always ....

• Like 3

Just now, supernovasky said:

Regardless there is no point in debating. Georgia is doing it and we will have our answers in a couple of weeks what kind of effect this has.

I’m not defending it.  I don’t really know enough about the situation there one way or the other.  I think we should be careful about assuming that all things have to be fully open or fully closed.  There can be a middle ground.   

8 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

How do you social distance a massage?

Seems ridiculous.  The only thing I can see is that massages (and haircuts) are just very few people in a room.  Although they will obviously be close together, it won’t be a large gathering, and sanitizing between visits shouldn’t be impossible to do.  Gyms seem a little more problematic since it is dozens of people touching things and hard to sanitize.  

I think one of the biggest challenges is fitness centers.  By now a lot of people saw that study where one asymptomatic person sitting by an AC vent in a Hong Kong restaurant infected 10 other people downwind of the vent, many of which were well beyond 6 feet.  Fitness centers seem ripe for this kind of spread with the fans, the AC pumping, and people panting as they work out. I wonder if people will work out in masks, that would certainly help. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

I think one of the biggest challenges is fitness centers.  By now a lot of people saw that study where one asymptomatic person sitting by an AC vent in Hong Kong infected 10 other people downwind of the vent, many of which were well beyond 6 feet.  Fitness centers seem ripe for this kind of spread with the fans, the AC pumping, and people panting as they work out. I wonder if people will work out in masks, that would certainly help. 

Just think of how infected Nakatomi Plaza would have been if John McClain was COVID positive fighting Hans

31 minutes ago, H2O said:

My dad was born in 1936 so he was a part of the tail end of the Great Depression and jumped right into WW2/  The stuff he told me of what they did/didn't have as a kid was stunning.  

Now we have groups of people going out to protest and butthurt they can't get a damn haircut or lawn gnomes with ease.  There are just ridiculous narratives being pushed when reality is that a ton of people will suffer if we don't listen to the experts.

Hey now...lawn gnomes are people, too!! :lol:

17 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I think one of the biggest challenges is fitness centers.  By now a lot of people saw that study where one asymptomatic person sitting by an AC vent in a Hong Kong restaurant infected 10 other people downwind of the vent, many of which were well beyond 6 feet.  Fitness centers seem ripe for this kind of spread with the fans, the AC pumping, and people panting as they work out. I wonder if people will work out in masks, that would certainly help. 

I can certainly believe that...I'll never forget that time in high school where somebody sneezed right in front of the AC that was blowing on me about 6-7 feet away: I caught a cold right after that (felt like I could literally feel the germs entering my nose, lol). So yeah, AC + droplets=no bueno!

2 hours ago, supernovasky said:

Regardless there is no point in debating. Georgia is doing it and we will have our answers in a couple of weeks what kind of effect this has.

Just out of curiosity, if GA starts opening businesses and in a few weeks there aren’t any jumps in cases/deaths would you advocate for most everywhere (maybe minus NYC, NJ) to do the same?

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Just out of curiosity, if GA starts opening businesses and in a few weeks there aren’t any jumps in cases/deaths would you advocate for most everywhere (maybe minus NYC, NJ) to do the same?

I would bet my house on there being  a much higher level of immunity in NJ and New York then in other parts of the country.

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Absolutely

This a great argument for Federalism.  I mean let’s say it goes sideways in GA/other locales opening up now.  That will be tragic.  But imagine if it was the Federal Governments call to make the decision for the whole country.  That would be a disaster.  I’m hoping for the best in GA.

1 minute ago, SnowGolfBro said:

This a great argument for Federalism.  I mean let’s say it goes sideways in GA/other locales opening up now.  That will be tragic.  But imagine if it was the Federal Governments call to make the decision for the whole country.  That would be a disaster.  I’m hoping for the best in GA.

We are in uncharted waters with a novel virus, there will be a lot of trial and error.  Hopefully they take the social distancing seriously in the businesses they open. 

Quite the gamble Georgia is taking. Either it causes havoc in two weeks time on their hospitals systems, or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t many states will follow suit regardless of the plans/guidelines being put out by 45/DC

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic