• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

Does anyone know what the game plan is for testing going forward? So far it seems primarily if symptoms are presented or if you work in a high risk environment.

It seems like a good idea to have random testing of some sort when we start opening back up, to have a more real time sense of any virus presence locally.

Given the availability of testing so far and the absence of federal support for widespread testing, it might be a pipe dream.

15 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Because it took someone going over the head of the federal government to a different country to get the ball rolling.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SnowGolfBro said:
1 hour ago, Yeoman said:

As should anyone, including in Georgia, that might be scared and are lucky enough to have that option. Others need to take their chances so they can feed their families and keep a roof over their heads.

I get it. Or, at least, I have empathy for it. We are not a family struggling as we both can work from home. But I hear you, and others, and fully 100% understand the argument. I feel that there is no good answer. We can’t flip a switch, nor can we stay closed for months longer. There has to be a middle ground, ease back into it..but there has to be some criteria to when that can happen. 
it’s going to become a cluster when you have states like GA opening and people drive in out of state to have a sense of normalcy. Virus will jump back and forth across state lines as people travel to and fro. Then you’ll have calls to ban visitors from states who are opened too soon, or still closed, or whatever. It’s all just a mess. I’m rambling now. Sorry.

My point: there has to be a general standard in place that all cities, towns, states, however detailed you wanna get...must follow in order to open without causing more havoc on an already shakily balanced hospital system. This would mean more rural places could open sooner than the urban areas. Especially larger states where people are so spread out. Half the damn counties in Montana dont even have it (though they are not closed, bad example). I just worry opening too soon, when states and/cities are still heading up the drive, is going to cause only more problems then current. 

you get my point..I hope. Too long of a lost, sorry snowfan :( 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mappy said:

I get it. Or, at least, I have empathy for it. We are not a family struggling as we both can work from home. But I hear you, and others, and fully 100% understand the argument. I feel that there is no good answer. We can’t flip a switch, nor can we stay closed for months longer. There has to be a middle ground, ease back into it..but there has to be some criteria to when that can happen. 
it’s going to become a cluster when you have states like GA opening and people drive in out of state to have a sense of normalcy. Virus will jump back and forth across state lines as people travel to and fro. Then you’ll have calls to ban visitors from states who are opened too soon, or still closed, or whatever. It’s all just a mess. I’m rambling now. Sorry.

My point: there has to be a general standard in place that all cities, towns, states, however detailed you wanna get...must follow in order to open without causing more havoc on an already shakily balanced hospital system. This would mean more rural places could open sooner than the urban areas. Especially larger states where people are so spread out. Half the damn counties in Montana dont even have it (though they are not closed, bad example). I just worry opening too soon, when states and/cities are still heading up the drive, is going to cause only more problems then current. 

you get my point..I hope. Too long of a lost, sorry snowfan :( 

The federal gov’t tried to do it with the Phasing and gating system.  The problem is that they are simply guidelines and it seems some states will just be ignoring them.  

I was talking to my sister who is a nurse at Stanford University.  I take her opinions seriously as she is on the front lines and very knowledgeable.  One thing she mentioned is that cold and flu season comes to a pretty abrupt end in a couple weeks.  We don’t know how how Covid will react because it’s new and we don’t know what we don’t know.  But she sounded confident that things are getting better there and she feels like this factor is being overlooked.  If (an unknown at the this point) the virus follows suit with other viruses we could see a pretty dramatic positive shift over the coming weeks.

2 hours ago, Yeoman said:

As should anyone, including in Georgia, that might be scared and are lucky enough to have that option. Others need to take their chances so they can feed their families and keep a roof over their heads.

If that’s your justification why not advocate we freeze all debts/rents/utilities?  That would accomplish the same thing without risking lives!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If that’s your justification why not advocate we freeze all debts/rents/utilities?  That would accomplish the same thing without risking lives!

PSU.. that has a really bad trickle up effect that causes instability in financial systems that depend on debt/rents/utilities.  You also cannot unilaterally impose policy that interferes with such markets, when by doing so prevents one from their own pursuits in a market economy... This is protected in the 5th and 14th amendment. Closing down businesses in the US is getting dangerously close to crossing the line.. if is hasnt already done so.  It is only going to be a matter of time before people start to realize what is going on here and realize whats at stake.

A line must be drawn somewhere.   

I would think you of all people would understand that..  

PSU.. that has a really bad trickle up effect that causes instability in financial systems that depend on debt/rents/utilities.  You also cannot unilaterally impose policy that interferes with such markets, when by doing so prevents one from their own pursuits in a market economy... This is protected in the 5th and 14th amendment. Closing down businesses in the US is getting dangerously close to crossing the line.. if is hasnt already done so.  It is only going to be a matter of time before people start to realize what is going on here and realize whats at stake.
A line must be drawn somewhere.   
I would think you of all people would understand that..  

What tends to also have a really bad effect on a financial system is people being unable to pay their bills, buy lifesaving medications, feed their families, spend money on anything other than essential goods, etc. Economic productivity decreases when you can’t pay the power and water bill!

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

this is largely being done. Utilities are not shutting off service for nonpayment at least where i live.  Mortgage banks are allowing payments to be missed in the short term. Interest still accrues. But this can only last about 90 days.  The bond holders need to be paid and banks only have so much liquidity on their balance sheets. If the mortgage bond market crashes the pain inflicted will be catastrophic. 

7 hours ago, supernovasky said:

Yes. If Georgia reopens and there isn’t a significant resurgence in 3 weeks I would be in favor of most places following that lead. I doubt very much that happens though.

I just shudder to think what would happen in this country if there was a second wave.

Do you think we could stand another wave of Mitigation?

I can. I'll never get bored with all the chores I have every day. But what about everyone else?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jaydreb said:

The federal gov’t tried to do it with the Phasing and gating system.  The problem is that they are simply guidelines and it seems some states will just be ignoring them.  

that was my point... there needs to be a system in place.

1 hour ago, snowfan said:

Cant believe how long mappys post was last night. Might be the worst thing in this entire thread :P

i know, but didn't you see my note... i thought of you.

Looks like several states are working on passing liability shields to protect employers from being sued by their employees for unsafe conditions while they reopen for the pandemic.

Seems about right.

This is why the whole “open up but stay home if you are at risk” thing just falls apart. Employers will make even at risk employees go to work. I know because both of my parents are in this situation.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN223179?__twitter_impression=true

3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Looks like several states are working on passing liability shields to protect employers from being sued by their employees for unsafe conditions while they reopen for the pandemic.

Seems about right.

This is why the whole “open up but stay home if you are at risk” thing just falls apart. Employers will make even at risk employees go to work. I know because both of my parents are in this situation.

They are smart to do that. If someone comes down with the virus who is to say where they picked it up.

1 minute ago, Wonderdog said:

They are smart to do that. If someone comes down with the virus who is to say where they picked it up.

If multiple members in the same company pick it up and died and it’s determined that the company forced at risk people to come to work and didn’t comply with CDC and state guidelines they absolutely should be open to lawsuit.

2 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

mmmm thats definitely tricky. being forced to leave your house if you dont feel its safe to do so, yet your employer is demanding you show up, thus putting you at risk. 

Gov. Larry Hogan signed an order Monday allowing barbershops and salons to reopen by appointment only for some essential workers amid coronavirus concerns. 

The order allows for services by appointment only for who are required to maintain "grooming standards" by their employer, according to the order.

The worker is required to present documentation to the salon or barbershop from their employer expressing their standards. 

Officials said those who this order would generally apply to include "military personnel, first responders and other essential workers required to maintain certain, well-documented grooming standards as part of their profession, or where ungroomed hair could pose a safety risk."

baby steps.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

mmmm thats definitely tricky. being forced to leave your house if you dont feel its safe to do so, yet your employer is demanding you show up, thus putting you at risk. 

Oh it's tricky alright. Get ready for some litigation. But if I were an employer,  I would definitely look into it. There would be good reasons to sue and to have employees sign a waiver. 

43 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Seems about right.

Employers can't force you come to work. You can tell them you don't feel comfortable doing so and they will find someone who will.. plenty of hurting people out there who would love a job and are capable of following safety guidelines.

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic