Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

2 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Pricing is of course driven on demand, which I suspect will initially be very low based on the paranoia/fear factor.. Sadly, reducing your capacity by 50% is a no go for most restaurants.. they have razor thin margins to begin with, and make up for it with volume. I think we will be lucky to see 50% of these places reopen unless the restrictions are not overly stringent. Hopefully down the line they can give it another go

I can certainly see prices going up significantly in the long run due to inevitable inflation from giving away trillions

Yeah it’s really a shame.  Hopefully this next round of PPP funding helps a little. 

40 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

From what I've seen at work, these numbers are not due to a spike in testing bandwidth.  This is high and it's just the Monday/Tuesday slump.  Our hospitalizations numbers are not getting any better either.

The weekly variance is very likely due to the decreased staffing to process information over the weekend.  The “unprocessed” data over the weekend ends up dumped into the Monday/Tuesday reports.  But it’s not as big a deal as “some” are proposing wrt reliability. Yes it skews single day data. But we (and no one of importance is anyways) shouldn’t be using any single day to draw meaningful conclusions. Since the phenomenon is logical and consistent every week the fluctuations do not impact the longer term weekly trends. The daily flux is predictable and can be factored into the analysis. I’m not saying this for your benefit, just pointing it out in general because I think the reliability of data is very important in this situation. Some numbers are not as applicable as others for various reasons, but some are wrt trends. But some have questioned the entire legitimacy of all data due to what is a very logical, common, and predictable weekly variation in processing. 

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

just spit balling but, Hogan's wife asked South Korea for help. (she is from SK).. wonder if they sent tests to the state?

Interesting theory...that would be kind of funny if Hogan pulls off something internationally that the federal level should've done, lol (wasn't there another state that got something from another country?)

P.S. I'm not sure spitballing is a very sanitary thing to do right now...^_^

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

A lot of counties opening up more drive up testing.  Not sure if this is related, but it's been a big push at the local level.  

Maybe

24 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Interesting theory...that would be kind of funny if Hogan pulls off something internationally that the federal level should've done, lol (wasn't there another state that got something from another country?)

P.S. I'm not sure spitballing is a very sanitary thing to do right now...^_^

lol good point. I’m just guessing. I knew his wife asked SK for help weeks ago, I never saw if they ended up helping or not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Heck yeah. Hopefully we have everything we need to scale the processing of these tests.

This will make reopening in Maryland much easier. 

One can hope!

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Heck yeah, Hogan! And great call, Mappy (but of course it was...because mother always knows best :D)

it was a lucky guess, but I did know his wife had reached out to SK, so glad they are helping out. Now, hopefully the tests are not picked up and taken away before the state can use them. other supplies have been "federally acquired" as they make their ways to tarmacs and such. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

One can hope!

it was a lucky guess, but I did know his wife had reached out to SK, so glad they are helping out. Now, hopefully the tests are not picked up and taken away before the state can use them. other supplies have been "federally acquired" as they make their ways to tarmacs and such. 

Was just about to say this.  Hope they're already in a warehouse in the state and not en route because I've lost all faith in the Feds with this event.

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Was just about to say this.  Hope they're already in a warehouse in the state and not en route because I've lost all faith in the Feds with this event.

Agreed. I hope Hogan did this quietly without raising any flags in DC

• Like 1

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

I’m glad hogan is on top of this.  Back to normal ish before summer would be AWESOME.

I don't think it'll be "normal" until we have a vaccine or treatment. Even with widespread testing, countries that have successfully used this strategy still haven't opened up schools, mass gatherings, pools, malls, etc.

But it'll be more relaxed than we have now.

50 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Yet another friend has COVID. This one in California. He's young, smokes, but otherwise healthy. I was talking to him on the phone and he is coughing up a storm. Not hospitalized.

I went from barely knowing anyone with it to now 4 people.

I dont know ANYONE  that has it. All of my family and friends live in Brooklyn and Long Island. A text thread of 12 of us is ongoing since 2015. Only a few of them HEARD about someone they indirectly knew had it. One of my buds is a LT in FDNY in Brooklyn.  He is on the front line. Won't get into details here but is aggravated the ground truth is completely different than what is being depicted by the press. Tv and media. Take it for what it's worth. Not a blue or red statement. Just a report. 

May 15 would be a nice Benchmark to shoot for. 

• Haha 1

Just now, supernovasky said:

I don't think it'll be "normal" until we have a vaccine or treatment. Even with widespread testing, countries that have successfully used this strategy still haven't opened up schools, mass gatherings, pools, malls, etc.

I'd put my money on a treatment before a vaccine.  In 20 years of global vaccine research for SARS and MERS, not a single vaccine has been developed.  There are some promising prospects out there, but even if something was announced today, there is no way commercial availability would be before November.  Even then, it would only be available for hospitals for those seriously or critically ill.

3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Yeah I’m not even worried about fully normal, I’m just looking forward to family/friend gatherings under 10 people.  Seeing all the family and friends we haven’t been seeing. 

• Like 1

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic