Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,784
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    SimplySmoothWX
    Newest Member
    SimplySmoothWX
    Joined

Coronavirus


Chicago Storm
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Was at the bar earlier watching the Tigers. Struck up a conversation with a local about COVID. He is reluctant to get the vaccine. I asked him why and he said something the struck me. He basically said that why should he run out and get the vaccine if he is still required to wear a mask, can still infect others and be infected. I didn’t challenge him on his stance but urged him to be careful. The conversation then turned into a mutual rant about the crappy Detroit Lions. 

Anyhow, theres a lot of vaccine skepticism out there. I know more money is being spent on public health outreach, but its obvious that more can be done.  

 

 

As more data comes in, the evidence is leaning more toward that not being the case. The CDC was and is urging caution because not much was known about this aspect. I wouldn't be surprised to see that guidance change soon, especially if more evidence continues to come in supporting efficacy against the major variants of concern.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Suicide numbers are down, interesting because that is what so many liked to beat their chest on, why lockdowns were so bad. Which is concerning is the other medical deaths going up probably because of reluctance to go to the hospitals.

Ehh...accidental deaths are up 19k (mostly overdose). That's pretty significant. 

Restrictions and lockdowns are a necessary evil at times but they aren't without negative downstream effects. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

As more data comes in, the evidence is leaning more toward that not being the case. The CDC was and is urging caution because not much was known about this aspect. I wouldn't be surprised to see that guidance change soon, especially if more evidence continues to come in supporting efficacy against the major variants of concern.

Will be interesting to see the CDCs next step. Especially since we’ve entered the endemic phase. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So last night I registered to get my vaccine. I figured it would be a few weeks or more til i got an appointment date. To my surprise today I was told I can get it done next Thursday and that there were dozens of openings left to fill. Being in the dead center if the thumb of mi I figured people might be in a rush to get it but I guess not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Ehh...accidental deaths are up 19k (mostly overdose). That's pretty significant. 

Restrictions and lockdowns are a necessary evil at times but they aren't without negative downstream effects. 

Yeah, I attribute that to people being at home more, I think the bigger problem is the amount of extra medical related death.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Will be interesting to see the CDCs next step. Especially since we’ve entered the endemic phase. 

Is there some kind of official declaration of the end of the pandemic and when it's considered an endemic virus?  Just wondering because the WHO came out and called it a pandemic a little over a year ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Is there some kind of official declaration of the end of the pandemic and when it's considered an endemic virus?  Just wondering because the WHO came out and called it a pandemic a little over a year ago.

I don't know if there is an official declaration. If the general sense, I would imagine this would be when most areas can return to life with minimal restrictions and without ongoing significant amounts of excess mortality. The pandemic is certainly not yet over, cases and deaths overall have risen worldwide in the past 2-3 weeks (Brazil is responsible for a lot of that, but numbers are up in other places too)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Scorpion said:

I’ve thrown out all my masks, this is eradicated in my opinion, anybody that is high risk has been vaccinated so it’s no worse than a common cold now.

Somehow managed to top virtually every terrible post that has been made in this thread.  Congrats.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Somehow managed to top virtually every terrible post that has been made in this thread.  Congrats.

The mask thing I’ll never ever ever understand for the anger and reactions they create. I understand completely the lockdown opposition and even the vaccine resistance to some extent....but the sh*t fit some threw over wearing a mask some places in public is just beyond parody.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

The mask thing I’ll never ever ever understand for the anger and reactions they create. I understand completely the lockdown opposition and even the vaccine resistance to some extent....but the sh*t fit some threw over wearing a mask some places in public is just beyond parody.

I wear one all day at work and cannot stand it. It's a big deal to me, I hate them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's not good. Between this and the 15 million J and J vaccines, doesn't instill much confidence.


German experts say under 60s should not get second AstraZeneca vaccine

BERLIN (Reuters)...

.......under 60-years old who have had a first shot of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine should receive a different product for their second dose.

.......due to the rare but severe occurrence of thromboembolic side effects. It said it would make a separate recommendation later on younger people who had already received a first shot.

“Until the appropriate data is available, STIKO recommends for people under 60 years old that instead of the second AstraZeneca dose, a dose of an mRNA-vaccine should be given 12 weeks after the first vaccine,” STIKO said.

More.....

German experts say under 60s should not get second AstraZeneca vaccine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I wear one all day at work and cannot stand it. It's a big deal to me, I hate them.

But the important thing is, you suck it up and do it because it's the right thing to do at this moment in history. I don't know anybody who's exactly enamored with them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I wear one all day at work and cannot stand it. It's a big deal to me, I hate them.

I don't like them either.  Really gets annoying after hours of wearing it.  But the way I look at it is that sometimes in life you do things that you don't like doing.  I have mild asthma.  I don't need an inhaler or anything and it generally doesn't affect me in day to day life, but when masked, I start to feel it sometimes.  Probably could've cut the vaccine line because of that but opted not to since it's mild, plus I wanted to wait it out a little bit longer.  Very much looking forward to the days of not wearing a mask, but will continue doing so until fully vaccinated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Is there some kind of official declaration of the end of the pandemic and when it's considered an endemic virus?  Just wondering because the WHO came out and called it a pandemic a little over a year ago.

One of the many articles on the endemic phase.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/02/27/what-if-covid-becomes-endemic.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Might be wise for America to slow down reopening everything just out of a abundance of caution 

Might have a hard time reversing momentum as long as cases remain low or steady in the states that have rolled things towards reopening 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

 

 

45 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

 

Do these lockdowns accomplish much. Other than roiling emotions, creating economic hardship and punting preventive medical procedures. This seems absurd IMO. Only time will tell. Because we will not fully grasp all of this for many years.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Might have a hard time reversing momentum as long as cases remain low or steady in the states that have rolled things towards reopening 

Things are not as bad in America but the world as a whole is getting worse. Over 700k cases today and nearly 12k deaths

Screenshot_20210402-000303_Chrome.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, StormfanaticInd said:

Things are not as bad in America but the world as a whole is getting worse. Over 700k cases today and nearly 12k deaths

Screenshot_20210402-000303_Chrome.jpg

Europe’s vaccination rollout has been laughable. I count my blessings that Im a US citizen. 
 

I spoke with my physician earlier this week about getting the vaccine or not. I had C19 back in NOV and I called to ask if it’s appropriate to wait, or immediately get vaccinated...the answer was interesting. He recommended the J&J vaccine after 9 full months after C19 infection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

 

Do these lockdowns accomplish much. Other than roiling emotions, creating economic hardship and punting preventive medical procedures. This seems absurd IMO. Only time will tell. Because we will not fully grasp all of this for many years.

I think they undoubtedly lower cases in the immediate term. My problem with them thus far has been the moving target purgatory that follows the lockdown. As in, let’s use lockdowns to actually target hotspots and prepare emergency responses for the case load and then get as open as we can. Because I also think it’s pretty obvious the half open half closed stuff doesn’t do anything to actually slow anything down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Europe’s vaccination rollout has been laughable. I count my blessings that Im a US citizen. 
 

I spoke with my physician earlier this week about getting the vaccine or not. I had C19 back in NOV and I called to ask if it’s appropriate to wait, or immediately get vaccinated...the answer was interesting. He recommended the J&J vaccine after 9 full months after C19 infection. 

Europeans on average have been more hesitant to get the vaccine than Americans as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Things are not as bad in America but the world as a whole is getting worse. Over 700k cases today and nearly 12k deaths

Screenshot_20210402-000303_Chrome.jpg

I think it’s going to look that way for the foreseeable future as long as we keep leading the vaccine numbers 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...