strongwxnc

Feb 20-21 OBS ( all bets off)

Just a fine misty snow here in Clayton now. Picked up about an inch so far. What's falling now is melting on the slushy road with little to no accumulation.

• Thanks 1

Looks like it is winding down in Raleigh. We will come in on the low end of the range.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Just got back from another Jeb Walk.  Mixed feelings.  On one hand, the snow falling is beautiful as is the snow in the trees and the grass.  On the other hand, the wet/slushy streets are not so much, and having to jump around and dodge huge puddles of water like you’re out there in a torrential downpour takes you out of the wintry spirit a bit.  This storm reminds me a lot of the January 2013 ULL in GSO.  It was also a warm storm with temperatures never falling below freezing.  Our 3.5” from that one had limited impact on the roads.  I don’t have a thermometer, but I’m guessing the temperature is 32-33 given there was still a lot of running water and I saw no icicles.  Another couple degrees colder would’ve helped a lot.

The side roads which were under shade this afternoon are actually kind of slushy, though, so driving conditions may be a little dicey.

Well we have sleet in Chapin, SC just west of Cola.  Likely the best I am going to see this winter.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Based on RadarScope, the Raleigh area still has at least a couple hours of precip left..  You have to use Precipitation Depiction mode to really pick up the light snow bands..  It also appears to be backfilling a little near the triad.

• Like 1

Just now, PackGrad05 said:

Based on RadarScope, the Raleigh area still has at least a couple hours of precip left..  You have to use Precipitation Depiction mode to really pick up the light snow bands..  It also appears to be backfilling a little near the triad.

I just noticed that too. It looked like half an hour ago that it had passed Winston and now it’s back built.

5 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

I might be hallucinating, but these seem like some of the heaviest rates I’ve seen since sundown right now here in SW Durham.

Are you north or south of 501? I’m gonna go look.

Had to drive from NE Durham down to work right near RDU for a power outage related emergency (off Page rd). Do not recommend. Traffic lights were at least working all the way there, but rotten visibility. 

82BE2326-6570-481F-A17E-68A943BA4F67.jpeg

Back home now, flakes still falling but it sounds like rain in there too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thess said:

Had to drive from NE Durham down to work right near RDU for a power outage related emergency (off Page rd). Do not recommend. Traffic lights were at least working all the way there, but rotten visibility. 

82BE2326-6570-481F-A17E-68A943BA4F67.jpeg

I live close to there. We've had off/on power flashes for the past few hours. Probably got 2.5 inches. Maybe 3. Very very wet snow.

• Like 1

Just now, BullCityWx said:

We got anyone in Newberry SC? Looks like it’s close to snowing there.

Someone just posted a page back that there was sleet coming down there  :)  

• Like 1

Welp.. it ended here a little while back and just glad to whiten up the ground some.  It was what I suspected it would be - a very wet slush.  The lack of HP over the northeast was enough of a clue.  Regardless, it was a nice little respite to the afternoon.  Here's to a March surprise! 

• Like 3

Just now, buckeyefan1 said:

Someone just posted a page back that there was sleet coming down there  :)  

Close to Winnsboro as well. I want to break that damned streak.

4 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Seeing that in Moncure as well

Still some light snow falling here in the Triad but I'd guess accumulations are over. Measured 1.5" on the back deck which is certainly more than I expected this morning. Nice to have something to track and see some snow fall.

27 minutes ago, jpbart said:

Well we have sleet in Chapin, SC just west of Cola.  Likely the best I am going to see this winter.  :rolleyes:

^^^^^ Here's the post  :)  

2 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Close to Winnsboro as well. I want to break that damned streak.

:lol:     I've lived through worse winter droughts while there   :P  

Ended up with a little over an inch here in Dry Fork. Congratulations to the bigger winners in NC! Hopefully we can get a bigger one before the season is out

• Like 1

Just now, Orangeburgwx said:

Apologies for the poor quality 9ae806b246c8e4213e22e64fb4f60cfc.jpg

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

No offense but that's a terrible pic LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LOL - this is the first time we've ever lost the satellite signal on DirecTV for snow. all 1.5" +/- of it!!!

The dish was replaced 2 years ago. Must be designed differently.

Just now, Solak said:

LOL - this is the first time we've ever lost the satellite signal on DirecTV for snow. all 1.5" +/- of it!!!

The dish was replaced 2 years ago. Must be designed differently.

The same thing here in Goldsboro with Dish Network.