• Member Statistics

    16,025
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Wxman3441
    Newest Member
    Wxman3441
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
Tar Heel Snow

One More Shot: Feb 20-21 Event

Recommended Posts

I think the one thing that is interesting to note is the HP being configured over the plains generally favors the eastern portion of the state from a CAD perspective. It doesn't funnel the dry air as close to the Apps as well as a banana HP parked over PA. That may be part of the issue for foothills and NW Piedmont from a snow total perspective. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's not much, but for those in the Piedmont of NC a few of the models (GFS, Canadian, UKMET) have been showing a narrow band of light snow moving through from north to south between 1am and 6am Friday morning. This has been showing up for the past few runs and depending on the model looks like it might have the potential to bring an additional 1/2 to 1 inch of snow for those lucky enough to find themselves under it if it were to actually develop. 

It shows up nicely on the latest run of the RGEM

1991095364_rgemgig.thumb.gif.89430905a1993eafbe9c1e5cd1d52d68.gif

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just a coincidence that current SE regional radar mosaic mirrors the modeling - showing the lee side precip shadowing in NW piedmont? 

I mean it looks just like the total QPF maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tullioz said:

I know it's not much, but for those in the Piedmont of NC the a few of the models (GFS, Canadian, UKMET) have been showing a narrow band of light snow moving through from north to south between 1am and 6am Friday morning. This has been showing up for the past few runs and depending on the model looks like it might have the potential to bring an additional 1/2 to 1 inch of snow for those lucky enough to find themselves under it if it were to actually develop. 

It shows up nicely on the latest run of the RGEM

1991095364_rgemgig.thumb.gif.89430905a1993eafbe9c1e5cd1d52d68.gif

I have seen that as well.  It's a long shot, but If it does happen the ratios would be much higher then as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tigerchick224 said:

 


Blue Ridge/TR. Not quite north enough to be the mountains, but not Greenville either. I hope you guys will get something soon! It’s crazy how the 850s haven’t present as much of a problem and now it’s a precipitation amount thing. emoji849.pngAhhhh to live east of the mountains.


.

 

Just went to put something in my car and i seen sleet pellets mixed in on top of my car with rain.

I'm in Taylos about 2 miles SE of paris mtn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, downeastnc said:

WInd's pick up as the coastal gets cranking and there should still be some good rates going on...

 

Yep, I've thought it'll look impressive for y'all for a while tonight. I think you are set for this storm! Makes me miss my time living in Winterville. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest RDU totals via Kuchera Method:

15z HRR = 2.2

12zGFS = 1.8

12zNAM = 3.5

12z RDPS = 5.9

 

Average = 3.3 inches at RDU

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HKY_WX said:

Latest RDU totals via Kuchera Method:

15z HRR = 2.2

12zGFS = 1.8

12zNAM = 3.5

RDPS = 5.9

 

Average = 3.3 inches at RDU

That seems the most likely, since we will need to waste QPF for a change over to snow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, tazaroo said:

of course I'm on vacation in Cancun and I'm following the weather anyway.  Crazy I know.  I live in Ramseur and still wanting snow when I'm not even there.

We’re in Turks and Caicos but I’m following too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

That seems the most likely, since we will need to waste QPF for a change over to snow.

I think the only way we get to the RDPS or higher is if we find ourselves in this banding that will setup tonight. It will likely setup east of Raleigh, but if it were to setup over us, that could be a game changers. This is all due to the PJ wave diving in behind, giving some last minute life to the SLP/atlantic fetch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Latest RDU totals via Kuchera Method:

15z HRR = 2.2

12zGFS = 1.8

12zNAM = 3.5

12z RDPS = 5.9

 

Average = 3.3 inches at RDU

 

Any thoughts on the beefing up of totals in the southern coastal plain last few runs? Between Fayetteville and New Bern, totals have doubled on many of the models in the past 6 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HKY_WX said:

I think the only way we get to the RDPS or higher is if we find ourselves in this banding that will setup tonight. It will likely setup east of Raleigh, but if it were to setup over us, that could be a game changers. This is all due to the PJ wave diving in behind, giving some last minute life to the SLP/atlantic fetch.

Thanks for the information. I am south of Garner, near Clayton. Models appear to have RDU area in at least 3 inches, so who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StantonParkHoya said:

 

Any thoughts on the beefing up of totals in the southern coastal plain last few runs? Between Fayetteville and New Bern, totals have doubled on many of the models in the past 6 hours.

I do think there will be some banding setting up after 7PM over the eastern piedmont/coastal plain. I'm just not sure if this sets up over Fayetteville or closer to the Rocky Mount/Greenville area. Or potentially further north towards Elizabeth City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jjwxman said:

I have seen that as well.  It's a long shot, but If it does happen the ratios would be much higher then as well. 

It's a long shot for sure and the area that would be affected extremely small geographically, but it could very well be the highlight of this event for some if it does in fact materialize with gusty winds and the higher ratios at the time it moves through. The latest run of the Canadian has a little over an inch of snow falling in the Greensboro area between 1am and 7am. 

band2.jpg.f75103efbbda9680e2d300daab4e708c.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Radar returns west all the way into Ms. look pretty robust.  I suppose the orientation and movement could result in some down-sloping.  But I am just glad to have something to track after this crappy winter.  Two weeks ago at this time we were hunkered down in the Emergency Operations Center with an EF2 tornado on the ground in the southern part of the county headed our way.  It's sleeting outside now.  Quite a difference.  No complaints here......yet ;)  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Upstate Tiger said:

I don't get some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Radar returns west all the way into Ms. look pretty robust.  I suppose the orientation and movement could result in some down-sloping.  But I am just glad to have something to track after this crappy winter.  Two weeks ago at this time we were hunkered down in the Emergency Operations Center with an EF2 tornado on the ground in the southern part of the county headed our way.  It's sleeting outside now.  Quite a difference.  No complaints here......yet ;)  

Yeah I don't get the lack of moisture complaints. I haven't seen any sleet, and cold is certainly an issue, but there's plenty of precip.  For those lucky enough to have the cold, you'll be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Yeah I don't get the lack of moisture complaints. I haven't seen any sleet, and cold is certainly an issue, but there's plenty of precip.  For those lucky enough to have the cold, you'll be fine. 

I think it's mainly driven by watching the NAM nail us run after run. Did a lot to raise expectations. The reality is this has looked like a 1-3" event with some upside potential since Tuesday morning

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, olafminesaw said:

I think it's mainly driven by watching the NAM nail us run after run. Did a lot to raise expectations. The reality is this has looked like a 1-3" event with some upside potential since Tuesday morning

I'm certainly no expert, but at this point, isn't what is falling out of the sky and the radar more of an indicator than the models? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

I think it's mainly driven by watching the NAM nail us run after run. Did a lot to raise expectations. The reality is this has looked like a 1-3" event with some upside potential since Tuesday morning

EXACTLY. My only disappointment was this may not turn into the higher end weenie storm. This is still going to be a good snow for much of the state and I think every county will see flakes. That's pretty rare! If we get 2" in Raleigh I'll be happy. 4" and I'll be ecstatic. Those are my thresholds here for the storm. I think everything is on track for the forecast.

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw a video from one of the high rise buildings in Atlanta with flakes mixed in to the rain. Pretty cool, but also kind of a kick in the face sitting here in the Mtns watching it rain lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the new hrrr is now showing that band of snow now across the southern upstate/midlands. I find this rather impressive given it's surface warm bias which skews against it's snow forecasts. Only reason this might work out is flow in the mid levels is out of the northeast instead of north or northwest..in which case there would be no chance at all. 

 

sn10_acc.us_se (4).png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

HRRR really ramping up snowfall in SENC:

 

sn10_acc.us_ma.png

 

 

That's gotta be painful to see for the folks in the downslope screw zone.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.